Glasses with Digital Zoom

Retard here. Can someone explain to me why we don't have glasses with digital zoom functions yet? Has nobody built a pair of glasses that are just two phone cameras mounted on lenses? People talk about bionic eyes but with smart glasses having existed for as long as they have, I don't understand why such little discussion seems to exist on having glasses for people with poor eyesight that have adjustable, digital zoom in the same way a camera does.

Attached: oled-data-glasses.jpg (450x252, 11K)

make your own then
fgt

We do. Military uses them.

Same reason they killed Google glass:
Products for perverts don't sell well enough.

You need fairly large optics to improve on human sight.
Phone cameras won't do.

They have these crazy devices called binoculars which use an optical zoom mechanism; optical zoom being superior as everyone knows.

>Retard here.

I can believe it.

I don't mean have it function as a camera, I mean that I see people take out their phones and zoom in on shit they cannot read, and I wonder why they haven't implemented that into glasses.
>You need fairly large optics to improve on human sight.
I mean, the way a phone camera zoom function works now seems like it'd be useful for people that use glasses regardless of it not being able to solve all of their vision problems.

Attached: mmmmm.gif (300x201, 832K)

Yeah, but most people don't carry around pairs of binoculars when they are trying to read text and having looked at the glasses that have built in optical zoom I cannot see people wearing them. I have seen people use their phone cameras to zoom in on shit they can't read so it raises the question of why, if phone cameras function as well as they do, they haven't implemented that into glasses when they are willing to make so many smart glasses.

It's called glasses with bifocals you fucking moron.

Attached: JohnyBoy.png (350x350, 145K)

>adjustable

no, you're right. you've got a million dollar idea there, champ.

buy some transparent screen from china and connect it to a camera and a battery

I have never seen someone use a phone because their eyesight wasn't good enough.
How would they even use the phone with eyes that bad?

People use their phone for everything because they are addicted to it, not because it gives them a better experience.

Did I upset you? I genuinely want to understand why a pair of glasses has not been made that can zoom in the same manner a phone camera does. I don't give a shit about building one, it just seems like a natural implement. Clearly it's not that simple.

Attached: 1482906190533.gif (169x271, 499K)

>How would they even use the phone with eyes that bad?
It's called being nearsighted. You can see close stuff but far away stuff is blurry.

Why would you need these? Just enhance.

Attached: 1501631622001.png (741x568, 29K)

>Small text
>pull out phone
>zoom in with camera
>text bigger
I imagine people that don't like having to constantly put on and take off glasses when they need to read something of a variable size would prefer having glasses that they could zoom to what ever closeness and return to normal without the hassle.

Then you should just use glasses.

Staring it a tiny phone screen all day long is what causes nearsightedness in the first place.
Go out more and it won't affect you.

>Then you should just use glasses.
Glasses suck
>Staring it a tiny phone screen all day long is what causes nearsightedness in the first place
Thanks, Dr. Optometrist, but you're wrong. All I use my phone for is sending an occasional text, and I was nearsighted long before I had a phone.
>Go out more and it won't affect you.
Outside's where it affects you the most; much more shit further away outside than inside.

Simply because every part of your idea is worse than existing glasses, besides added 'smart' functionality. They would be less durable, require charging, require about an 8k resolution considering the distance from your eyes and be far more expensive and wasteful to produce and purchase.

We do have some 'vision enhancement' digital technology, such as military equipment (NVGs, thermal) but that is only for very specific use cases

>Glasses suck
get contacts then
this thread is moronic beyond belief

Because some people only wear glasses to make out shit too small for them to see clearly. I imagine the argument is that adjustable zoom would mean they wouldn't need to take it on and off because they could just return the sight to normal otherwise.

>do this shitty thing
>oh you don't want to? Try this even shittier option

>much more shit further away outside than inside.

Which is why your eyes get properly adjusted by going outside.
More than 50% of kids are nearsighted now, used to be just a few %.

Thank you [spoiler]I've never worn glasses before but this idea came up and I was curious as to what obstacles would be in the way of implementing what already exists in phones[/spoiler]

I've always wondered, if you can fuck your eyes by wearing someone else's prescription then why isn't there a prescription you can wear to unfuck them?

Some things I can think of. It'll be expensive no matter what. If you go for a mechanical optics solution, too bulky, and expensive. If you go for a digital screen with digital zoom, still tons of problems. Cost again, obviously. Also need for intense stabilization, since wearing the glasses at any significant zoom would result in a shaky as hell image.

Power. Think how often you'd have to charge the fucking things. There's only so much capacity you can pack in a pair of glasses.

Finally, if you do use a digital solution with a display of some sort (the most feasible option), the default view will be looking through a display, and not at the actual world. Would you want to walk around looking at the world through a camera?

Latency would be a big issue too. The image in the display must not be delayed too much from the outside world. Considering how much of a challenge this is in VR, and just how low the latency has to be, this is probably a difficult problem.

tl;dr too expensive, too impractical

That should be possible too.
You have to be fairly young though, once your eyes are fully grown they will stay fucked.

>digital zoom

You do realize that's just interpolation right?
It makes the image bigger but doesn't add any detail.

There are smoothing techniques. Obviously it's impractical, but it's more practical than the other alternative, a purely mechanical solution.

That's fair. I was thinking about it primarily in the context of someone standing still or sitting down. I figured it would have some sort of option to not be 'active' unless you wanted it to be.

Contacts are great though. I just leave mine in all the time since they're silicone hydrogel. 99.995% of the time I don't realize I'm wearing them, and no that's not hyperbole. I spend roughly five seconds per day putting a drop in when I wake up.

Bonuses:
Perfect vision
No lag
No battery
I don't look retarded

isnt there a risk for permanent eye damage by leaving them in overnight?

>There are smoothing techniques.
You mean blurring

You just want to record chicks in HD without them knowing.

just use normal glasses it's the same.

Actually after slamming anons idea i just realised there are those new screens now that are seethrough when they arent on, maybe you could make a lens out of one of those then have some digi zoom/smart functionality

Only if you're really stupid, I once left one in for a week (accidently) and all it meant was i had a sore eye, all it's gonna do is give you an eye infection, which could harm your vision but only if you dont go to a doctor or try and take it out.

Nobody even mentioned the ability to record anything until you came along

Not with modern silicone hydrogels. The danger was your eye was starved for oxygen when wearing old contacts, and doing that continuously would eventually lead to damage. My lenses are FDA rated for continuous wear.

It's not. Over the ear headphones suck with glasses, you get glare even with the stupid expensive coatings, they get broken, they get foggy, they get dirty and scratched, your peripheral vision is worse than with contacts, the angle of your eye against the lense matters with glasses but with contacts you get the same quality independent of angle, and so much more. Glasses flat out fucking blow. I did that meme for four years before discovering how superior contacts are.

I wear mine continuously for about two to four weeks, then replace them when the edge of the lense starts to lose adhesion. Acuvue Oasys are great.
I've been doing this for six years now and have never gotten an infection or anything like that. I know not everyone can do this, but I'm happy.

based quints

>69610968
>>phone cameras mounted on lenses
head mounted displays suck. They are big, cumbersome, have low resolutions, and limited fields of view. Not to mention, getting a decent framerate would be fucking impossible. Cameras don't have good framerates. So in short, an absolutely retarded idea. Now then, what would be less retarded would be to do it entirely optically. There are glasses which can have adjustable focus using fluid filled lenses, pic related. They look sort of goofy though, the lenses have to be round. Making it focus adjustment automatic is certainly possible, but the big issue are power and making small ass actuators. You wouldn't get much distance zoom though, doing that would require some insane optics, and I doubt that will be very compact. In principle, you can get variable zoom as good as a pair of binoculars using something about as thick as a regular lens, but the tech to do is so exotic it might as well be magic. Look at Lockheed martin's SPIDER telescope, which use photonic integrated circuits and computers to process light rather than lenses for an example of this.

forgot pic

Attached: 20120609_stp503.jpg (595x335, 20K)

checked

Attached: nice.jpg (750x677, 104K)

This.
Not just zoom, IR heat vision and night vision too and even a wider field of view. They cost buttloads, I was lucky to be able to test them out turning mandatory service.

>Digital zoom
Big yikes

Attached: zoom glasses.png (1142x673, 813K)

Holy fuck the 80s would have loved this