Prioritizing "readability" over program speed

>prioritizing "readability" over program speed

Attached: durrr.png (1300x2000, 307K)

>yeah it's a blank screen, but it loads quick
>i just have to guess what i'm typing and whats there

>yeah it uses 4 GB of ram and if we optimized it would only use 500 MB, but readability allows us to higher cheaper workers and outsource labor to the third world easier.

>he thinks his unreadable code makes his program faster

>adjusting colors and sizes makes you consume 3.5gb more RAM
maybe you should download some more then, faggot.

Reminder, you're writing a piece of software to run on a computer. Not writing a fucking piece of prose. If you don't code for performance and function over meme readability, you're not a real programmer.

I doubt the modern programmer could even make it three pages into SICP.

>has never wrote a program greater than 100 lines

>choosing a more difficult to implement option for performance reasons for a job that completes in microseconds anyway

Attached: 1521061213917.jpg (1440x1080, 160K)

>needing to write more than 100 lines for any program

Attached: laff.gif (498x278, 1.06M)

Yikes.

Yes, most professional coders do write more than hello world.

object oriented programming sweetie :)
just make a bunch of classes built upon classes. you'll never have to write more than 100 lines for each individual program (class)

>for each individual program (class)
n8 b8 mice

>yikes
fuck off back to your magic alien upcummies website you fucking bugman

Cringe.

Attached: 59a1.jpg (600x901, 66K)

>yikes
>cringe

Jesus christ, user. Who hurt you?

Attached: Dr7bo4uWoAAB5fC.jpg (868x1200, 396K)

>yikes
>cringe
>who hurt you
okay now you're just trolling

Attached: 43d60e8d9d2d80aec8079613db44d650_400x400.png (400x400, 265K)

Python just gets it done in half the time. C++ is good and all for optimisation and high performance stuff but if i need to get something going quick and easy python is the clear choice

Good luck debugging your software

The fuck are you talking about. Have you never heard of a compiler? Only brainlet programmers write obtuse code that slow development speed that fucks over the company they are working with

This. It's not the 60s anymore; hell, it's not even the 80s.

but SICP encourages easy to read simple code you retard.
fucking larpers

I don't think you understand the concept of write once read forever. I care spare some performance if it means that devs 3-5 years from now can still understand the bullshit i write today.

Jow Forums is honestly very frustrating. So many larpers, I don't know why I even try.

Most software development, excluding special cases- hence “most”, does not require the optimization of days of yore. And once the system is delivered you can identify the bottlenecks and shunt them into ugly methods while keeping the rest of the codebase readable

really it's not black or white, both can be considered important and both could be prioritized under special conditions

>have that weird guy at work
>he delivers on his work and its fast, but its oddly protective of his code, doesn't let anyone work on it. Management lets that slide because he's been here for years and everything he does is solid
>he's eventually fired after yelling at management that they don't "understand his genius" when they try to get people to work with him
>we have to completely trash his work and remake it, as it's an uncommented, unreadable mess. Filled with low level hacks and tricks
>It would take us longer to read and understand his code than to just remake it.

teamwork > performance.

But you're on Jow Forums, you autists would never understand that.

Jow Forumslets don't write anything sophisticated enough to need more than print statements to debug their code.

>Filled with low level hacks and tricks
And what's the matter with this if it's running fast? Sounds like your low intelligence is bottlenecking society.

>And what's the matter with this if it's running fast? Sounds like your low intelligence is bottlenecking society.
Because maintenance is a thing? Because you typically don't write software that'll get used forever and will likely have to be extended or updated? Fuck off larper.

OP is an idiot. Ideally you want speed and readability, but I'd rather have readability than 0.5% increase in performance or 1% less memory usage.

>it runs faster because the variable names are shorter

Attached: 1548035677488.png (1000x500, 176K)

Unless you deliberately used shit data structures and algorithms, there is only so much you can do to optimize by hand while hurting readability.
99% of that will be done by the compiler anyway, which will perform a far better job.
It's perfectly possible to write clean readable amd efficient code, butchering it in the name of "optimization" will give you a 0.5% edge at most.

You have never actually read SICP.

If your code looks like shit i won't hire you. Don't make stupid premature optimizations the compiler will have to undo for you. As long as the order of operations and the algorithm used is optimal, then I'm happy. Developers read code 10 times more often than they write it, make it readable you easily replaceable dipshit.

Attached: 3595_DcmmnqDa.png (600x600, 167K)

>"yeeaaahh boii brevity is elegant"
>source code looks like a soccer field
>no one on earth could understand what he wrote
>"well it is running so its fine"
>few years have past
>even he himself can't understand what he wrote anymore
>muh brevity

>larps as the greatest programmer
>mentions SICP to gain credibility
kill yourself faggot

Attached: images (10).jpg (559x263, 19K)

>he doesn't optimize based ob measurements and Amdhal's law
I really just optimize bottenecks and critical paths. For rest I prefer simple design and implementation.

Wisest comment so far.
Performance is important, but writing int v = 568; instead of int variableThatDoesThis = 568; will make you crazy once you come back go understand your code months later...

If the program does its job, it doesn't matter how fast it does it.

New CPUs come out every year. If your project is readable, scalable, and well object oriented, it will be easier to write-in SIMD and other assembly trash.
It's important that you have a clean baseline that lasts the ages that you can modify as you go.
Else you're left with mediocre trash that neither compiles for older machines and different architectures, nor utilises new CPUs, and is completely unworkable.

Too obvious man, but still, have a (You).

>prioritizing execution speed over readability in a non performance based application

Attached: 402.png (485x443, 64K)

>he thinks he has agency over optimization when the compiler can literally just throw out your code because it feels like doing so
Fgsfds

>non performance based application
doesnt exist

Literally 99% of gnu applets are non-performance based.

Is fizzbuzz performance based? How about hello world

based

what the fuck is a gnu applet

ls, rm, mkdir etc

You guys are not arguing about the same thing

Pro tip: You can write clean code that also has good performance.

You are just stupid.

Yeah, some programmers forget about existence of profilers, debuggers and other tools.
Then they blindly optimize everything.

Readability comes first, optimize the host path after you profiled it
Obviously try to keep performance in mind as you write the code though

Ever read the code? They optimize things that don't matter and it's unreadable garbage.

this is why functional programming is adopted nowhere and haskell is still "ready for industry but no one fucking uses it."

but im gonna throw the argument that tilts Jow Forums a lot: "well, dont hire dumb programmers that are slow then"

Attached: raughs.jpg (1022x547, 57K)