Should I buy these? what kind of things could I do with servers...

should I buy these? what kind of things could I do with servers? Sorry I would have put this in a questions that don't deserve their own thread but there isn't one open.

Attached: hmmm.png (682x625, 527K)

You could host an encrypted email service like cock.li and shill for donations from your users.

If you have to ask the answer is no.

>should I buy these
are you ready for the fact that they are loud, power hungry, and have limited RAM capability?
they are essentially useless

I could be interested in messing with them as a hobby
based

not even to fuck with? I have no need for servers in general but for the price I feel like they could be fun to have

>not even to fuck with? I have no need for servers in general but for the price I feel like they could be fun to have
the 710 is a fair bit better than the 2950
i guess if you really want to scratch the itch go for it
why even ask if you already have your mind made up?

The 2950 is like 13 years old

You might be ok with the R710 and I'd ask for a single for 10-20

They're computers. If you already have a computer you're already there.
If you're curious about the internal layout of a rackmount you can save yourself the $75 and look it up on youtube.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

The R710 is a neat machine, if old as hell nowadays. RAM is dirt cheap.
It seems to lack drive sleds, but once with them you can mash it full of SATA drives for a... big noisy NAS.
The 2950 is junk. I think you can nab the drive sleds and jam them in the R710. That's what it's good for.

Worth $75? With dual CPUs (so you get the coolers), dual PSUs, some RAM and all the damn drive sleds, yeah.
Otherwise not.

I have an R710 with some low power Xeons in and 64GB of RAM, if you want to actually use it for homelab-related things then I don't see why those wouldn't be bad, the 2950 is a piece of shit though, super old and power hungry.

This, I've got an R710 running dual X5650s (12c24t total) and I've just used it to familiarize myself with having a home server. Running proxmox on it with a bunch of VMs, doing stuff like hosting plex/ftp/smb/vpn/dns, and there's still room to do shit like fucking with pfsense. Besides power draw (I don't pay for electricity in my apartment) they're a great learning platform with all the expandability and enterprise functionality (Make sure whatever you get has idrac enterprise).

>limited RAM capability
wut - let me know when you can afford to chuck 288GB in your Thonkpad/GaymerPeeCee/whatever

tbf, they're not fucking quiet tho. You dont want this shit in the same room as yourself, ideally.

I have a Z820 with 256GB RAM
But that's just my workstation

>not 288GB
ramlet

honestly fuck Colorado I absolutely despise women from the fucking using stupid fucking whore hope they all fucking die shove yourself up you fucking shit in vaginal wall

>storytime!
tell us your wimmin woes user

Servers like these guzzle power, produce a shit tonne of heat and noise. And they're weaker than an Intel i5 from 2012. You're better off just renting a VPS.

I have an r710 with low power CPUs and its actually fairly quiet. I keep it in my bedroom and its only slightly louder than my PC and I got used to the backround noise quickly

If you buy servers or workstations with missing caddies, look up the prices for caddies first. They can be expensive.

Attached: eHUUUAAAH.gif (235x180, 1.94M)

the fans on those things are like a jet taking off
they would have no advantage over a normal computer. The only difference usually between a server and a desktop computer is that servers are made from high quality components and have slower, but more stable, processors, most home users cant afford to run servers from their home, theres no point, why do it if you dont have to? It's a waste of electricity if you havent got a static IP address and a contract for a business connection with your isp. You may as well run a laptop as a server in a home network

>288GB
enjoy your excessive wait states

the price is worth it for the R710 alone assuming it works and has all of the parts and hasn't been gutted for the RAM and CPU

>worth it for the R710 alone
xactly - should be cheaper if you still need to schlepp away the other pair of boat anchors as well tho. dump em in the nearest hood with 'do not steel' sign

>I absolutely despise women from the fucking using stupid fucking whore
I don't even.

Attached: 1546823763727.jpg (665x574, 39K)

>old as hell nowadays
>big noisy NAS
I have one running SmartOS for virtualization.
I can't think of any reason it'd be too old for a home server. And I think 1-2U is under capacity for a NAS unless you're using eSAS and external SAN enclosures. Even the 3.5" version only has 6 drive bays and that means you need higher capacity drives and have less options for ssd caching if you use zfs.
Ideally you'd have atleast 12 3.5" bays 7 for a raidz2 + a spare, 2 for a an ssd mirror as a log device, 2 for a mirror for the rpool, and 1 for an ssd cache.
It's the quietest 2U server I've ever heard, granted that's not really saying much since it's running at about 30dba.
Rack mount it in a closet or get a rack with doors on it and shove close cell foam in the front and back (leave room for ventilation). You can even leave the back open and drape a carpet over the wall behind it to eliminate reflections and just find a way to dampen the front.

on Jow Forums, /qtddtot/ is called /sqt/, and there's always one open

1955 Dorset drive fort Collins lives 2 whores they should both be executed.

well, uh, maybe too much too specific incidental detail there user..
>i did ask
..but regardless, still cannot go blazing in Terminator Style without /some/ reason. Them being whores was just to be expected, maybe, your expectations were too high

Attached: WHORETODDLERS BTFO.jpg (1395x959, 486K)

ahahha - Holy Hell, absolute madman!

Only if you don't pay your own electricity bill and don't mind that they're as loud as a hairdryer.

I have an r710 on CI runner duty for my company. Power draw is ~120 KWh per month with dual power supplies, dual 6c xeons, and 64 GB memory.

The power draw is fine but the noise can be unbearable.

>Meet girl
>Like girl, she likes me
>This goes on for about 2years
>She asks me to move in, so I do
>after around 2 months she starts acting weird, heavily drinking always starting fights with me
>One night she asked me get ready for bed she will join me in 15min so I say ok
>Instead she goes out with her friends for 3 hours
>In the morning bring this up saying it was kind of disrespectful
>She starts saying that I'm emotionally abusing her
>Bigfight.webm
>She throws me out
>Try and speak to her about it rationally but within about 1 week she's hanging around with a guy called Adam and not replying to me for days
>I asked her why is she hang around with another guy when she told me that she loved me she just said to me that I'm a coward for leaving and said I'm toxic
>So now I'm homeless and no where to go with no job
>This was around 4 months ago I've started to pick my life back up since then but losing my place to live was a big down for me

tl;dr girl asked me to move in with her then threw me out and cucked me.

Attached: FB_IMG_1548809578031.jpg (960x540, 26K)

yes, it's a fucking steal. just for the cases themselves.

You can produce more heat than your average AMD housefire user. Why would you want that?

>stuck his dick in crazy once
>all womyn are bad

incel detected

Finally, an intelligent post

I never said that

But nice head cannon

>Virgin detected

>don't have an actual purpose in mind
>just fucking around and learning new things along the way apparently isn't enough
I just don't get these questions, maybe I've just forgotten what it's like to be in the same position. They'll compute literally anything that can be computed and do it faster and more correctly than you ever will by hand, how that can make your life more fun or interesting or efficient is up to you.

>split-level
they already have suffered enough

Thank you for this user made me laugh a bunch.

Attached: IMG_20181020_180735.jpg (3648x2736, 2.55M)

>threw me out and cucked me
your fault for giving a fuck after she was clearly whoring around
>I got thrown out and now wtf she's with another guy?
take a hint
times change little nigger, so do people
>head cannon
nvm, you need an IQ > 70 to post here