C and C++ are bad and should be depreciated and replaced by some modern language

>C and C++ are bad and should be depreciated and replaced by some modern language
>Which modern language? Umm eehhh let me get back to you

Attached: 691408404-1024x1024.jpg (1024x756, 337K)

Other urls found in this thread:

harmful.cat-v.org/software/c /linus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They have some warts, but they are really not bad enough to replace them.

C is bad and should be deprecated. It is only used by legacy projects from the 80s. No new software project has been started this decade that uses C. They all use either C++ or something else.

If C# wasn't corrupted by M$ it would have happened already. We probably would even have an universal binary format

>Which modern language?
Rust, Go, or anything that's neither C nor pre-14 C++ or FP garbage. We can let the thread die now.

>Rust
>Go

Attached: d90.png (644x800, 15K)

this is the stupidest statement i've read in Jow Forums for months. literally.

>C good Jabascribt bad

Attached: npc meme.jpg (636x773, 32K)

>he has never worked on anything that matters
imagine being this guy

>No new software project has been started this decade that uses C
literally every real embedded application is written in C

git is 2005, why in C ?
harmful.cat-v.org/software/c /linus

avr-gcc
oh, it's you. amazed every day. what a life that must be.
thinks anything essential is not being written in java
1) git is a tiny ass program
2) 2005 is 15 years ago. there are literally people born after 2005 that have already given birth to new kids.

>avr-gcc
t. never had a programming job
not one single company uses avr-gcc
compilers like ghs are much more common since they are already certified

I'd say by Haskell but actually I don't want her to be defiled by filthy (P)OOP pajeets, I want her to stay pure.

Attached: haskell-chan.png (1000x1300, 786K)

Rust is capable of fulfilling the same tasks as C.
Go is not because of its broken FFI and mandatory GC.

>Rust is capable of fulfilling the same tasks as C.
not in its current state i dont think
are there any rust compiler that can cross compile for embedded ppc, avr, or arm? any that are certified for asil d or other relevant functional safety standards?
how does the binary size compare to its c equivalent?
the only realistic substitute for C in embedded is probably Ada

Nope. C is dangerous for embedded. Or you mean Misra C? And especially Ada is used alot.

misra c are only a collection of guidelines for developing safe(er) embedded software with c
same with the autosar c/c++ guidelines
where i work we generally try to follow misra 2012 but its bothersome so we add pragmas to suppress misra warnings during builds for software that dma and whenever modifying registers directly
c is only dangerous if you are retarded or lack the proper experience/exposure to it

You are correct. Rust is too young. But i think its the ONLY language that fixed alot of shit which you cannot get out of C anymore or C++ without breaking the whole language.

Rust is a language that has 40 years of knowledge and fixed core issues of other languages. And im glad.. without Garbage Collection.

Garbage Collection is like a band-aid solution. It doesn't solve the solution at its core. Every language that needs to use a GC = Bad and will only solve higher level language problems well.

Rust is the only REAL systems programming language that looks promising to follow up C and C++.

Its young.. but it WILL replace them. Because you cant fix a problem if its a core issue inside the language of C and C++ which u cant fix without rewriting the language.

Rust will soon be the KING of system programming languages.. but it will probably take another 10 years.

Cniles hiding behind Sepples' back, as always.

well, what are you writing
C's whole gimmick is that it's relatively low-level while smoothing over the various details of whatever architectures and being easy to write compared to various assembly languages.

if you don't need to care about fine-grained memory access and the lot, why are you doing this manually
pick a language that requires less effort so you can solve your actual problem and not spend time fixing stupid bugs

Replaced for what purpose? Embedded? fuck no keep using C and assembly, and make sure that people who work on it know what they are doing, shit has to be efficient. Large Scale Projects and frameworks? Probably things like C# or even(((Java))) because it's significantly easier to maintain if both architectures are assumed to be good. Like if you have a very large C project and a very large c# project, it's a lot cheaper, faster, and generally more effective to train new interns to properly integrate their features into forcefully higher level languages like C#, because it will have a slightly higher possibility of avoiding noobs writing code that looks like some eldritch abomination in order to move 2 values, but hey look it's theoretically in O(n).

Large scale projects benefit from readability and modularity, and things like OOP and built in dependency inversion are very useful tools to this end

>Rust is the only REAL systems programming language that looks promising to follow up C and C++.
Only to people that don't understand C OR C++.

Lisp, Forth or Ada

C++ should be replaced by lisp and C should be replaced by forth. Simple.

Wrong, they haven't been written in C for decades. C++ is the most common option. Forth was even relatively common back in the days where it WAS C that was the dominant choice.

I'm not familiar with Rust but I have been meaning to learn about it. I've been putting it off every since I learned Go and was sorely disappointed and just wished I was using C anytime I used it. What would you say are the advantages of Rust over C or C++? Do the advantages outweigh the cons of leaving all the existing work the C and C++ ecosystem offer? I'm just curious.

Attached: key_cleaner.jpg (720x960, 83K)

Just search for embedded software jobs and you'll see that the lot of them requires c/cples

People use something for thing != something is a bad choice for thing
And that's not even what he was asserting, he was merely asserting that something is not safe, which is pretty much orthogonal.

Rust does a good job replacing C, but it only compiles on x86 as far as I know. We need to get it ported to ARM and PPC for it to really take off.

He literally starts with saying nope to the fact that C is used in embedded. Then points out that it's supposedly dangerous for embedded applications as a reason

List of compatible platforms for Rust.

Attached: rust.png (815x3326, 458K)

>Rust
>Mozilla

Into the trash it goes

You're an idiot. Rust is great - you're only opposed to it because you've joined the Jow Forums crowd, not because of its technical capability. Shame on you.

>multinational large networks running transactions, authorizations, real time data processing isn't important goys
>my ARM based C program running an alarm clock is
How you know Jow Forums is fucking retarded and bluepilled. They think C should be used for everything when they can't even write software without memory leaks and buffer overflow attacks
We solved this issue 30 years ago and C code still arises bugs

this is literally the reason for Rust.

How about D? The Rust community is full of basedboys, SJW, and trannies.

Forced GC because the crap stdlib is broken if you turn it off. Also has a runtime unlike rust and c.

>C and C++

Attached: femiscript.jpg (400x400, 56K)

Every OOP fucking sucks

>ewww rust was touched by an sjw at some point
>ewwww gross! im not getting kooties
>you know user, one person doesn't make the entire-
>OMG R U A TRANNY SJW BUGMAN FUCK U
Jow Forums in a nutshell

>broken FFI
How is it broken?
>mandatory GC
debug.SetGCPercent(-1)

When there is a lack of any meaningful criticism or praise, all that follows is shitposting. What kind of responses did you expect to see?

>When there is _____, all that follows is shitposting.
You're on Jow Forums.

>"an SJW"
>"at some point"
>"one person"
Stop downplaying their involvement on this shit. Have you even been in the Rust community/forums/Github recently?

Kek I work at a large company on a state of the art OS that was architected in the last 4 years.

We use a lot of languages, but at its core we use C. Nothing beats it as far as speed

This. No matter how much you like writing Rust, to get real speed, you MUST drop down to C.
No exceptions.