Pathways

>On the dole
>29
>Only ever been working at supermarkets
>2.2 STEM degree from 8 years ago
>Just over £2k in the bank
>How the fuck do I get into any entry-level that doesn't require years of experience? Fucking IT helpdesk requires experience and knowledge of other things. I'm fucking dying here. Do I need to spend money on a course or go back to uni (except this time without government funding)?

Currently sitting in the jobcentre waiting for my turn to explain why I didn't find a job this week. Been mulling over the last thread I made and drawing up a flowchart while I wait.

Attached: 0.jpg (480x360, 18K)

And here's the flowchart.

Attached: Pathways.jpg (1400x998, 664K)

Anyone got anything to add or edit? Cos I think I'm serious again about learning to code.

You get an internship or placement like the rest of us.

Don't they favour fresh young graduates for that?

You're 29, those doors are already closed to you.
You realize people your age are project managers and developer liaisons, who manage teams of 20-something coders?
Who the fuck would hire you when you have less to offer than someone 10 years younger?

"a STEM degree"
how tellingly vague

It's Maths.

Don't ruin the bit of hope I got from the last thread.

No, they favour anyone who will work for free because people who work for free are usually passionate about the subject. I got a web dev job right out of uni with a third in an arts degree.

Then why are you only focusing on tech stuff?

Area of interest I guess.

Okay that sounds like another pathway.

Nigga it's the only pathway.

Look for placements and internships at your local jobcentre then mooch off your parents for a few months until you get paid. This is only way round the boomer 3 years experience straight out of university meme

>Nigga it's the only pathway.
>I got a web dev job right out of uni with a third in an arts degree.

Like without knowing anything in webdev they gave you a placement?

IT is crawling with trannies and SJWs. Put on a dress if you get an interview. I bet they get cut plenty of slack.

No, I did some web design/dev in my mid teens so I knew HTML, CSS and a bit of JS. If you want to work in IT these are a good start, juniour frontend dev can become software dev pretty easily in the right environment.

The placement was for a web tester, I could design, code and test websites so I was pretty much hired on the spot. That turned into a 3 year Graphic Designer role that included a boat load of frontend dev and now I work in IT full time.

>No, I did some web design/dev in my mid teens so I knew HTML, CSS and a bit of JS
I was think of continuing the java learning I was doing way back earlier last year, so you I think drop it?

>The placement was for a web tester, I could design, code and test websites so I was pretty much hired on the spot.
Shit, sounds you were still more experienced than me even at that point.

Join the forces.
I'm 23 and trying to get into a technical job with the Navy now I've finished uni, it looks legitimately awesome.
Fuck all these civilian companies which will only hire you for a £25k desk job with 5 years industrial experience and a PhD.

Attached: 1544627794387.gif (220x220, 17K)

There an age limit to how old you can be to join the forces?

Shit, I got more things to mull over now and January is practically over. Might go to Nando's now. Or some cheap chicken shop.

Depends on the role. For the Royal Navy at least it's under 23 to begin pilot's training, but for some officer roles under 37 is fine.
Officer's salaries start at 31k, and everyone gets six weeks paid leave and free medical and dental.

Attached: 1544370131722.jpg (754x1158, 85K)

Even in America the cut off is like 31 for the fucking infantry, so honestly OP if you're not a fat ass just join up. You're not getting any younger, and at least in America literally everyone eats up military experience as long as it's in a relevant field, including the government.

So you do mathematics and have a interest in tech.
Have you ever considered working at a bank as a developer? Generally you would have to move into/around London but they generally pay well enough for it to not be an issue.
Even as a brainlet doing a CS course in the Staffs area I get semi-regular offers from Deutsche Bank, Morgan Stanley and Linklaters, so I'd recommend throwing a CV their way desu

*So you have done mathematics
sorry about that user

Go into teaching

To add to this, the British (and I guess others) forces often let you gain qualifications whilst you work, so an engineering officer can get an engineering masters and chartered engineering status, for example.
Fantastic for if you want to go back to a good civvie job after serving.

>27
>had a job at 18, since then haven't worked
>have had psychiatric assessment performed for mental health problems but came up inconclusive
>referred by GP to get a private autism diagnosis but would be covered by NHS because of referral
>haven't pursued it further
>currently 1 year into a math bsc at a top 10 uni but want to quit because of work experience gap

>Have you ever considered working at a bank as a developer? Generally you would have to move into/around London but they generally pay well enough for it to not be an issue.
Mathematics was 8 years ago. And 2.2 at that. I'm more than a little rusty but doing java has revived it a little. I live somewhere in London so that's not really an issue.

>Even as a brainlet doing a CS course in the Staffs area I get semi-regular offers from Deutsche Bank, Morgan Stanley and Linklaters, so I'd recommend throwing a CV their way desu
I'll do it, but I'll doubt they'll look at a 2.2 Maths degree with 5 years of supermarket shelf-stacking experience.

Like hell I would, I remember secondary school and I remember teachers being pushed down the stairs and bin fires.

Don't you have job fairs at uni?

Chicken shop or nandos?
8 wings + chips for £3 or 10 wings platter for £9.85?

Attached: Chicken.jpg (1024x768, 167K)

>Don't you have job fairs at uni?

Yes but I don't believe I have the history to be considered for those kinds of placements even if I were to graduate.

If you have £2k savings get the £3 meal.

>Yes but I don't believe I have the history to be considered for those kinds of placements even if I were to graduate.
Did you even look or ask?

>If you have £2k savings get the £3 meal.
I got paid my NEETbux today tho.

You can get some certificates in your free time, like CCNA.

You can fill in CV voids with times of self-education or traveling.

I'm 33 and was in the same position as you, but I earned some certificates and suddenly became valuable for companies, despite any holes in my employment history.

>Did you even look or ask?

Look or ask who? The people at those fairs are not people who hire you, nor are they people who are going to actually comb through your CV and give you a yes or no answer on the spot, for example I had conversations with some logistics company and was speaking to a programmer and not a manager/hirer, the same thing happened with a north-east game developer where i was speaking to an intern who had been only part of the company for 1 year, they are not going to send people doing real work to job fairs, and its not a place to comb through a CV like i said.

.2 STEM degree
what kind of degree? was it a 2-year one?

Maybe the others in the thread can help you.

No, it was a 3 year Mathematics BSc. It was at a Russell Group uni.

Dude this plan fucking sucks
>work for free
>to then get a job as a fucking tester or as a retard who reads scripts on the phone

Start programming right fucking now and start looking at bootcamps to go to. 6-12 months and you'll be a junior software developer, fuck all that selling yourself short and working minimum wage shit for """"exposure"""" and experience.

These bootcamps are the perfect place for people who are in your position.
>Network with people
>Learn the basics to get a job
>Get taught the interview questions and what you need to sneak by despite not having a degree
>They introduce you and get you a placement at a job, they team with companies that "hire the good ones"

What certs do you recommend?

>No, it was a 3 year Mathematics BSc
Bro I know a Mathematics Master from UK in a famous corporation with 0 years experience, working as a programmer. Female, of course

...but that's what most of the last thread was recommending?

I'm getting the 10 wings platter at Nando's with 2 sides: Peri-salted chips + coleslaw.

>Dude this plan fucking sucks
I mean this is what most of the last thread was telling me?

Cheeky nandos

Create a portfolio of works demonstrating specific skills
Apply for jobs that use those skills.
Work you did for yourself or just for the experience counts as developer experience in the eyes of employers, and you can build software from your government funded Thinkpad.

CCNA is the easiest. You can pretty much learn it in a few weeks just by getting access to the Cisco material (the course is online) + pirating stuff like CCNA for dummies and CCNA nuggets. You have to pay to take the certificate test though, unless you get it through government education, like we do in Denmark. Shouldn't be too expensive.

that alone should make you desirable for entry-level IT-support positions. Once you've got your foot in the door, your place of employment is likely to start paying for more certificates, and you'll be even more valuable.

However, if you just want quick bux, learn a useful programming language. No one gives a shit if you've got education or a good CV, just as long as you can code.

Your plan gets you to the first step of getting a job at an IT helpdesk. If all you want is "a job" then go for it.

It does not ever at any point lead further than that, because you will work 9-5..At a helpdesk.
Why would anyone hire you to write software if your experience isn't even writing software? How does that make sense?

fuck these certs its too much of a time and money investment

just do coding tutorials for basic webdev shit and put html css javascript on your cv and apply to every junior role and you'll land something....eventually if not just carry on watching videos and learning its piss easy shit might be boring but its a desk job and brainlet enough for me

I need to get my foot in somewhere right? And I need money, the dole cannot sustain me, so why not something inside IT?

Also the flowchart has alternative pathways and maybe you can edit or add some more direct path to becoming a software dev and hookers and blow.

take top left.

The problem you are missing is that you will actually also need to learn how to be a software developer.
That does not just happen because you worked in IT or some other "tech" job.
You will know nothing about software, or any programming languages, or anything advanced at all, why would they hire you?

It makes no sense to reach your goal. It makes no sense for someone to hire you, and it makes no sense for you to want to work those jobs in the first place.

Are you gonna learn full time and work at the same time? Sounds unlikely. Because most people are too tired to do anything after their 9-5 of work. Plus it would give up all social life, free time and anything else you ever had going for you. It's just not realistic.

If you really just want a job, do some web dev bootcamp, some wordpress shit or front end bootcamp. At least that way you will be actually writing code, with a career that isn't too far off the end goal, and it's easy as fuck to get into.

That's for when I reach 30.

Are there no part-time positions available in helpdesk?

You didn't tell us which uni last thread. Go on, spill the beans

Recently at my place we had a 50yo intern who had been doing animation for 30 years. All you have to do is not slack off and work towards your goals.

>>currently 1 year into a math bsc at a top 10 uni but want to quit because of work experience gap
idiot. being a student is the easiest way to get a job. you can apply for internships and grad schemes. don't be a faggot baby and drop out.

Why are you so curious? Do I know you IRL? I doubt it.

I cant give much advice per say, but I can tell you what helped me
Experience in interviewing and being professional
I left uni at 23 with a solid CompSci degree, then I failed a few interviews for software dev etc, because of my interview skills and lack of experience.
I lucked out at the end of that, got a job as a junior technology consultant, that was a year ago, now I'm working for a big client as a software developer / consultant, fantastic job satisfaction

If I were you, I would apply to as many jobs as possible, and continue to build up your interview skills first, followed by tech skills.
Maybe try to build something, like a small application or game to show as a project

good luck mate

Mind if I ask how much you get paid?

>CCNA
>easiest
It's not that easy. I failed CCNA once. Studied more, passed the CCENT but now it's lapsed so I'm back at square one.

>On the dole
Just bleed the beast m8. Why would you want work hard just to pay the government to fuck you over instead of living the government subsidized NEET life?

I'm still hanging on, its just that you and everyone else simply telling me "stay in uni, get a job because you've got a degree" says absolutely nothing in terms of tangible results.

what sort of results are you expecting right now? you're still in uni man.get an internship this summer and you'll be raw over the barrel to be fucked by employers come the end of third year.

My A-Levels are A*A*A* in math/physics/chemistry, i had to withdraw my first uni year because of a medical issue.

I'm definitely looking for summer internships, or any degree-level entry into the technical sector.

by withdraw* i mean exit and continue this year from the point i left

How is OP supposed to buy a fursuit on NEETbux?

If you were browsing this website during late 2016 to mid-late 2017 and were in need of money you would've opened up Jow Forums
You would've invested in the crypto bullrun of 2017, so why didn't any of you?

The DWP are arseholes about claiming the Dole for longer than 6 months. Op needs to get off it ASAP before they make him work for free at Poundland or The Range or something else shit.

Why didn't you invest in facebook/instagram/uber/whatever?

Because you weren't knowledgeable about it as a viable investment. Frog memes and shitposters are not immediately posters who allude me towards sound investment.

It's ≈£300 a month. That's barely anything.

I wouldn't be able to have Nandos often.

>Op needs to get off it ASAP before they make him work for free at Poundland or The Range or something else shit.
charity shop

I knew about bitcoin way back in 2008 or something when neckbeards were drying fruit underneath their mining rigs and then literally dying because of the heat.

How was supposed to take that seriously?

Nah that's what you do for the first couple of months to get them to lower the job search requirements to near fuck all. Free cups of tea and bants with old women is the true dolescum life.

What the fuck is a 2.2 STEM degree?

Lower 2nd class Mathematics BSc (Hons)

I think it's roughly ~3.0 gpa.

>It's ≈£300 a month. That's barely anything.
you'd get 1200eur minimum in Scandinavia without any pressure and a free apartment

>what you do for the first couple of months
And after?

>without any pressure and a free apartment
Lucky bastards. That's like a proper salary.

Go learn a trade. Perhaps the U.K. provides reduced trade school tuition costs for someone in ur situation. Best of lucc.

Fulfill the base requirements of your claimant agreement, 'apply' to x amount of jobs weekly (they tend not to check before the six month marker pops up), find a local employment advice charity and engage with them for added dolecred. Also helps to make lists of training courses and ask your DWP advisor about routes of access and funding, it makes you not look like a lazy bum but with the minimum of effort. This was all pre universal credit but it should still apply. Source: scummed the Dole for a year before landing a trainee role with the local council IT department.

You want to do qa? My gf does that and doesn't even have a degree. You're not looking in the right places.

Lie

Being on the dole queue is soul-destroying, especially when you see the other people in the queue.

>You're not looking in the right places.
Mind directing me to the right places?

I added to my chart.

Attached: Pathways v1.1.jpg (1400x998, 488K)

>tfw no rewards on my nandos card

I hope that 2.2 was the cost of some sweet BJ's and partys and not just wasted playin' vidya.

>not just wasted playin' vidya.
I'm sorry, I was.

And get caught out?

I'm clsoe to the red reward, a whole chicken and regular sides.

Looks like this thread is gonna sink. Last post I guess.
Probably gonna just apply to as many junior dev positions and try to build a portfolio in the process.

If anyone can up a more concrete plan, I'll buy them steam codes/nando's gifts cards/programmer socks/bd dildos/console or whatever junk you want with a month's salary when I get a related job.

Night.

Attached: Peace out.gif (200x200, 948K)

>waiting for my turn

good plan