Do you guys have a console?

Do you guys have a console?
Do you have strong opinions on whether to get a PS4 or a PS4 Pro or an Xbox One or an Xbox one S or whatever options are out there?

>inb4 /v/
I don't want to talk about videogames specifically. I think it would be an interesting thread to see Jow Forums's opinions on consoles.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.comasd.jpg (1600x900, 448K)

get a computer.

I have one.

PS4 because it runs FreeBSD

> Do you guys have a console?
Yes, older generations

> Do you have strong opinions
Yes. Definitely stick with PC / Steam and build your own vidya computer.

Much bigger and better games lineup overall, far cheaper per game, mod support, and so on. Basically all the advantages you could get.

If you must play with a controller, just use the controller of your choice.

PS4 and Switch are the only ones that matter, Xbox if you just wanna play GTA with your bros

Personally I don't but my wife likes games and I can play whatever I want in her PS4 and switch, and also use stuff I like Netflix. That way I can play Doom 2016 and watch movies without having to use botnet services or botnet operating systems in my computers.

Attached: 1472172596559.jpg (507x800, 102K)

only niggers buy xbox

Not OP but I'm interested in both. Except a decent PC is a little too expensive for me right now.

> PS4 and Switch are the only ones that matter
They have what, 15 exclusive titles between them and you don't even want to play 5.

The rest is the same shit that is available on PC, but at a higher price and you'll be playing it on worse hardware.

And if you counted PC "exclusives", you got more by a factor of 100 or something like that. You probably don't even have time to play the console exclusives if you do these.

But you can already emulate the Switch exclusives that matter. PS4 is a just a Bloodborne machine.

I don't play many games and buying a complete system only to play a few seems like a waste to me. With consoles I can buy one for $400-300 at the beginning of the generation and then play games for years and years, no mention they're extremely useful as media centers (I still use my PS3 from 2007 as Netflix machine and such)

PC + Steamlink for me with steam controller or Xbox 360 controller depending on the type of game.

I bought a Nintendo Switch recently for the portability and Nintendo titles (Mario, Donkey Kong, Smash, Zelda etc)

I'd say just get a PS4 to cover your console curiosity.
PS4 Pro is not worth it though, you need an exceptional screen to actually notice any difference.

I have the old PS3 fat of my older brother that I only ever used as a Bluray player

Consoles simply will cost more if you actually use it, due to the game price markup.

You don't need a terribly "decent" PC to play most games [or the equivalent to console games]. Yes, you can put an amazing amount of processing power into one of these, but even the "modest" tier on Logicalincrements will play the vast majority of games on 1920x1080 FullHD okay.

Actually, even minimum might do the job... somewhere in that range is anhow where the console's hardware is. [The switch is actually below it.]

Just use a good PC with a Microsoft Xbox controller receiver. That's really all you need and it works better than a console. It's just a little more expensive.

>I don't want to talk about videogames specifically.
What else then? Consoles can't do anything else and you can't make them do anything else, maybe except the older ones and first batches of Switch, definitely not
>PS4 or a PS4 Pro or an Xbox One or an Xbox one S

>drm shaped as hardware

I know OP said "no videogames" but come on guys....
>No RDR
>No RDR2
>No God of War 2018
>No Spiderman 2018
>No Bloodborne

get a ps4

I have a gamecube if that counts

The same with PC - it's not like these are any worse as a media station, far from it.

And your games often cost $5 or less in bundles and sales. And you can play a whole lot of games from 1980 to now.

Yes, after some years you can't play the high-end 3D games "now", but you'll actually still get the nip visual novels, adventure games, platformers, and all the many other indie games [You might not have had Subnautica, but Rimworld or Hollow Knight or Stardew Valley or many others - no problem, presumably].

Same here.
Still play RE4 a lot.

You actually made me remember LogicalIncrements is a thing.
I should use it later this year to buy my shit.

I play approximately 1-2 hours of videogames a week, do you think I care about everything you listed there? I played Doom 2016 only because I loved it as a kid, now I'm in process of playing RDR2. I spend 8+ hours a day looking at a screen a day, I don't like looking at a screen MORE during my free time.

>apple tier vendor locking
If you support this sincerely fuck you.

I have a PC, and emulate. Also have a few old consoles.

I use my PS4 for PlayStation Music. It's free Spotify without ads. And the media player is handy for viewing pirate videos but it's fussy about file types. I don't really play games anymore.

Xbox is better multimedia machine
Playstation is better gaming device
Both suck compared to a proper computer

>Xbox is better multimedia machine
>can't even play bluray

Attached: 20181221_171239.jpg (368x368, 9K)

Yea, it's still an useful yardstick, and the suggested builds are actually pretty strongly with games in mind.

You wouldn't build these as servers, and you probably wouldn't need all the higher tiers but the lowest for multimedia consumption and such.

Of course you can always just not care that you got a shittier machine at equal cost with pricier games.

It's just not really an argument or a debate; I was kind-of assuming the result mattered. Consoles got virtually nothing going for them at this point, they don't even really subsidize the hardware to jew you off with the games later, it's just ~the same price for hardware as with computers and then pricey games on top, a much smaller lineup of games, and a device that has fewer uses.