Powerad.ai bullshit

I usually use uBlock Origin in standard mode, but after seeing all the threads about powerad.ai and the screencaps of various recommended advanced user settings, I tried some out. After some dicking around, I got a handful of common sites I go to working fine, but there are others that are just fucked due to blocking 3rd party scripts and frames.

Currently, when set uBlock to retarded user mode, it looks like powerad.ai and google-analytics.com are already blocked. Manually setting it to block 3rd party stuff is to be what busts everything. Turning off advanced user mode obviously fixes that, but is that enough? I was considering just getting a portable browser and locking evertything down on it for Jow Forums use, then using default settings in a normal browser for everything else. How stupid am I? I'm tired of trying to keep using this place while Jackie Jow Forums keeps fucking things up, but I'm also incredibly stubborn.

tl;dr - is uBlock Origin on babby mode considered "safe enough" on browsers like Fire Fox/Pale Moon for Jow Forums, or should I be going full tinfoil hat mode?

Attached: images.png (450x530, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode:-medium-mode
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>it looks like powerad.ai and google-analytics.com are already blocked.
Pic related. I know it's an old version of UO, but that's the latest version that runs on Pale Moon. I'd screencap Fire Fox, but it just shit the bed and decided to lose all my settings, add-ons, and bookmarks.

Attached: THIS IS AN OLD VERSION OF UBLOCK BECAUSE PALE MOON.png (495x392, 8K)

>is X good enough?
good enough for what? put yourself on a scale from one to ten of how much you value your privacy, then compare that to a scale of how much you value ease of use. now find the sweet spot.

if you are using "medium block mode" how hard is it to save the settings of ur top10 sites? and allow some 3rd party scripts when a site breaks?
imo just use ublock on normal mode and try to understand how umatrix works and u'll be fine like the rest of us

for casual user like you, yes. You just need to make sure to update uBlock or the filter lists when Hiroshit added another shit in the background.

My paranoia is maximum, but that seems to break the entire internet for me. I have a fairly limited number of sites that I regularly go to, and I do as little online as possible in terms of accessing accounts with private data. I'm basically interested in blocking bullshit without having to manually tinker with each new site I go to for 20 minutes.

I only recently started messing with advanced UO settings, and I tried messing with uMatrix, but felt like I was getting nowhere. I could give it another shot.

During my recent research, it looked like UO allows for individual site settings in versions 1.17 and beyond? Pale Moon stopped at 1.16.4.8 back when Fire Fox changed how add-on shit worked, and as I mentioned, my current FF install is trashed at the moment. If it's true, though, it'd be nice to set Jow Forums to lock-down mode and then just block whatever I see come up anywhere else.

>casual user
Th-thanks...

Honestly, I'm far more into hardware when it comes to tech, and my understanding of web coding is limited, so yeah, I'm pretty entry-level on this kind of stuff. I have an add-on for Pale Moon that regularly checks for updates in UO, and I regularly check my system with a small assortment of other security software. I'd like to believe that I'm covered, but I'm also dumb.

Attached: 1546539382645.jpg (391x311, 38K)

just read this mate github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode:-medium-mode

This right here is what's breaking a lot of things for me:
>My rules pane:
> Add * * 3p-script block
> Add * * 3p-frame block

I see where it says to do this:
>Set a local noop rule for the 3rd-party script cell
>Set a local noop rule for the 3rd-party frames cell
What does that do to the effectiveness of medium mode? Does it make it just basically for show, or is this still substantially better than basic mode?

Attached: 1459383996166.png (510x346, 209K)

it blocks 3rd party scripts and frames.
visit a site which uses 3rd party scripts and frames, now start enabling with the plus symbol the ones you think arent harmful, refresh, if the site is fixed, save the changes.
The End
Just experiment with the plus and minus symbol and u'll see how many random scripts the modern sites run.

use ff profiles

just disable js fgt
about:config?filter=javascript.enabled

Okay, after messing wit this a bit more based on what you said, I've got a lot more stuff working. Some of the stuff is starting to make more sense. Cheers.

I've messed with about:config before, so I'm not against doing that, but how would one go about reversing that if it was ever needed? Just change "enabled" to "disabled"?

Attached: Screen_Shot_2016_03_26_at_10_03_08_PM.png (822x559, 425K)

Disabling js doesn't do much nowadays when you can be fingerprinted exclusively through css.

>just change "enabled" to "disabled"?
Yes. I wouldn't do that because it disables js globally. You have uBlock Origin, you should use that to disable js instead. Under it's settings tick "disable JavaScript", then enable it manually in the uBO drop down menu on sites you trust. It will automatically remember whitelisted sites. You can use uMatrix if you want even more control and only temporarily trust certain sites.

>fingerprinted exclusively through css.
how?

How do I get the shit in the left to pop up?

Is it possible to block individual scripts, or is it just an all-or-nothing option? I was just messing with it, but it turns off a number of features on Jow Forums; I'm wondering if I can't isolate which ones I want to keep and nuke the rest.

I've clearly got more to research here, but I think I've got a clearer understanding, and a direction to move in.

Click on where it says "requests blocked" - that shit took me a bit to figure out at first, too.

Attached: 65c.jpg (671x377, 210K)

It's all or nothing, but uMatrix lets you block scripts per domain. So at least you can, for example, block Google's or Cloudflare's js on sites without crippling websites.
>Jow Forums
That's why people use 4chanX and Clover (android).

If you're going for this option, you definitely should allow 4cdn.org as a third-party site (so Jow Forums's Javascript is allowed to load, although not necessarily any external scripts loaded by that), as well as google.com and gstatic.com for the CAPTCHA and cdn.mathjax.org and cdnjs.cloudflare.com for LaTeX rendering on /sci/.

I've heard of them, but never looked into them. I'll have to check those out while I'm at it.

I'll mess with those settings and see what ends u working best for me.

Thanks for the info, anons.

Attached: tumblr_ofejqo4EnT1r66h7yo1_500.gif (500x367, 626K)

>using AdGuard DNS on my phone
>never even saw the new ads
Feels good

Attached: Blokada.png (1440x2560, 123K)

>not using adaway

>not using lynx

The only ones making a big deal about powerad are either
A. Not using any kind of ad/script blocker
B. Unable to interpret what their ad/script blocker is actually doing.

Ublock Origin had the domain blocked from the very beginning, with no extra configuration necessary. The reason people made a big deal about ad engines in the past is because many of them were anti adblock, and the site would refuse to load CSS of it detected an adblocker. This is not one of those situations though, so there's no reason to care about it.