Faster than traditional HDDs

>faster than traditional HDDs
>convenient; less wires running through your case
>last a pretty long time depending on how often you use it

Besides price, what's not to like?

Attached: pro.jpg (321x157, 10K)

Redundancy.

The cost was so much more than I could bare.

THOUGH I'VE TRIED

>Besides price, what's not to like?
In some cases the placement on the motherboard - specifically the BACK of the motherboard.

Gee I want to replace my 3.5" HDD with a bigger one
> unplug cables, replace HDD, plug cables back in
vs
>detach everything from the motherboard, unscrew the motherboard, install/replace M2, screw the motherboard back in, attach everything
Corner-case I know. But it's a wtf were they thinking. Of course, I've also had to deal with PC cases were the 2.5" drive was on the back side fastened by screws behind the PSU (as in remove the PSU to add/change 2.5" drive)

>Redundancy
That's one's solvable, just add a HDD in --write-mostly RAID1. Write speeds will obviously be slow but you do get the M2 read speeds.

>If you spend waaay more money you get something better
woooooow, how insightful OP. thanks!

Mounting that dinky little locking screw in a desktop is a bitch even with the case sideways. No idea why they didn't make a little lock latch like they do CPUs for desktops.

The flush mounting position on mobos means you have room for one, maybe two at most. No high speed data hoarding for you, M.2.

If you're one of the poor dumb bastards who has to reinstall windoze 10 on a mobo with two M.2s: there is a bug that won't let you reinstall until you disconnect other drives. Try not to lose your screw.

Attached: 1425861450516.png (263x323, 138K)

What if motherboard manufactures started putting m2 slots on the back of the boards? Would make it easier.

*slaps dick across your face*

Back off???

Yeah those little screws suck. I could see motherboard manufacturers developing a connector which sticks up off the board rather than laying flat, with a RAM-type locking tab to hold it in place on the other side. If they stuck up off the board in the same way than RAM does, I imagine you could fit about four in the space that one takes up now. brb filing my patent now

Lots of modern cases have access to the bottom of the mother board from one of the side panels for this reason

no BBU implies useless.

Attached: POng9wL.jpg (480x270, 23K)

There's literally no difference between these and standard SSDs now in terms of performance. It's just a matter of what interface you want. Save your money, go SSD with an HDD alongside for file storage.

Wut
How can SATA match PCI speeds? SATA isn't even full duplex!

It's not PCI speed though

nigger the drive literally connects through the pcie interface
its pcie 4x
the fuck you on about

lmao.
>techlet.
i feel you.

Attached: 1514117302684.jpg (697x478, 48K)

the price

Bit rot.

It's not THAT expensive is it?

not their fault you have a shitty computer case

The most NVMe slots I've seen on a motherboard is three, and the highest capacity NVMe drive is 2TB. That's not even half of what a single HDD is capable of.

I have one of those. Win10 still takes minutes to boot.