I'm looking for a laptop that I can use for taking to client meetings. Although I don't care about playing games...

I'm looking for a laptop that I can use for taking to client meetings. Although I don't care about playing games, having a decent graphics card will definitely come in handy if I need to demo an ML model (Inference only).

The base model of the Razer blade supports a SATA III SSD as well as an NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD. I don't know too much about hardware but can this PCI-e slot be used for something else other than an SSD, like say a WWAN card (assuming there isn't a whitelist in the BIOS/UEFI)?

Attached: 09-razer-blade-2018.jpg (3000x1687, 600K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/PCI-Card-NGFF-PCIe-Adapter/dp/B073DYQRZ1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thinkpad with anime stickers is your choice.

>I don't know too much about hardware but can this PCI-e slot be used for something else other than an SSD, like say a WWAN card (assuming there isn't a whitelist in the BIOS/UEFI)?
Yes, you can do this (leaving aside the possible whitelist).

I see a lot of people using Razer laptops for this kind of scenario now. They would have been Mac users, but the lower quality of modern Apple products + need for a stronger GPU leads them to Razer. Often they try to cover up the Razer logo on the back with black electrical or gaffer's tape, which looks uglier than if they'd just left it.

>Yes, you can do this (leaving aside the possible whitelist).
Oh, great. I was thinking about getting around the whitelist by changing the vendor and device id of the WWAN LTE card. I found that these numbers are stored on the SPI Flash chip on it that I can dump, modify and reflash. Then all I need to do is modify the driver to look for the new vendor/device id. That way I don't have to risk bricking the motherboard by flashing a possibly corrupt UEFI firmware.

>I see a lot of people using Razer laptops for this kind of scenario now. They would have been Mac users, but the lower quality of modern Apple products + need for a stronger GPU leads them to Razer. Often they try to cover up the Razer logo on the back with black electrical or gaffer's tape, which looks uglier than if they'd just left it.

Personally I don't care about the price of the laptop as long it's thin and sleek. I would've bought a Mac so I can triple-boot but the lack of a spare mini PCI-e slot is a dealbreaker.

>client meetings
>client
>client
>client

You have a job?

Attached: index.jpg (231x218, 9K)

The aluminum chassis on the Razer might block the signal to your wwan card since it doesn't have a dedicated antenna running through it. Maybe better to use a laptop with a plastic shell?

Yes, good point. The WWAN card has U.FL port for the RX and TX antennas. The metallic enclosure will definitely attenuate the signals.

I could possibly hide a flexible antenna somewhere near the display but I'm not sure if the bezel is aluminum as well.

NVMe slots are for NVM and M.2 SSDs, not for general PCI-e because it doesn't have access to the PCI-e bus.

It literally says PCIe 3.0

You do know that you can set up a hotspot on your phone, right?

the m.2 slot uses 4 PCIE lanes, it doesn't have a physical pcie x4 slots like a desktop mobo

Why wouldn't you want an m2 SSD OP? You know it's much faster right? m2 drives aren't even that expensive now.

m2 PCIe is exactly the same as PCIe on a desktop motherboard, just a different connector. You can attach any desktop PCIe card to an m2 PCIe slot with an adapter if you really want to.

>ITT People who don't understand PCI-e

dell xps, everything else will make you look like a sperg

Why do you feel obligated to be retarded? No one was asking you to. It would have been ok for you not to post.

Attached: 01wvv4c[1].jpg (3200x2368, 1.87M)

Why not the Huawei Matebook X Pro?
It's similary priced and speced but is better made and is completely degaymurized.
We're getting these for the company in 2 weeks time to replace 4yo latitudes.

Attached: jbareham_180524_2590_0079_sq.jpg (1127x1127, 1.19M)

those won't work as well (or at all) for machine learning that needs a strong GPU.

lol piece of junk

Have fun putting paper inside the computer to stop the trackpad having play in it

It looks good but doesn't have an NVIDIA GPU, so it doesn't meet my needs.

>He thinks that's an M.2 slot.

>Optimus

Attached: t.png (639x349, 158K)

amazon.com/PCI-Card-NGFF-PCIe-Adapter/dp/B073DYQRZ1

Attached: CjcQBE6[1].jpg (362x346, 38K)

>Reviews filled with people frying their gpus
y i k e s

It has mx150

A mobile workstation would probably suit you. The graphics card would be more suited to ML models. Something like an HP Zbook 15, Lenovo P52, etc.

>Wrong installation way

Oh China

p52 is overkill, p50 or p51 will do fine and be slightly cheaper.