What are some of the things that have prevented a motherboard from Posting in your experience?

What are some of the things that have prevented a motherboard from Posting in your experience?

I am building my wife a pc with a Asus p7fm motherboard and I have tried a new power supply, different working cpu, moving one stick of ram to each slot, tested all the pins with a multimeter.

The led on the motherboard confirms it has power and the multimeter shows me getting power to all pins

I'm willing to try anything if you guys have advice.

Attached: Screenshot_20190130-081958.jpg (1428x1386, 679K)

you're just fucking up somewhere

Attached: 1536167544767.png (1280x720, 1009K)

LOL thank you. That's why I was asking for help.

Standoffs.

PSU. EVEN IF IT FUCKING WORKS FINE.

That's something I've found in my experience. Some shit situations where I had a perfectly fine PSU, changed the build/whatever. Powered on like once, then never powered on/posted again. Wasted a couple hours on the shit switching parts around, nothing fixed. Then changed the fucking psu and bam it worked fine. Assumed the old PSu went bad or whatever and kept it around. Then put it in another build and fucking works perfectly. Not sure why the fuck my PSU's sometimes get allergic to the other parts but that shit has happened to me.

RAM specs?

Stiff Dimm slots will not click in, loose ram.

Could just be doa. Do your due diligence. Waste 3 hours of your life on the phone with ASUS customer support and send the fucker back.

Does it beep when you remove the processor, put no ram, etc?
If you give up, you can always just go buy a new board (if you got that thing 2nd hand) or return it to where you bought it (and ask them to test the board there)

disconnect and connect everything again

If multiple sticks of Ram, try starting with each one to see if there's a faulty stick or slot, also clean the pins

if that doesn't work then it's likely the PSU

so try this, turn on your PC, leave it on even if doesn't Post

after some minutes, turn it off by holding the power button. Unplug the PSU and turn it on with the PSU unplugged, it should start for a split second and turn off again
it second and turning off

then connect your PSU again and turn it on, it should post now

has something to do with faulty or old capacitors on the PSU, doing it once might fix it, or you might need to do the same process every time you start up your PC

Not at home so I don't remember exactly but it is ddr3 2x8gb

Will cleaning it with rubbing alcohol do the trick? Or do I need something else?

>disconnect and connect everything again
This. And by everything, that means everything, including removing the motherboard from the case. Way back Last Thursday, when I purchased some kind of tower computer from Gateway, it arrived and wouldn't turn on. I didn't know what I was doing but I had a free in-home tech support call available, so I had a guy come out. Then he got on the phone with someone at Gateway, and step by step, removing one piece and checking, then another piece and checking ... nada. In the end, he removed every single bit of anything out of the case ... and then put the motherboard and PSU back in. Voila! Everything was re-assembled, and it never had a problem again.

Do a complete teardown before giving up hope.

sure make sure to dry them

I'm with this guy Sounds like something isn't seated properly. Take out everything and put it all back and don't be afraid to be a little forceful when putting it all back. Make sure everything is snug.

That 4 pin power cable into the main board....

I was considering removing the board and reinstalling. This is the 3rd pc I have built, so I am a bit of a novice. Is there any issue specific to the installation of the board to the case that could prevent POST?

I had to buy a system speaker separately and install it, and I never got a beep or anything. But the speaker pins are on the same panel as the power switch pins. I'm suspicious of that panel, but my multimeter shows me that all the pins that should have power according to the manual, do have power.

Did you put the cpu in?

Short circuits in general will do this. Modern PSUs detect them when you try to start them up and bail out immediately to avoid blowing anything up.

does not using all of the standoffs prevent posting?

i got a virus that reflashed my BIOS with gibberish once, that was no fun. RIP balboa pentium II box; mechwarrior 3 on other machines just aint the same

Check standoffs to make sure the board isn't coming in contact with the case. Check all jumper pins.

Does it beep at all when you try to power it on?

motherboard shorting on the case, ram fuckery and plugging in the front panel audio for some reason.