Ever made your own operating system before?

I recently started making my own OS from scratch using C and Assembly. Was wondering if any of yall have done the same thing b4.

Attached: download22.png (259x194, 15K)

I've been working on one for the last 4 months. It's a 32-bit Unix-like OS in C++. It's been a fantastic learning experience. :)

How's yours coming along?

ya before starting work on my instruction set i wrote a little implementation x86 kernel as a concept but i need to implement it all over again if i can get a virtual machine written for my arch LOL

I made one decades ago, got fairly popular too

Are you following a guide? or have some sort of a reference? Ive wanted to start but have no clue where to start or how :/

pic related: current state of things

Attached: serenity.png (1020x768, 28K)

Just look up the code for first version of Linux, it's pretty small and easy to understand

That seems like it would be overwhelming

i'm developing a hypervisor currently, it's similar in some sense

for designing a generic os: the tannenbaum book, forgot its name
for making one on actual hardware: intel software developer's manual

T...Terry?

Why do people follow the POSIX specification to a T when making a new operating system? It's just a rehash of the same thing. Why not do something new or something based on a non-unix OS?

Most people do that because it gives you compatibility with a gigantic library of software. The feeling when you first get bash to run on your own OS is pretty cool.

How do you get started? Just toss some software ontop of the Linux kernel?

only fags dont write their own kernel. cant even call that your OS

When I was in college some little white boy said he would make his own operating system that would put microsoft out of business. Where are you now with that idea?

My bootstrapping process was basically like this:

1. Write an ELF loader (as a regular Linux program) that's able to load a linked ELF binary file and execute it.
2. Write an ext2 filesystem browser (as a regular Linux program) that's able to parse and browse a disk image containing an ext2 filesystem, listing directories, showing the contents of files, etc.
3. Write a simple x86 bootloader in assembly that just uses BIOS int 13h to load a bazillion sectors from a floppy, and then switches to protected mode and jumps to a static location in the loaded sectors.
4. Write a simple C++ kernel that takes control from the bootloader and does basic paging and multitasking. Also implement a simple disk device driver. (You can find very good info about all of these things on the osdev.org wiki)
5. Merge the previously written ELF and ext2 implementations into the kernel and teach the kernel to load&run executables from disk.
6. Flesh out a simple C library and link new binaries against it (statically lol)
7. Keep incrementally improving things... :)

How's the shitfuck that is UEFI treatin' ya?

Doesn't seem to be anyone who realized this is Terry's first fucking post

"gigantic library of software"
read: GNU command line tools and exactly those, nothing else

I wrote my own OS because I am the smartest programmer to ever live. I was chosen by God to build his Temple. I was given divine intellect.

To be fair, gcc is a very useful GNU command line tool.

T-terry?

clang > gcc
By license (even if the new Apache 2.0 is pretty awful in its own right; OpenBSD might fork over that) and by technology contained therein.

That man... was steve jobs...

What's wrong with uefi?