/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, quadcore; USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: boomer_thinkpad.jpg (4160x3120, 3.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=i7 7700HQ thinkpad&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc
habr.com/en/post/437912/
livecdlist.com/purpose/diagnostics/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for x230

Anyone here done the t430 classic keyboard swap? Was it worth it?

I bought a t450s FHD 256gb SSD 8gb RAM for $200 but the seller forgot to mention dead pixels and keyboard impression on screen. I'd rather do partial refund and replace the screen myself. How much should I ask for the refund?

>boomer_thinkpad.jpg
>razer mouse and mousepad
cursed image, kys OP

Been using an X220t for a short while now, I'm glad the digitizer/stylus just werks with my galaxy notes too

The cost of a new screen. He certainly left it out on purpose hoping you'd cuck out.

Good choice

I did it for my X230 and I'd say it was worth it.
Depends if you like the new layout or not I guess, that was the main reason for me to do the swap.

Attached: IMG_20190201_184943.jpg (3968x2976, 1.78M)

For how much i7 7700HQ M.2 x4 Thinkpads go? Is RAM soldered or not. Looking for a future e-gpu setup when my RX 580 will start showing its age.

Hi guys. Want to get an X1 Carbon but slightly turned off by reports of potential instability and power management on Linux. I plan on throwing Manjaro on there. I checked the Arch wiki for some fixes but I'm still skeptical.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Rate my setup

Attached: 20190130_200915.jpg (2309x1833, 1.84M)

Can always tick the "Sold Items" box on ebay like so:
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=i7 7700HQ thinkpad&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

How easy is this to fix?

It's a t470 btw

Attached: t470.png (640x640, 699K)

there's like 7 different carbons not counting convertables, etc
so you'd need to be more specific.

2/10 use black vinyl or just unplug the webcam

easy
just buy the parts

im afraid its shit power management for linux

or you can go the win route

>tablet
based
>x201
super based
>taping off webcam
redpilled
>posting this in the dead thread first
cringe and bluepilled

>Depends if you like the new layout or not I guess
Yeah, I like the older layout that's closer to a desktop replacement.

I'm asking because the only old T series for sale in my region is a cheap T430 (that luckily seems to be in good shape) and all the T420 I've seen are in the capital, and spending $20 to travel to check something I may or may not buy isn't ideal.

Apologies. I'm not sure which model but it's the 16gb of RAM, 2.49lb, 2k WQHD, Intel version. Does that help or should I provide an actual model number?

so 4th gen or newer (16gb is rare on a 3rd gen but still possible)
so not really
just google the modle year carbon or wheat gen.
i have a 3rd gen, hasn't had any of those issues in linux or windows. 4th gen seemed ok for linux use too. not sure about anything newer

>just buy the parts
Are all models the same? Can i just buy a new bottom and top from aliexpress?

*all t470 models

idk so much about the t470 or that gen of thinkpads in general but from the pic it looks like the things that need replacing are the lid and the palm rest, so start your search there for model compatibility

no
you have a t470 so get the parts for that. lookup fru's the s and normal can share parts sometimes like screen lids or bezels. make sure it is for your model. sometimes 5** and 4** share bits too

Then I'd say it's worth it. Doesn't take too long to do the swap and for me it cost about 15€ so pretty cheap.
Just be sure to put the tape on the correct cable of the internal connector. I was a retard and put it between the two internal cables first but luckily I didn't fry the keyboard.

uwu, snap on the mousemat op, also dont get ultra itll give you diabetes sweeteners are worse than sugar. Get the pink monster punch

Attached: 1549042259434159.jpg (2328x1746, 3.31M)

>drinking "energy drinks" at all
>not exclusively drinking coffee/tea, water, and juice
don't you want to be healthy and grow old with your waifu?

Why would he when his picture indicates that he's mentally ill?

It should be fine monster is the only sugary thing I consume other than fruit desu, but hai i mostly drink water, tea and coffee

Attached: DrOVcPtV4AAL8aV.jpg (811x1200, 143K)

so are you or you wouldn't be posting here

Attached: 1521025849480.png (300x300, 106K)

>still believes Jow Forums is a secret underground place for ~deranged~ people

Attached: leto.jpg (800x560, 101K)

Magnetic lid sensor on my X220 is acting gay, it puts the computer to sleep then instantly wakes it up every 10 seconds. So this means I need to replace the whole thing right? Clearly a hardware issue everythings fine on the software part.

Ah shit, I'm late. Damn.

...lolis

based

I'll be honest I don't recognize any of the anime dolls and stuffed animals that people post next to their thinkpads so I'll take your word for it that that one is related to more damning content than others.

It should be obvious that sugar is not the only problem with those things, despite being a massive one.
>2 servings per can
>40-50g sugar per can
picture eating it with a spoon:
>45g sugar is 3.6 tablespoons of sugar
but look at all those B vitamins X-DDDD
>For instance, one can of Red Bull® contains 1000 mg of taurine. A German double-blind study compared a taurine and caffeine drink, a caffeine-only drink, and a placebo drink. Stroke volume—the volume of blood ejected with each beat of the heart—was increased only in the group taking the taurine-and-caffeine drink. Taurine appears to play an important role in muscle contraction (especially in the heart) and the nervous system.
You know why people on juice die early? They overwork their heart. RIP Zyzz, RIP Rich, and RIP user.

Take a magnet and put it where the lid sensor is, see if it goes to sleep.

Does the T60/R61 port replicator work on laptop battery power without being plugged in?

Zyzz took steroids and died in a fucking sauna from the roids

>You know why people on juice die early?

Attached: read nigga read.png (480x360, 164K)

my 1440x900 panel wouldn't work on my x200 but did work on my x201. so i swapped it and now my x201 is not powering now. no indicator lights on 1440x900 panel come on when it's plugged on x201 but they do come on when its on the x200. any ideas?

Attached: IMG_1470.jpg (3024x4032, 1.46M)

>just replaced the thermal paste in my T420
>One tiny screw left after I'm done
>Can't find the screw for the bezel hole under the battery

Fuck my life

nigga it was sharky tim who killed zyzz

did you install coreboot with a neutered intel_me? if you have you noticed any issues with shutdown/reboot where it just hangs after a while? or has that been fixed

on my x201 which is what i posted in that pic it's not possible to remove me since the meltdown patch, i did try minimizing it but on some boot it hangs on boots and prints loads of errors about me

And now my computer is randomly shutting itself down, the fan is spinning and temps are lower than they were before i completed the replacement, what the fuck did I do?

I have 2 really nice thinkpads that get stuck on a black screen with a flashing _ in the top left. How do i fix this?
>L520
>some other thinkpad
The other one also has a problem where it wont register keypresses during boot so I cant enter BIOS. How fucked am I?

so you're still on stockbios then? yeah neutralizing intel_me on x201 caues issues like you say. i guess coreboot+ neutralized intel_me x201 is wonky at best, the fans don't really work and you have use something like tpfancontrol to get them working and shutdowns/reboots take a while.

Ok I think it might be the new Ram I installed seeing as it just shut itself down in memtest

Is this the ultimate admin laptop?

A small notebook for a system administrator: habr.com/en/post/437912/

Attached: mrm6d3szvghhpghfchsl_-lzgb4[1].jpg (1920x1031, 1.22M)

Where is the best place to buy parts for newer machines. I just bought a p50 and a t470s that need more parts replaced then they don’t.

I've recently purchased a refurbished T420 from Arrow-Direct through Newegg for ~$160 US (including tax and shipping):
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Installed Memory 8192mb DDR3 | Max Memory 8192MB DDR3
160Gig Serial ATA
Condition - Grade A

I immediately replaced Windows 10 with OpenBSD. Within an hour the screen failed (see pic). After this I started running diagnostics on the thing and found it to be somewhat unstable - it would occasionally fail memory tests, it would sometimes lockup during tests, it would sometimes fail to boot, etc.

Needless to say, I returned it. A replacement hasn't arrived yet.

Attached: T420-Arrow_Direct.jpg (1200x958, 380K)

no one cares about your gay render stop posting it

>210x148mm
Sounds good... if you've got baby hands.

Attached: Friendly Heavy Disgust.gif (465x271, 958K)

this
When I was in HS I was given a laptop because sperg and I physically couldn't use it because the keyboard was too small. Even thinkpad keyboards are a little too small.

Well designed and thought out to be sure
>the size of A5 paper
fuck no that thing would suck to work on. I'm no admin though, and I'm also spoiled by the old thinkpad keyboards at this point. I feel like something this small would be cheaper to build as a hub of sorts with a keyboard on top that you plugged a phone/tablet into, like a box that you lifted/hinged the top off of to reveal the meaty half of a normal laptop. Then you wouldn't be sourcing 9.5" FHD screens that probably only chinks make. I'd give one of these a test drive but I doubt I'd ever buy it. Kinda crazy this guy has an x200 and wants something that's half its size and weight; just get a fuckin tablet.

Too small to type. UMPCs are gay, they died for a reason.

based 3:4 screen and prev/next/enter/esc buttons on the bezel

Attached: d.jpg (1050x1400, 1.14M)

My trusty x220 that I've had as my daily driver since 2015. Have an x230 coming in the mail as a replacement soon.

Attached: IMG-0502.jpg (4032x3024, 1.98M)

wow the image posted sideways even though it was oriented correctly in my filesystem

can i habe the x220 desu
>posting on a T43

Jow Forums removes exif data and that can contain any rotation info

That sucks user.

You gonna cannibalize the 220 for keyboard swap?

My T60 screen is giving me eye cancer. Is there some sort of upgrade that I can do? I have the 14.1 SXGA+

the IPS t60 screen? I use one for my T43 and it works well

sucks bro. In all honesty the best experience I've had buying thinkpads was from r/thinkpadsforsale. Probably won't get the best prices but those guys really care about their thinkpads and take good care of them. The x220 I purchased looked brand new with no scratches or blemishes.

I'm not sure but I don't think there are T60 14.1 ips screens

is it worth doing the keyboard swap? I'm gonna miss the x220 but the extra power will be nice for emulation and stuff.

Are any 4:3 Thinkpads actually usable today for web browsing and light office work or do you have to spend an assload to get a custom made model with a modern CPU?

kind of disappointed that you didn't ask how I fit a screen bigger than a T43 into a T43

>light office work
>modern CPU
just use a T60 or T43 with mint

O fug didn't think of that. How?

I do more web browsing than I do office work and I've read on here that the 4:3 Thinkpads shit the bed on modern web pages with how bloated they are.

Mine werks great on w10 ltsc

not the guy but which model is that

Adding a nice x250 with 16gb of RAM and a 256gb SSD to my collection for only $187. From a very good seller as well.

Was kicking the tires on a newer x-series ThinkPad, but didn't expect to find a deal like this. Kinda just jumped on it.

Attached: s-l1600[1].jpg (1168x657, 131K)

did you see a thread titled "would you buy this Jow Forums" where the guy posted a thinkpad with no hinges and a cardboard lid? that was me.

If you don't mind Fn+F3 and Fn+F12 doing nothing and losing the caps light, yeah, it's worth it.

X61 Tablet

post pic plzz

that sounds like utter shit / cool

ok give me a few minutes

and thats only if you reflash the EC, otherwise you get a functioning caps lock LED and all Fx keys not doing what the icon says

Attached: IMG_20190127_142308~2.jpg (3773x2506, 1.69M)

Does anyone else itt get really turned on when dropping a massive log? I love the feeling of my anus getting stretched to oblivion by the width of my stool. I purposely eat lots and lots of fiber so I can get the most out my shits as possible.

2/2

Attached: IMG_20190127_143227~2.jpg (4090x2908, 1.93M)

user you're gay
kill yourself asap

lmao good shit user

I saw that shit the other day and my only thought was "doesn't this fucker own a circular saw?" You could make something pretty solid with just a 2x4 and thin sheet of plywood, 2 or 3 ply, probably maple. I'm surprised that thing can hold itself up, unless that lean on the recliner is doing all the work there.

Not turned on but my powerlifting diet is such that I eat so much rice I haven't spent more than 10 seconds per dump in like 3 years. It's not sexual but I like the efficiency. BTW your shitpost is off-kilter, if you wanted "to get the most out of it" you'd be eating nothing but cheese, not fiber, because that would actually prolong the experience.
Now kys.

scotch tape between middle of screen and arrow keys keep it up. It's pretty comfy but I'm gonna modify it to make it a little more bearable. The laptop isn't even a shitpost originally, my actual laptop broke and I was fired from my job so I'm actually using it (posting on it right now) because i have absolutely no money for an actual laptop. it's running linux mint 32 bit and it's really comfy.

I'm currently living in a shit mold infested apartment and don't really want to keep muh rig here, I'm considering taking it back to my parents place and just using my monitor and thinkpad with a dock instead

Can a T420 comfortably push 1440p all the time or is it too stressful for it?

cutest thinkpad :3

Attached: 1548049692748.png (600x800, 322K)

thx desu :3

whats the point of high resolutions on tiny ass screens

Attached: coffeepanties.jpg (626x640, 144K)

OP of the cardboardpad, I gotta go. I'll post a throwaway email if anyone has any more questions. instlgnt00@gmail

How do you test your hardware for reliable functionality?

Much software expects and requires reliable hardware. How do you verify your hardware isn't silently introducing faults into your system and corrupting its functioning?

Maybe the header of this thread could have a best/worst vendor list.

X60 with core 2
X61
Both are 64 bit and run the latest shit just fine

pixel density you dumb animeposter

X60 and X61 can manage basic productivity like writing word documents and will stream/play 1080p video just fine, anything more involved is a bit of a pain in the ass

My T410s and X220, love these things. The X220 sees daily use lately, it's the one I take to class, and to my parents' house if I visit them. The T410s is used primarily for watching anime.

>$160 for a T420 with a RAM upgrade and a smallish hard drive
what a scam. $160 is still pricey, even if the thing worked.

It's intel IGP, or a shitty GPU that might as well be a desktop IGP. It'll do any resolution you want, just don't expect to be gaming on it.

Attached: 0109192305a-scaled.jpg (2794x1572, 2.15M)

> home/end buttons next to the arrow keys
> squished keys
> all the other BS keyboard decisions
This thing is just too small to type on normally. Either own it and go smaller for thumb typing, or make it a bit bigger, perhaps with a 3:2 screen size and - due to the change in proportions this brings - a 7-row keyboard.

Maybe one of these?
livecdlist.com/purpose/diagnostics/

Does anyone know of anything better?

Attached: ubcd.png (700x77, 76K)

Wouldn't that monitor in the back be better for watching anime than the thinkpad screens?