you can't play games on linux

> you can't play games on linux
This is a lie. Windows has no advantage over Linux now. Software runs better on Linux than anywhere else. Including gaymes

Attached: WoW.png (1872x995, 1.88M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IWJUphbYnpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>20 year old game
>only gets higher fps because it doesn't have full directx support and thus have worse graphics but muh fps is all that matters to the mentally ill freetard
lol lonix truly is amazing

>hah, I can play wow on low settings! Jelly, winfags?
No, not in the least

Attached: yikes.jpg (1646x1242, 1.58M)

Attached: the musical.jpg (900x900, 109K)

What is gpu passthrough ?

>posts all day how linux can't play games
>linux starts playing games better than windoze
>"m-muh freetard"
loling at your life right now

I can increase the graphics. But even on windows I set the graphics as low as I can. A constant 60fps is a lot better to me than things looking pretty.
hell, early game WoW still has textures from 2005, so there's not much of a benefit even if I set graphics to ultra high

Doesn't count unless it's native because you still depend on Windows

>can't play on higher graphics settings
>can't play a good game

Why did you make this thread? You know very well that even if Linux played every game at twice the FPS than Windows, no one would switch.

>look peenux can run a 15yo popular as fuck game
>cant get 60 fps on a 15yo game
Literally kill yourself

>Software runs better on Linux
OP, please

Attached: 1548211139610.jpg (319x319, 16K)

>he doesn't know wine 4.0 supports dx12

Linux is a kernel. It does not have games.

I was able to run flawlessly Darksouls 3, Stalker, the Walking Dead, Tales of Berseria and various smaller indie titles through DXVK
I've moved from windows thanks to that, whats the point of windows if i can run most of the games on linux

Attached: 1548316157582.png (600x600, 137K)

yes they would

You're right.
I should have said wine/dxvk/kde/linux. Or as I have recently started calling it, wine+dxvk+kde+linux
GNU is by far the least useful component in a wine+dxvk+kde+linux operating system and is probably the most hurtful
Hell, I only use a very small amount of GNU software. I don't use bash, GNOME, GRUB, I use LLVM instead of GCC. Hell, I could probably replace gnuutils with busybox.

Was getting a better experience with WoW way back in 2006-7, back when I still thought gayming was kool.

I can't play GTA V Online anymore due to recent update, neither Planet Side 2 because of the BattleEye thing.
I can't find a decent circuit simulator on Linux (QUCS sucks).
Had to wait months to finally have stable video drivers for Ryzen 2500u.

Other than that, it's extremely efficient for productivity, multimedia and programming.

Considering most people who use a PC don't know alternatives to Windows exist and do not know how to install another OS anyway, I strongly doubt that. Even if we go past that, it's easy to find (poor) excuses for not switching in threads such as this one. If nothing else, people want to avoid being branded a communist or geek or whatever like it matters.

brainlets won't switch no matter what, you've got the point

80% of people who's using an Android smartphone have installed ZERO applications from Google's appstore. Some of them could be sideloading lots of apps, but even if we pretend 2% do that there's still 78% who only use the apps that come pre-installed on their phones (now you know why there's so much bloat pre-installed on phones).

It doesn't matter if GNU/Linux gets a lot more user-friendly and magically becomes able to run all Windows games perfectly when it comes to winning people over. The vast majority will use whatever OS is pre-installed and a large portion will use whatever software comes with it. Edge has a huge market share and Bing is a popular search-engine and it's not because those are so much better than the alternatives.

user, can you help me run path of exile on linux?
everything I tried - doesn't work
help me

Lol look again

Gamers have a lower percentage of tech illiterate people. The reality is there are a lot of people that just want to play games and would be thrilled to switch to an OS that works more consistently than fucking windows. The pitch is literally: Do you want an OS that doesn't constantly download shit? I know 10 people that would switch instantly.

Google Lutris, can run any games Windows can and it's easy to set up. I'm new to Linux and can do it.

Basically all games run natively on windows, and only so many on linux, just because you can run them with crutches and extra body movements it doesn't really mean anything.

I tried lutris, tried proton
have all required libraries etc etc
it closes while trying to run
would be nice to get rid of windows partition

CSGO just doesnt feel right on linux. Its the only thing keeping me on windows

ah, nvm, just fixed it

I assume this is some sort of a private server because most of MMO games run some sort of anticheat engine that usually won't work through wine.

nvidia optimus doesn't really work well on linux, does it

I will say drivers still kinda suck on Linux. Especially AMD
NVIDIA packages everything into one deb. With AMD, prefer the open source drivers. And you need to install vulkan separately

>kinda suck on Linux. Especially AMD
AMD's Linux drivers are fucking great. What are you talking about?

OP, I don't know what you did, but I can run WoW at -much- better settings with Wine 3.x and DXVK. Try Lutris, I guess.

Anyone remember DOS gaming back in the day were each game had its own drivers tailored specifically to whatever hardware you owned and everything worked super smoothly because of that with less resource problems? Now everything runs through 3rd party drivers and relies on raw hardware power to make up for the problems.

I love how people say "Linux has no games" when you can play more games on it than on any so called "gaming" console.

now play a modern AAA game
ill wait

In what sense do you mean? I use it on my Ubuntu laptop, and I was amazed how easy it is to install and use.I had always seen people bitching about how shitty it was and how hard it was to get working, that's not the case in Ubuntu. I will admit it rapes your battery life when using the GPU, though.

>can't play most modern AAA games
that's why Linux is better than Windows, filters out shit games for you

I've still experienced a little bit of bugs dealing with Mesa. Some games refuse to start because mesa's reporting the wrong opengl version. You need to set a env var to set it to a newer version

>PC gayming
I dab on you virgins

Attached: AF4174E7-E9C0-4CB6-A611-A5322F0ECE86.png (400x394, 144K)

There are tons of videos on youtube of people doing just that. If anything, popular shit is pretty likely to run, but overall compatibility is still shit.
Like, let's say I want to play Underrail, I feel like it's a pretty good example because it's a game with older engine, it's 2d and its system requirements are basically nonexistent.
So, what do I need to run it? Well, I need a wine prefix with .NET XNA and vcredist, so I shove in the stuff(and I need to temporarily alter kernel's security setting to install .NET, lol) so it should work now, right? Aaand no, it'll fail to load its embedded audio library thing, so I need to set up all the related stuff as well, and it'll run with some glitches and it'll also freeze on exit.
On Windows? I'd just install it and that'd be it, yay.

dumb fuck doesn't know that without GNU, there wouldn't even be projects.

test

Without bell labs there wouldn't be computing
Maybe we should be calling it "ATT/Linux"

OP is right youtube.com/watch?v=IWJUphbYnpg

Attached: 1456351490163.png (500x469, 291K)

Winfags on suicide watch

>What is Steam
>What is wine
>What is proton
>What is VM ( if nothing above works )
kys OP

my wintard games actually run BETTER under wine and ~70% of them work with no issues

>WoW
back to /v/ you /v/ermin

Some games wont work under wine
I literally have 1 game keeping me from uninstalling windows at this point. Rainbow 6 siege wont run in wine due to its anti cheat software.

by the time the $60 walking simulators goes on sale, it works on wine anyway.

But how good is Proton in other distros?

You can play games on Linux, but why should I use Linux on hardware built for gaming, when I'm going to loose around 20-50% on average in performance compared to LTSC for example? That's just waste of money without anything positive.

Attached: 1548698119570.jpg (808x748, 85K)

>I'm going to loose around 20-50% on average
false

Anti cheat is cancer and spyware. Just don't support games which use it. Fuck em.

Attached: Capture.png (110x154, 51K)

>That's just waste of money
That's gaming in general,you ass plunderer.

You'll actually get banned if you try to play on the official servers like that.
I know because I lost an account doing that.
Appealed the ban, explained why it wasn't cheating, they didn't care.
I honestly thought about suing but it was a fresh account with barely any play time and no other games so I didn't bother

Proton is still shit. It will take several years until it's actually decent enough to just switch to Linux but I'm glad valve is doing something

Nope. The games I play all run at minimum 20% worse. Plus a lot other just for testing.
I use Linux, just not for gaming, I've done all the tests and benchmarks first hand.

True, but what's it in life? At least I try to life efficiently, gaming is a fun pastime, I better spend money efficiently on it, instead of working harder to get the same quality or worse with less time to enjoy it.

I'd switch if I could play ss13 on lonux

The truth sometimes, subterfuge, lies by omission, and blatant disregard what would actually be best is your techniques. Basically you guys act like vegans or atheists. What compulsion makes linux users try to recruit people into their "cult"?

WoW works fine on Linux because they use SDL

Dwarf Fortress and Touhou run fine on my dinkpad running GNU/Loonix so I'm happy. There's some tiny input delay because of wine but I'm not going for LNNs so it's not a huge deal.
Need to test how well this thing can run vanilla though since that's coming out in like 6 months or something.

Proton or Lutris?

Attached: 1547644581917.png (303x166, 5K)

Nice pumpkins
Not playing on Linux, retard

fuck off commie

fpbp

>He doesn't play SuperTuxCart on Trisquel GNU/Linux-libre

linus torvalds says video games are for children

>better
questionable

What the fuck is your UI
>fish

But can you play Resident Evil 2 Remake? :^)

I play CS:GO on Linux without problems. I can't play Overwatch and Fortnite, however.

UI how so? Terminal or game?
Terminal is dark breeze for both the terminal color and WM theme
Makes it look like one solid block how I like. Terminal also has "No border" since I mainly control it via keyboard shortcuts
Fish is running oh-my-fish with what I think is bobtheocean theme.
I have it a little cleaner on my laptop. But this is very similar to how I set up my terminal. Only very minimal changes like transparent/blur. But running 18.04, I don't have that yet

Well they aren't average gamer age is in the 30s now.

>gaymes
I don't mind that we can play Windows games on GNU/Linux now, it's fine. But the obvious question is why, what's the point? And would you even bother installing a GNU/Linux distribution if you're a NEET 30-40 year old man-child playing games all day? Aren't those children who got physically older but didn't grow up just as well off using consoles?

>Windows has no advantage over Linux now.
Technically wrong. A lot of games perform better on Windows, the hit may vary.
Still, it's not a big deal.

The point being helping people break free and realize there is a choice and you don't have to take the abuse of microsoft or buy expensive macs?

>Overwatch
>Dying game with retarded developers

Don't worry, not missing much there, It's going to go F2P in the near future so they might improve later on, who knows.

I am allergic to DEs

Attached: its_GNU-Linux.png (864x864, 453K)

>I am literally too stupid to fix my arch install after pacman fucked up my x config: The Post

> linux cant max wow on a i5 with a rx580
Fucking lol

I guess if your willing to not play certain games if their not supported or spend hours getting them to work its fine.

I played WoW with wine over a decade ago. You think you're special nigga?

Wine doesn't count.

>wine doesn't count

I can't get retail wow to work but 1.12 is flawless, I hate blizzard.

I was too, but then I bought a decent laptop and switched to KDE.
It just werks.

Help X and KDE are eating up 6GB of RAM!
Why did I leave you Microsoft?

commas are cool tho

>retail
>not vanilla
dropped

which anime is this from?

Got any sources for those numbers?
>Edge has a huge market share
In what world?
Chrome being the number one browser and Mozilla Firefox being the 2nd one don't leave any market share considered "huge" by any standard.

>instead of 9001 fps you'll have 7200 fps
the horror