How serious is Meltdown and Spectre? Should they be weighed in a CPU purchase?

How serious is Meltdown and Spectre? Should they be weighed in a CPU purchase?

Attached: meltdownspectre.jpg (1700x1275, 83K)

Yes and Yes. Buy AMD for now, and keep an eye on developments in RISC-V

The hardware fix is still multiple years away. Nothing you can do.

mitigate it
disable SMT
if you must use SMT, then manually allocate threads to processes, dont let a process use a core that anything else is on.

>Should they be weighed in a CPU purchase?
It isn't a particular security risk to the individual, but the software mitigations will still be applied. That means you're gonna get less performance than they do in the benchmarks if you're using Intel; their chips are at like 28 flaws now, so assume there's more. So yes, the security flaws have decent weight when puchasing a processor.

Yeah. Just micromanage your computer like an autist.

you got a better way around it?

yes, disable smt, but keep in mind that smt != speculative execution

wait 5 years for jewtel to re-architect their chips

yeah, buy AMD

I don't know anything about servers.

How did intel fuck up this badly, they are literal years away from a fix?

>It isn't a particular security risk to the individual
I believe the original PoC was javascript that could read your memory from your browser, how is that not dangerous to the end-user.

Yeah, but I meant from a 'you're unlikely to be targeted' perspective. I know how dangerous it potentially is, but if I recall correctly, it's very slow and some of the exploits can only do random reads. They're very dangerous for companies and governments.

it dont matter

Attached: 96248d76.jpg (892x733, 79K)

Why do AMD shills ignore that AMD is also affected by Spectre.

Can you point us some use of this in the wild?

If you're a regular user it doesn't matter.

AMD shills pretend it does for normal people but every tech publication out there says otherwise. If you're doing niche tasks that is affected by Spectre or Meltdown just avoid Intel CPUs altogether.

AMD is affected by one single variant of spectre, and it's easily patched with no measurable performance loss.
Operating systems will get patches for these flaws, reducing the performance. It doesn't matter if they're a threat or not, the performance hit is there. Very few know about the actual flaws, and even fewer know that you can turn the mitigations off.

>tfw you use a Motorola 68060
>tfw no meltdown or spectre
>tfw still a virgin

Attached: ec06c28.jpg (899x495, 65K)

>Not using SPARC
child

>AMD is affected by one single variant of spectre
No that was way back in december of 2017
There have been several new variants of Spectre found since then. The problem of spectre is that is a vulnerability based on branch prediction which also happens to be one of the main reasons why processors have gotten much better over the past decade.
To actually fully mitigate Spectre in all his current and several still uncovered variants we have to rethink the whole way processors work

R&D takes time. Chips are complicated. Failures are expensive.

How come there's so many Intel chip exploit but GNUman can't still find a way to libreboot modern intel chip?

nope

Attached: amd.png (3852x1521, 375K)

I wonder who could be behind this post.

Is there actually any exploits in the wild that take advantage of Meltdown and Spectre yet?

>his CPU is even vulnerable to this nonsense

Attached: amd_fd9590fhhkwof_octa_core_fx_9590_4_7ghz_desktop_1095662.jpg (2500x2500, 342K)

It "was" vulnerable to one (1) (uno) variant and was fixed in 2 weeks with no performance loss. Intel knew about the issues for 6+ months and instead of fixing it, the CEO sold stock

> how serious is a 10-15% performance drop compared to the bar graphs I see on review sites? Should performance be weighed in a CPU purchase?

Side channels are good leaking info, not so good at controlling stuff.