Creating an ISP

I want to retire on a tiny island where few people live, but I want good internet. How does a person even begin to lay an underwater fiber optic cable?

Picture related.

Attached: 1532690456600.png (609x414, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ui.com/airfiber/airfiber24-hd/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ask Ajit... he's always mentioning this random ISP in Minnesota that only has 4 subscribers.

Attached: ajit.png (540x672, 259K)

but im Canadian

Start talking to companies that lay underwater cable.

If you pay for it, anyone will do anything.

Good luck with the permits.

Then you shouldn't be on the internet.

Consider line of sight microwave transmission. Might be cheaper in TCO and easier to get permits for.

This. You can get decent long range wireless transmission gear even for your 23km stretch. It's orders of magnitude easier and cheaper than laying undersea cable, even if you needed towers on each end.

5g will get you better speed than cable at a fraction of the cost. By the time you'll retire, wired connection may probably become obsolete.

point to point wireless link, $500 maybe for the two routers and antennas, renting space on some comms tower is probably going to be the main cost

You still need a wired backhaul to the access point though

>5G
So where is the tower gonna be? It'd be out of range on the mainland and need to be connected with a fiber cable from the island to the mainland or it won't work.

If your serious, your best option right now is a Mimosa backhaul from whatever tower you can rent space from nearby. They're going to charge you an arm and a dick, and there's no way you'll be profitable without a sizable (1000+) subscriber base.

You're going to need to put that mimosa pair at least 200ft up, preferably higher because large ships and waves will completely destroy your signal.

You're also going to need a management system, a billing system, traffic shapers, firewalling, a router and enough BGP knowledge to configure it, and a second fucking mortgage to afford all the gear.

Oh and when you breach contract and can't provide service you're going to want liability insurance.

>No internet whenever there's bad weather

Depends. I've seen low-5GHz take blizzards to minimal effect, but something like 20GHz or 60GHz will shit the bed.

>wired
>obsolete
Literally kys
There's no coming back from stupidity like this.

ui.com/airfiber/airfiber24-hd/

As long as you're not from Toronto. It's all chinks and cunts.

Point to point radios will probably be cheaper, just needs line of sight.

Underwater cable only makes sense when dealing with hundreds of kilometers.

>5g
>24km
i don't think so brah.

Maybe not 5G, but 5Ghz radios can easily manage it.

These puppies will do 100km with line of sight and manage around 1gbps throughput.

Attached: 2019-01-30 00_21_34.png (933x671, 144K)

You get Rogers or Telus, negro

this, p2p radios will give you decent latency if it's only ~20-25km.

Throughput should also be decent assuming you can find someone with a tower nearby that has ethernet/SFP connection for sale.

total cost should be under $2500, which for the distance you're covering is dirt fucking cheap.

how is savary? been meaning to head up island and go there

A dedicated long range microwave transmission & and hardware to handle the bandwidth. You are looking at 15k at least in hardware cost and you will need to lease space on a radio tower as well as business class dedicated fiber connection.

Unless you are rich or some based HAM guy it isn't very easy to setup.

Attached: 1543887746416.jpg (331x314, 23K)

I haven't been back since I was a kid, but my grandfathers land is still there, and I think the rotting cabin he built himself.

It's mainly a summer vacation spot for people who want to play on the beach and jump off the pier into the water, I hear most people don't live year round. They have landlines, but everything runs off generators (propane) and drilled water wells. There's very little there, otherwise.

David Bowie did it. Ask him. Oh shit nevermind

God I want to punch that smug pajeet faggot in the mouth. A goddamn corporate whore.

Attached: linux performance observability.jpg (960x648, 79K)