/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: hangingout.jpg (480x679, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

old.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/aithmh/raymond_hill_creator_of_ublock_origin_ubo_and/eerce78/
linux.die.net/man/4/mouse
interestfree.com.au/shop-interest-free/view-retailer-listing.html?category=appliancesandelectrical).
imagemagick.org/download/windows/releases/
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.blinkt.openvpn&hl=en_US
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wireguard.android
youtu.be/_3IxsXoVimU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Interesting that you mention that, considering the latest Mozilla situation
old.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/aithmh/raymond_hill_creator_of_ublock_origin_ubo_and/eerce78/

Is it time to throw it out or nah.

Attached: Capture.png (664x573, 67K)

can someone make me a build for gaming? i wanna play gta, battlefield and the upcoming anthem. i can only pay 600$ tyvm >.>

Attached: 1548478174254.jpg (620x413, 19K)

>The built-in thermostat on the heater probably just cycles power anyway, so I don't get the 'annoyance of starting up and turning off'.
They just turn off abruptly for around twenty minutes, then come back on. The switch timers are just distracting to be around. The constant on-off cycles to keep a decent temperature are distracting noise wise.

>installing better insulation
This isn't my building. So, that's a no go.

I literally just want something to reduce the wattages a tad.

GPU is FX 5950 ultra
I'm having a good time retro gaming on win98 but when I tried installing WinXP it would always fail to boot since the processor is old as fuck and when I tried WinFLP the gpu would cause crashes. Can I use a linux distro? What would be recommended for a dual boot, if possible?

Attached: SULAFAT.png (640x480, 27K)

I want to backup some files to an NTFS external hard drive from a EXT4 partition.
The files will be used if my distro change fucks up the this partition to recover the contents and/or to share some files with other computers/devices (e.g. I might copy some files to a Windows laptop or connect the drive to a TV to watch some films I got there).
Hoping to use rsync instead of cp, but I read that rsync -a doesnt work on a NTFS drive. Although I also read stuff like "If the NTFS partitions are mounted on a *NIX device, rsync is good" so for the first use case I'd be good, but I'm not sure. Help.
Anyone with experience on the same problem?

Sounds like you have an older system. Generally, lightweight distros like lubuntu are recommended for this, at least if you're new to Linux. You might also want to try Void linux, as that can be set up to be even lighter (like, much lighter), although it is a bit more complex in some ways.

can i safely downgrade my graphics driver to a version prior to the one installed by default(before any manual update)?

I don't see why not. I've never tried it myself, but i've heard of people doing it with NVIDIA proprietary drivers when they didn't agree with their system for whatever reason.

my WRT54GL is dying, what's a good replacement? something with gbit ports

>the latest Mozilla situation
You mean the latest chrome situation. Of course FF could always go along with it, but we're not at that point. Hell, it's a great way of reminding people that their pluggin system is actually still way better than chromes.

Could someone recommend an Android to PC screen mirroring app that allows control from the PC?

I've used Vysor before which works nicely, but its a subscription. I'ld rather have something that I can buy once or not have to buy at all.

And I know a google search gives a few alternatives, but its nice to get an opinion from someone that may have used one since quality in the world of apps is all over the map so I would like to avoid some laggy piece of shit or spyware if possible.

Attached: mirror.png (264x191, 2K)

scrcpy

Do these releases support serial mice or would I need to update to a PS/2? The Win98 installer found the mouse right away but when I tried a live cd for Gparted it wasn't having it.

>You mean the latest chrome situation.
You mean the latest firefox situation. They're basically the same browser now.

Well according to this manual page, it would seem that serial mice are indeed supported. You can always test stuff out on the live system before installing if you want to be sure though.

forgot the link
linux.die.net/man/4/mouse

Thank you, you glorious bastard.
Also, you were right, pic related.

Attached: 1547785196191.jpg (1024x577, 68K)

Not having this argument again. It never goes anywhere useful. If they decide to follow google's lead, I'll cross that bridge when we come to it. But for now this is something shitty that chrome is doing, and firefox has not.

Oh cool that is perfect thank you. Seems to work fairly smooth too.

Pushing my luck but nothing that works on before 5.0 is there? Have a few back on kitkat. No worries if not.

What's some good all female ecchi

Attached: 1546145451117.jpg (337x290, 56K)

I have an old Windows Vista laptop and I want to reset Windows on it to clear it out, but I no longer have the windows install disc. How can I get around this?

Pirate windows 7.

does anyone know matlab? Im trying to simulate a network that receives frames , queues them, and does some work on the frame. Im trying to implement this with a queue as a global var, and i need sleep() commands to work exclusievely in their own function without stopping the execution of the rest of the program

such that i can call sleep(5) in one function while the rest of the program continues, is this possible in matlab?

Is Tor the only and/or best way to access the dark web? What are some sites to purchase things?

For some reason /dev/vmon seems to have disappeared after a funky shutdown
So now I can't boot up my VM
Any idea how I'd fix it?

Attached: 4c5abe3561accad67e19bd48c349f17d56659ffab9fe80073d10068b708fde26.png (545x689, 72K)

What does it mean when an application is blocked from my graphics hardware other than that I'm using a fucking terrible shit of an OS?

How to uploaded all of my videos to the cloud?

i probably know the answer to this one but whatever

I bought a monitor in nov 2017, it broke in june 2018 and I mesasged the seller at the time of it breaking with pictures etc, never followed up with them because I cbf to ship an ultrawide monitor

now I want to get a new monitor and ended up looking for the same thing, will they still honor the warranty even though it expired in november 2018 seeing as I messaged them about it before it expired?

What laptop should I get? I have a budget of $1000, But i can only buy it from these stores (interestfree.com.au/shop-interest-free/view-retailer-listing.html?category=appliancesandelectrical).

Attached: 1548660890083.png (674x563, 16K)

My Samsung Galaxy S2 is stuck in a boot loop and I am pretty sure the reason for this is a complete lack of space. I heard that it's possible to still backup the phone data by flashing a CWM kernel on the phone.
Does anyone know how that works with the missing space? Does this kernel replace the old one and thus not require any additional space or do you actually need to put the kernel on an SD card (if that's even possible)?

Attached: samsung-galaxy-s-ii-jelly-bean[1].jpg (960x642, 83K)

Why does my CPU uptime keeps ticking when I shut down my PC

Attached: CPU uptime.jpg (115x61, 2K)

noone replied in the prev thread and some other user also has the same issue so reposting:

hey so i have fresh install of debian testing with xfce on 2 computers.
At both, i turned off all the power management timers for auto sleep/screen off after some time.
Yet, when i manually hibernate or suspend the system, or manually lock it with xfce default lock function, sometimes, when i want to resume and login back from any of those states, my lockscreen is totally black, no mouse, nothing. So I have to blindly type my username, tab, password and enter, only then the screen is lit up again and logged in.
Sometimes its a pain in ass that i rather reboot the system.
How fix

sudo apt purge light-locker

wait what the fuck this isnt tpg?
how the fuck

I'm trying to get back into computers to hopefully have a career change.

What's the careers field even like anymore? I might re-learn a programming language.

can you theoretically make granite plates carved with instructions how to encrypt/decrypt rar archives, then store information on other granite plates that contain an encrypted .txt thus saving the total amount of granite plates required to make big amounts of information last?

Attached: 1533246658387.png (550x550, 356K)

>try to install ejabberd on Debian server
>install the .deb package through terminal
>just installs, which is not what I expected from the tutorial
Now what? Was an admin password even set? And why was it installed in /opt?

Is OpenCL worth learning?

Is there some tool or way in windows to mass compress png images to jpg? I could just do each one in Paint but that's way too much work and I'd rather not do an online tool

imagemagick
mogrify -format jpg -quality 90 *.png
imagemagick.org/download/windows/releases/

thanks thanks

My Asus UEFI BIOS freezes when I save any changes I've made in the Advance Mode. Meaning I am not able to enable Intel Virtualisation or enable OtherOS boot mode due to me having to hard reset the machine.

I've replaced the CMOS battery and adjusted the jumper pins to reset the BIOS but the problem persists. All the hardware such as my 2x 4GB RAM sticks are registered by the machine. I have also updated the BIOS to attempt to fix the problem but no luck.

This problem has led to me not able to use Virtualbox.

How do I fix this Jow Forums?

Attached: ASUS-UEFI-BIOS-EZ-Mode-XMP-Memory-Profile-Disabled.jpg (600x450, 218K)

Did uBlockOrigin break captcha on firefox for anyone else?

If I change the filename or location of torrented files will the program still be able to seed them?

Attached: Sabrina (Pkmn fanart) 1.jpg (660x819, 441K)

I can't help you locate the problem, but if that helps, I have firefox 64.0.2 and ublock origin and captcha works fine.

>filename
No
>Location
As long as you move them through the torrent client.

Why GNU/Linux CoC is a bad thing?

Because top talent won't be able to shout at trannies and keep their jobs.

Can't he just shout on real developers and ignore everything that trannies do?

It does for me, but only on nsfw boards. Also breaks my Jow Forums x hotkeys.

I've got a late 2011 Macbook Pro with a replaced logic board kicking about. Not used it in a year because it's heavy. It's beat to shit so I doubt I could sell it for more than $100. Anything fun I can do with it? Can I do a desktop conversion?

I need a new laptop, Jow Forums.

I've narrowed it down to:
>Yoga 530 14
>Envy x360 15

The HP one is on sale, $60 cheaper. They're both Ryzen since Intel is deprecated and I'm going to run Linux.

Which one do I go with?

hello
i am thinking about establishing a chat with my dad who i basically never speak to and i mean like ever. im thinking discord which is gay as fuck. and skype is almost worse but still ggaycord is fucking gay af.
i just wanna 1v1 chat idc about special functions, need a oldschool MSN style of chat. and not facebook cause i aint gonna be ZUCCED again aight. using WINDOWS 7 ON BOTH PARTIES.
any suggestions welcome

Attached: 18f3e0dbee88c245.jpg (1080x870, 395K)

Look into Wire.

I have a 144hz monitor, is there any point in running games that are 60 fps locked like Tekken 7 at that refresh rate as opposed to 60hz?

irc

fuck you

what are the cons of using win7 on ryzen laptop? no meme answers like dx12 or security. im more interested in anything hardware limiting shit, like power saving or some other things. how does it work?

Are there any good VPNs on fdroid?

Attached: 1547815433566.png (607x455, 279K)

Is it possible to make the tabs that I open in Google appear black? Even with dark theme on, it still makes tabs with a bright white background appear briefly. It really hurts my eyes since everything that I have on my pc is dark-themed.

My windows 7 laptop started freezing yesterday on every boot within 5-10 minutes.

Works fine in safe mode for any length of time and I haven’t installed anything new recently.

Notably it’s 5 years old and the battery is pretty fried. Backing up files now in case it’s an hdd issue.

I don't even think there's drivers for the GPU, best you search if there's Vega 8/11 Win 7 drivers. If there isn't maybe try Vega 56 drivers but I doubt that'll work.

Sure, OpenVPN or WireGuard.
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.blinkt.openvpn&hl=en_US
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wireguard.android
Were you expecting me to recommend one of those proprietary, service-specific apps? Don't be silly!

Attached: Felix.Argyle.full.2021292.jpg (1181x1748, 1.1M)

>45-60 min to clone a 30gb VN and another hour to copy the file
Is it my computer showing age is it normal?

I'm not fully sure, but some of mirroring (popular and shilled on youtube) apps turned out to be malware. I'd be cautious.

well fuck, just started looking into it and there are some problems with vega drivers even on win10

>ls -l /media/user
>drwxr-xr-x 3 user anon 4096 Jan 28 14:36 ssd-256gb
Why do these permissions not allow me write access? (Me being the user user)

I have since rectified this with chmod g+w, but shouldn't the the user permissions alone permit write access?

flash TWRP (installs to the recovery partition, so it doesn't matter if /data or /system is full), then boot into it. you can backup from there (also install cfw's like lineage, if you haven't done that already, you'd wish you did it sooner)

User has read/write/execute while group only has read/execute.

As long as you're the user you should be able to write. Weird.

The only explanation I have is that whatever write operation you did wasn't done as the user 'user'.

Decided to add testing and unstable to my sources list 5 minutes before going to work.

Attached: debup.jpg (649x573, 169K)

Meant to say "group and global", but whatever.

what is a good html IDE?

Got an old laptop connected to my bedroom TV which will only be used for torrenting/streaming movies. Should I keep the 500GB HDD that's in there or buy a 120G SSD? Will there be any real performance difference if I just turn it on, watch a movie then shut down?

I'm in the market for a new GPU soon (more like ASAP) and I'm eyeing off the RTX 2060. How would it stack up to say an RX590 or a Vega56? I may use the meme rtx feature a little bit, but it honestly doesn't bother me. I just want to max out at 1080p.

The main issue with the 2060 is the amount of vram, but sine you're just going to max out at 1080p, that will likely not be a problem (unless you like a lot of mods for certain games maybe). Forget about RTX gaming on anything less than a 2080 though. The raytracing is more or less a scam since you won't really be able to use them on the lower tiered cards.

Hope that helps.

>The main issue with the 2060 is the amount of vram
This was my biggest concern desu. I'm actually buying it for RE2 (I've realised I need an upgrade from my 770....) which is obviously VRAM hungry. If you hsd to pick between the 56 or 2060 which would you go with (they're evenly priced at the shop I buy from)?

need to convert flac to whatever audio format. what's a good program for windows?

probably not a HDD issue since it runs fine in safe mode.
reinstall and everything should be fine

I'd buy the 56 because I don't like Nvidia. Putting away my bias however, I'd consider the increased support (on Windowns and games) to be a bonus, not to mention the fact that the 2060 draws less power (I think). But for overall performance in games, I'm not sure which one is better.

ffmpeg

>I'd buy the 56 because I don't like Nvidia
Neither do I desu, but I consider a necessary evil due to

>I'd consider the increased support (on Windowns and games) to be a bonus

Plus I still have flashbacks of AMD/ati drivers crashing every 15 minutes back in the day.

Check this out if you haven't already though.
youtu.be/_3IxsXoVimU

Windows 7
CPU: Core 2 Quad q9400 @ 3.36Ghz
RAM: 4GB DDR2
Old GPU: 7950HD 3GB
New GPU: 1060 6GB
Video card placed in PCI-e 2.0 slot

I'm getting 30-40fps in Dota after upgrading my video card, whereas before I was getting around 60-70fps. I used DDU in safe mode to remove the old AMD drivers before installing the nvidia drivers, so I don't think it's a driver issue. MSI Afterburner shows 80% CPU usage in most games, which probably indicates a CPU bottleneck. HOWEVER what really confuses me is why my fps is LOWER than my old card, and not the same, which is what I would expect from a bottleneck.

Attached: 20190126211607_1.jpg (1920x1080, 495K)

Anybody mind sharing their settings for madvr (using it with MPC-HC for reference)

Sure.

Uninstall that shit, install mpv, and you're good.

No need to thank me.

but muh gui

>using an IDE
>not just using notepad++
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Are solid state hybrid drives worth it? Or are they just not as good SSDs?

Attached: SSHD-exploded.jpg (1274x1878, 336K)

Definitely not.

Alright, it looks a lot better and is less of a pain with fiddling with all the settings

My laptop more or less froze a bunch of times from just typing something into the reddit search bar. How is this even possible? Is reddit that bad?

SSDs prices dropped so much you should just go with the real deal

I'm about to buy the HP, Jow Forums. Please stop me.

my phone keeps dying at ~30% and the number is steadily increasing. (today it died at 45%)
this is happening even after I replace the battery with a brand new one. galaxy s4 here.

what do?

Can someone answer this question?

Attached: IMG_20190128_071558.jpg (768x1024, 74K)

is it safe to uninstall WMP from windows 10 or does it have some codecs that mpc requires to work or something stupid like that?

Attached: Windows-Media-Player-icon.png (256x256, 16K)

you should ask reddit