How secure is whatsapp?

How secure is whatsapp?
Many normalfags use it. Is it at least better than Telegram?
Btw, there is an article on vice, about how the Federal Criminal Police Office in Germany uses Telegram to easily spy on people:
motherboard.vice.com/de/article/435gbd/telegram-ueberwachung-bka-chat-app-verschluesslung

So Discord and Telegram are obvious botnets that shouldnt be used, but how secure exactly is Whatsapp and its End-To-End-Encryption?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (299x168, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6916860
security.stackexchange.com/questions/49782/is-telegram-secure/49802
m.heise.de/security/artikel/Test-Hinter-den-Kulissen-der-WhatsApp-Verschluesselung-3165567.html
github.com/signalapp/Signal-Android/issues/281
forum.f-droid.org/t/signal-in-f-droid-in-2018/2847/4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

WhatsApp is a Facebook-Service and closed source. If there is a botnet messenger, it is WA.

WhatsApp has a PDF where they explain the encryption that they use but i never read the whole thing

it's just sms with a false sense of security because everyone you talk to backs up their chats on the cloud, and they're stored decrypted on the cloud.

>Telegram compromised
>IF
>you don't enable encryption, and
>they have a warrant for your Telegram communications, and
>they already have a warrant for your cell phone number too so that they can wiretap the confirmation SMS sent to your number and register a new device to your account, while preventing you from receiving said SMS

>Many normalfags use it
Like yourself. I'd recommend anything implementing XMPP, but it seems you'd be too retarded to turn on encryption anyway, so it's a lost cause.

>Like yourself.
this is where you are wrong, tranny.
and nice job defending the telegram botnet, now kys

Moxie helped them implement the Signal protocol, so unless they intentionally subverted it (which can happen in a closed-source program), it should have reasonably decent E2EE (i.e. way above Telegram's homebrew crypto mess).

If you don't already exchange Signal safety numbers with your peers to avoid getting MITMed, there is basically no difference.

What about wire? Is it better than telegram? Hmm.

Please explain to me what's wrong with Telegram's E2EE (given that the user has the required 125 IQ points to enable it in the first place).

why is it not enabled by default

>Whats app

Attached: Goofy Indian.gif (291x241, 38K)

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6916860
TL;DR: security.stackexchange.com/questions/49782/is-telegram-secure/49802

What do anons think of Wire?

/thread

Nothing is secure.

>you don't enable encryption
It's literally impossible to use telegram unencrypted.
>they have a warrant for your telegram communications
The keys are split and halves are kept in countries which hate each other.

>If you want a real secure means of communication on your phone, look to more reputable projects such as Signal or WhatsApp
Yes, just use a closed-source client which you can't audit, that's definitely more secure.

whatsapp is shit when you have two devices it keeps asking you to verify your number

I didn't write that post. However, WhatsApp is supposed to be using the Signal protocol and encryption and, to play devil's advocate, I'd say that the possibility of subverted security in a closed-source program is slightly better than the certainty of a known-broken one in a FOSS client.
TL;DR: use Matrix with E2EE enabled, or at least Signal

lmao yeah how many open sores shit have you audited nigger?

Don't Indians have their own knockoff WhatsApp

>using literal botnets
>not using smoke signals to communicate
Didn't know this board hosted the fa/g/got general.

The telegram client. And even if I didn't, the fact that it's FOSS tells me they have nothing to hide.

>is supposed to
This is a terrible basis for security. It's not even worth considering. I'd definitely take Telegram despite "dude we found a collision" or whatever over "yeah they said they're using Signal".

If you weren't a retard you could check if whatsapp does what it claims to do or if it hides additional traffic: m.heise.de/security/artikel/Test-Hinter-den-Kulissen-der-WhatsApp-Verschluesselung-3165567.html
But, alas, as a retard you're stuck with telegram.

>you can audit closed-source code
I can't read Kraut, but I'm guessing they did some comparison between the sent packets and the result of encrypting the message with Signal's lib and it matched. Which means that one time, it did use E2E. What about the time you're messaging a POI and it sends the message encrypted with Whatsapp's public key as well, so they can store your conversation? How would you test the existence of this scenario?
At the end of the day, you're the one calling me a retard, but I'm not the one trusting a closed-source client with all my information only because the developers pinky-promised it was safe.

I would love to not use it but normalfags don't let me.

There is no other way user. There can't be a paid IM service that would be secure with good privacy policy. It's either free with a probe in you butthole or none at all. Normies won't pay for IM.

>TELEGRAM BAD
>WHATSAPP GOOD
>USE OUR BOTNET PLATFORM

the source of clients and client libs are on github, you fucking idiot

why are you posting links to bullshit?

Attached: 1520619365327.png (720x716, 102K)

You must be pretty stupid if you think "Open Source" can't be insecure or even botnet.

That doesn't make it not a broken protocol.

>How secure is whatsapp?
They fully support 'end to end' encryption. as in, they have the full ability to record the encryption keys you're using. It only costs them a single silent update. They probaly already have this. Datamining your text messages by decypting them while claiming in court its 'end to end encrypted' with no guarantees that facebook isn't decrypting them or that the keys wont fall into the wrong hands.
>there is an article on vice, about how the Federal Criminal Police Office in Germany uses Telegram to easily spy on people
yeah. Telegram is 'secure' but doesn't train its users to recognise the break points.

Telegram being secure is a STUPID MEME. Telegram is UNENCRYPTED by default. You need to enable it. Zero security. That doesn't make WhatsApp being encrypted by default any better since it's proprietary botnet, but also doesn't make Telegram in any way more secure.

Use Signal faggots, it's nit optimal, but the best we currently have and a bunch of normalfags already use.

Of course it can, and of course you can audit it.

>Telegram is UNENCRYPTED by default
I seriously wonder if you people actually believe the lies you make up. Not only are you lying, but it's not possible at all to use telegram unencrypted.

>Telegram is UNENCRYPTED by default.
False. Post proof.

That's incorrect, the group chats are encrypted, but the messages are stored on telegram servers.

They're currently planning on connecting Facebook, instagram and Whatsapp so take a guess

The desktop client (really just a shitty google botnet wrapper) is awful compared the mobile app which sucks already. Still no dark theme by the way.

Use Signal.

Attached: Signal_Blue_Icon.png (1024x1024, 15K)

WhatsApp shares metadata and other bullshit with Facebook servers for User Experience (tm). I'd rather send plaintext messages than give data to Facebook.

I know for a fact that any midlevel intelligence officer of any US agency has complete access to all your WhatsApp conversations and images. Literally everything. I know this from personal experience and have confirmed with an American embassy security officers.

>How secure is whatsapp?
Who knows. They claim it's secure, but proof for that is a bit lacking.

And the bigger issue is trust - even if it was secure, they could sabotage that with the next update. Do you really trust that company with much?

> Many normalfags use it. Is it at least better than Telegram?
Probably not. Why would it be better?

Just note that normalfags have a strong tendency to go with the most advertised, least trustworthy options.

> in Germany
You understand it's probably even worse with anything in the USA? They did give every agency permission to spy on everyone, get all companies' cooperation, and force everyone to shut up about it, with no real accountability.

Will you trust that?

>> in Germany
>You understand it's probably even worse with anything in the USA? They did give every agency permission to spy on everyone, get all companies' cooperation, and force everyone to shut up about it, with no real accountability.
>Will you trust that?
I trust the German government not to do anything unethical.

They have a great history of that.

I don't really.

But at least you might still get *some* accountability if they mess up and grossly mismanage your data or you became a terror suspect and were put under intense surveillance or whatever.

Is Signal not on F Droid or am I just stupid

Threema is my favourite messenger as it can be used anonymously.

The German government is the main force behind Article 11 and 13 because they're too dumb to understand how the internet works

It isn't.

github.com/signalapp/Signal-Android/issues/281
forum.f-droid.org/t/signal-in-f-droid-in-2018/2847/4

Then you're an idiot.

there are people on here who think normal telegram chats are encrypted
>the absolute state of Jow Forums

Attached: dubu_laughs_at_you.jpg (1000x1500, 157K)

If you're not using decentralized P2P messaging systems that avoid ISPs, botnets, and backdoors, you're an NPC.

Is kicking in apartment doors for a 'muh muslims' fb post ethical?

>asking a question that cannot be answered because it's closed source and you know it but you still ask the question

Attached: 1533336274866.png (645x729, 75K)

Jesus tips:
If there is proprietary code used then privacy is just placebo

Attached: Buddy_christ.jpg (360x276, 17K)