Why do boomers hate it so much?

Why do boomers hate it so much?

Attached: 1540900352186.jpg (300x300, 16K)

frankly. I dont understand what it does beyond a few buzzwords like.. its like a prepackaged OS that you can distribute

Attached: gentoo.jpg (165x115, 5K)

A lack of understanding regarding precisely what it brings to the table.

Well honestly who likes it when they are told to use some new meme technology thing?

It let's you create and deploy micro services with ease.

boomers cant make stateless applications

Because devops is a piss easy job and docker automates it all, potentially ruining their job as any generic developer can use docker with a small amount of time investment.

because i dont support any technology intended to make the lives of retards easier

???????

I talked with a man the other day about how it helped him distribute the teaching material for a class easily. I still dont understand micro services. How can I use docker for apersonal project that would help me learn. I am very old and will die soon so maybe.. *sips* you could help me

Attached: dilbert1.gif (1000x311, 114K)

Because it's shit software and the devs are the type that will slap on a WONTFIX after a 1000 comment issue thread with people argumenting why a particular change should be made simply because they're too busy pushing for their swarm bullcrap (or whatever they're doing these days).
Except people were doing "devops" before the devops meme became a thing. This is just same old same old under a different name.

I don't think so, actually the exact opposite. If you look at how shit IT evolved from the good old IBM 360 days (considering they were actually good), it's a fucking mess and most people don't even know how to properly use this stuff.

The majority of people doing IT these days have no idea about the "science" part in CS, they don't understand the implications of what it means to have a solid infrastructure that scales well, is flexible and doesn't need an advanced degree in everything to manage these systems.

The working paradigm shifts completely back to what used to be a systems engineer, a person that develops and administrates software. So you essentially build an infrastructure based on a hype of memelenials who think they found the next best shit for the problem of automation, while not being remotely capable of developing something solid, let alone administrate it. I mean, ffs, even the CPU architecture is so shit and to generic to get the max efficiency out of a simple platform such as docker. The ideal thing would be going back to the drawing board and pick an ASIC and work your way up from there, but that itself would require the garbage CS majors to actually know how things work, but all they do is php, java, rust and some golang for their shitty shopping webapp.

> BLUE WHALE GOOD

Attached: NPC.jpg (636x773, 32K)

Tomato tomahto.

Because they don't like change and want everything to stay the same

I still don't get what use case docker is for.

If you make some service that requires shitons of configurations and dependencies that you have to relay on a fucking virtual container to prepackage a fucking OS with all the shit you need just to run 1 application, then something is really really wrong with your service to start with.

Attached: de0.gif (288x229, 154K)

gigaboomer

its a reminder that they will die long before we do and they cannot stand the thought of that

thanks fellow boomer for your rant *sips* I still dont understand what docker is and will research it now.

from what I'm gathering this just makes it easier for the user, like in a classroom setting, to set up and use the app.

Attached: zoomer.gif (326x281, 171K)

it's because linux tries to tackle the dependecy hell in the wrong way imo.
In windows everything you install reinstalls the fucking libraries it needs, where in linux the package manager tries to hold it all together, but if you have the wrong version of a library it all goes to shit.

You've got it backwards. You share a container of your environment because you don't trust other idiots to have their shit in order.

config -> repo -> build server -> orchestrator -> container.

What apt handled in terms of specific software, you define in a config, stage it in branches in repos, pull it via CI infra to your build server like jenkins and your orchestrator deploys depending on monitoring conditions new instances.

it's not that hard, kid

what does docker actually do? from what I've read it seems like it creates a bundle of whatever libraries you want included, stuffs them in a program along with your actual product, and tells the computer everything is self-contained?
So you have all the shit you'd normally have in windows, but in one user-proof spot?

wow are you some sort of space engineer? that was quite a breakdown. I have never done sys admin type stuff. Is that what docker is for?

it isolates processes, the file system layering is just a gimmick. If anyone says lightweight VM you can safely regard them as retards

people love it because static linking is ez, dependency management is hard and disk is cheap (and they are right in some sense)

it has nothing that fatjars did not have like a decade ago. Honestly, if I ever see another java application packaged as a docker container process I will rm -rf the their whole repo

lole

i was being serious but whatever

Attached: 1548859875116.jpg (600x400, 79K)

>java application packaged as a docker container process I will rm -rf the their whole repo
why are you somean?

Because people refuse to update their applications to always use the most bleeding edge version of the library!

It lets you containerize shit so it just werks anywhere because the dependencies are already taken care of.

what are some examples of dependencies? I'm a raspberry pi man. I know a little bit. Shoot straight with me zoomer!

Attached: get_off_my_lawn.jpg (570x760, 57K)

not wanting to use the latest git-tip version of a library is understandable and sensible. unfortunately a lot of devs have the opposite problem, a distro will update some not-terribly-recent library for security issues, and it breaks all their code because they didn't write it well in the first place. (move fast and break things, bro!) And then they complain about how the distribution is causing them all sorts of problems by issuing security patches and can't they just freeze the library forever with one that works? You know, just sweep all this bothersome update-and-security crap under the rug, er, I mean, abstract it away, so that nobody has to worry about it?

Of course there are some devs who want bleeding-edge everything. These people really wish the whole world would run something rolling-release that updates at least as fast as Arch does, and get pissed off because lots of people think that's too much churn and annoyance and want to run their software on distros that aren't like that. These people like the idea of being able to bundle their half-broken beta version of everything with their app. Lets them brush off most of the bug reports they get with "run the latest version".

These impulses are behind both containerization and snaps/flatpaks/appimages.

Exactly why do you need a container for a fucking java app? All you needed to begin with was a JRE and your jar. There was even a way of packaging the JRE along with your jar.

Isn't this always online?
I installed a headless VM with Ubuntu and PiHole while I'm waiting to buy a Raspberry Pi
Before setting up Virtualbox I tried Docker and I didn't like it