/tpg/ ThinkPad General

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook)

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, quadcore; USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X330 - X230, 13.3" FHD IPS
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

Previous thread:

Attached: 1520683120582.jpg (906x1200, 205K)

lolis

Attached: 1539211645940.png (539x419, 184K)

illya

got a problem with lolis fagtron

of course not, amami is my waifu after all

Attached: 1522678757338.png (253x474, 142K)

Is the W520 the best in terms of price for hardware or can you find a desktop better for their price range?
I already own a W520, mainly use it with my monitor and have it closed. Considering selling it for a desktop if I can find something better

> Hands down.
I'm dead, that's it.

could probably grab an optiplex or something for $20-60
throw in a used gpu
yeah it's better for home use if you only use it at a desk or w/e.
benefits of a laptop are mainly size and space it doesn't take up with mobility, and some power consumption. if you don't move it around, use in bed, etc then get a desktop

Where to buy laptob screen in the US?

Attached: 15206299188914.png (963x720, 602K)

internet
laptopscreens has done a lot of people good

a general question - my t470 has around 30% wear on each battery, im slowly thinking about replacing them. The internal can be changed by lenovo for like 30 euros, but I'm not sure if I should get the extended external battery ? I kinda like the ultrabook feel with the std battery, but would it be a better idea to get the bigger one and always have a shti ton more of juice left ? wwyd ?

would you like or want more juice?
say you get like 6hrs now
you'd get like 10 with both batts being new. would you like or need more? (obviously not an accurate amount but you'd get the idea)

It's too much, I hope you didn't place a bid. Did you see the link?
Coreboot only if you need to dual boot wangblows, since libreboot is Gahnoo+Linux only.
Would mSATA be good on such a laptop?
You know user, theres a YT video where a pollack company removes the defective t6x gpu and re-solders a non defective one. Much skilled.
Get a slice battery

>laptopscreens
I heard they send you random compatible screen if you didn't specify anything

no, they don't list much besides if ips and res, touch or not, matte/glossy, pins, etc
just message them or w/e what screen it is or they have and they'll tell you what screens they have, and you can tell them to not send anything besides what you want. fast shipping too.
i knew they'd send an innolux for my carbon and it's been fine so far
much faster than waiting on aliexpress and most ebay sellers state they'll send a compatible screen if they listed model isn't available anyway

well kinda
but a quick google and you'll know what's normally supplied
or message them
so it's a yes but no

Does the brightness control work on your innolux?

works fine in windows with my x1c3

Innolux T450s compatible screens are $20 cheaper than auo so I'm also considering that.

Based he's back

Attached: 1548624460823805.jpg (1746x2328, 2.31M)

i'm not dissapointed with the colors or viewing angles, no flickering or other issues.

Attached: 1533307272620.gif (500x500, 1.25M)

When will p53 come out?

yeah exactly my thoughts
>Get a slice battery
you mean the 72whr one ? aka thicc

is there anyway to fix the edge of the lid from seperating on the X220? It's starting to happen on mine.

Get the thick one, its really worth it. Just dont discharge it to 1%, i.e; charge it between 25%-85% so the capacity stays good.

thanks, just found one for 60 euros

does somejuan want my p50 :^}

How's the x1 carbon 4th gen for 300$?

Carbons are solid machines although everything is soldered except ssd. So consider the processor and ram before you buy

I hear lenovo has bad batteries in general. Should I get two?

I hear Samsung has bad SSDs in general. Should I get two?
If its genuine you'll be ok with one.

Thinkpads don't really have the best battery life but there's nothing wrong with lenovo batteries

Are there any good resources for diagnosing/repairing a t430s?
I dropped mine on the floor and the connection to the battery indicator is definitely broken, I can make or break the connection by pressing on the top left of the keyboard section. The battery was already shit when I got it but now it only lasts a few minutes tops, and the operating system is behaving strangely.

Attached: 1547520772522.jpg (418x420, 24K)

I honestly don't like Thinkpads, especially new ones, Dell Latitude/Precision/XPS are infinitely more kino.

I already have a P20 thanks

Attached: huawei_p20-1024x768.jpg (1024x768, 71K)

Just ordered an x230 to replace my x220 after 4 years of use as my only computer. Tfw frugal

I could be that the cable attachment/ribbon loosened? Check everything, detach the palmrest+keyboard to have a look.

Just got an x230 to replace pos x250. Never upgrade!

Got an X1 Carbon

It's some good shit

My memepad only charges when it's off, otherwise I get continuous beeps and the message "connected, not charging". What do?

Attached: 1541748747257.png (378x370, 120K)

fpbp

tpbp

install gentoo

Is there anywhere to buy a T420 1600x900 screen WITH the needed cable?

I am thinking to get try UE4, but my x230 looks like it's going to melt if I open the editor. Any good suggestion? How's W540? Is it running hot when opening somewhat graphic intensive program?

i guess my x200 board isn't dead. and to think i was going to throw it away

Attached: IMG_1457.jpg (2268x3024, 248K)

Installing arch rn. Let's see how it goes.

My T430 has the hinges of the screen kind of loose. The screen doesn't stay in place as solid as I would like. When it's open, it moves like 1 cm back and forth if I push it.
Can this be fixed? I haven't opened it yet, but I just want to know I anyone has had this problem or know something about it.

My W540 had terrible thermals. When I looked into it, apparently it was a common issue. I had to use liquid metal to bring it to an acceptable level. So I can't recommend the W540.

Anyone know where I could find a precise CAD model of a T420? I want to try making some sort of dock and I'd prefer not to try and kludge the measurements with my shitty micrometer

Or like design drawings or something

Is the front lcd bezel of T450/T450s held by latches or adhesive?

I can't see any Youtube tutorial video of LCD replacement

I see. That's sucks. I'm looking for 15" with numpad because I use blender extensively and I rather not lug around my itx desktop when working away from home. I spot acer craptop with i5-8250u and mx150 for the same price ($500ish), but it's 14". Decision, decision.

Do you guys think X1 extreme is worth the price? I can't find another laptop that looks that good with the specs it has. Anything cheaper is automatically some gaymur bullshit, because muh discrete gpu = gaymen

>decide to ignore Jow Forums and buy a Thinkpad 25 back when they were available new
>it's great
Haha Jow Forums BTFO.

>buying overpriced last gen hardware
I like the concept of going back to the old keyboard and I hope they make more models like that but the T25 was overpriced for what it was. But if you are enjoying it that's cool I guess.

What it was was the last laptop ever made with a proper keyboard, the T420 is the last newest one before that. To me it was worth it. I won't have a shitty chiclet keyboard.

Anyone know why my 1080p screen I just installed for my t440p doesn't work with Intel HD 4600 drivers? It seems to turn the backlight off until I change the brightness, then the display becomes fucked up when I do. It works in safe mode not using the Intel drivers.

dunno
works on my machine

T430 track point feels weird on a fresh Ubuntu 18 bionic. Is there some configurations I could do on Ubuntu to fix it?

I have X230. What is the max I can upgrade the ram?

sir about two rams sir

I know that. But am I limited to a certain amount by the motherboard? I would like to upgrade bast 16 gigs, but some sources say that the motherboard limits you.

2x8gb sir
pls do the needful sir

Thank you sir
Will do sir

>search your cpu
>open the ark.intel link
>be given the answer immediately

Looking to buy Carbon X1, but every model I see is 8GB ram. Is there an easy way to expand the memory on my own?

nvm you're capped, forgot there are no 16 sticks of this RAM

16gb ddr3 sticks do exist sir

im not a fanboy of anything normally but theres something about thinkpads that.. god I just want to lick them they're so beautiful

well hell you're right,
>my RAM cost more than my thinkpad

I wouldn't recommend it, I've opened 9 of them so far and nearly all of them have some amount of tobacco ash and food waste inside of them, takes ages to clean them up properly when you first receive them

Wow, that's a nice batch. Where did you get it? How much did you pay? Which models did you get?

I didn't get them all at once, occasionally a few end up in charity shops or bulk sellers around here when companies sell them off and I'll buy them, fix them up and sell them on, turns an OK profit but its not amazing

>my RAM cost more than my thinkpad
>tfw buying 2x4gb DDR2 sticks
fucking $40 for each stick

memory is not expandable, what you get is what you're stuck with unless you replace entire motherboard

Not really, mem is soldered directly to the board IIRC, but 8gb is fine for most of what anyone would want to do on an X1

>DDR2
RIP. I see some a fair bit cheaper than that on newegg though

Actually while we're speaking of ram, how sensitive is it to humidity when its not being used? I ordered some new sticks of ram and they're currently lying on the floor of my unheated flat, I'm at my mum's house and will probably be stuck here until the weather improves

Anything to extend the life of my X61 Tablet a little bit, at least until i save enough shekels for the X1 Tablet 3rd gen + shipping and import fees.

my x1c3 was p good but it was only 4gb ram so that killed it for me. just don't be a pussy and get something like a precision that can be upgraded and still get decent battery life

just get the official dock
pretty sure it's latches but don't quote me, it's been a while since i've messed with one
dell precision, the thermals on my m4800 are fantastic

I have decided to buy myself a thinkpad
I am gonna work a lot home with it but also at school sometimes
(Location:Germany)
I want a 14" or 15.6" with an i5 and 4 gb ram which i can upgrade to 8 later on

Im gonna buy a used one on ebay bc i cant afford a new one rn
Which one would you suggest to buy?

budget?

considering the little information you've provided
>14"
t420, t430
>15.6"
t520, t530

Round about 150€ to 170€

Are Yoga Thinkpads good?

I have a T420 and while I'm happy with it's performance, shit weights a ton and battery lasts 2 hours top.

Should I just get a new battery? Could a new one hold up to 6h? Get a new model?

Are t420/x220 good for watching anime or nah?

Attached: pottis.gif (462x358, 77K)

if you dont mind the shitty screens yeah

A lenovo 9cell battery might, I have a 3rd party 9 cell and it lasts about 3 1/2hrs on linux, slightly longer on windows
Literally anything above a core 2 duo will run 1080p 10 bit just fine
The screens are somewhat crap though

yeah probably like a t530 or something, I wouldn't get the 20 series stuff. I'm even kinda weary of the 30 series stuff just because of how old it's getting but that's probably the best bang for your buck you're gonna get. Look into latitudes and elitebooks too though, if you can get a 4th gen version of one of those that'd be better.

at this point i'd go for minimum t440p quad core if you want performance or t440s if you want portability and battery life

This is what the display looks like when using the HD 4600 drivers.

Attached: IMG_20190131_174735.jpg (4032x3024, 926K)

>if you want
>a decent chink 9-cell can last like 6-7h ez, at least mine did
>if you want

>Are t420/x220 good for watching *
no, the screens are shit for watching anything

Noted, thanks.
Is eBay my best bet to get a new battery?

>mpv's system requirements
> A not too ancient Linux, Windows 7 or later, or OSX 10.8 or later.
> A somewhat capable CPU. Hardware decoding might help if the CPU is too slow to decode video in realtime, but must be explicitly enabled with the --hwdec option.
> A not too crappy GPU. mpv is not intended to be used with bad GPUs. There are many caveats with drivers or system compositors causing tearing, stutter, etc. On Windows, you might want to make sure the graphics drivers are current. In some cases, ancient fallback video output methods can help (such as --vo=xv on Linux), but this use is not recommended or supported.

>He fell for the CPU generations meme
Given that he's asking for reccs of laptops with a minimum of 4gbs of ram I doubt he's trying to do anything hard core, anything from the past 10 years would be fine, certainly the processors in the xx20 series would be absolutely fine

That's vague as fuck, and even mpv's devs don't recommend using hw accel, but I'm going to trust .