What does Jow Forums think of Ruby?

Is it modern Smalltalk-like meta-capable programming language, or 2005-hyped fuckfag shit used to build e-commerce webdev apps?

Attached: kisscc0-ruby-on-rails-the-ruby-programming-language-comput-ruby-stone-gem-5b4eb8d2b78113.59283485153 (3454x3000, 221K)

Both, less, and more.
I mostly like it for scripting purposes desu, everything else has a better language

i use it instead of perl rather than going to perl6 or python

It's a dead meme that only got known because of Rails.

Ruby 3 shows some promise if it includes type enforcement

Otherwise use something else

Anyone who knows anything about writing compilers will throw CPython and Ruby into trash.
Python's startup time in particular is about the time that would required to compile that code into well performing bytecode. Not enough experience with Ruby to say if this applies as well. There is no reason for serious interpreted language to not be compiled and JIT optimized on load, slowness is not a limitation of neither interpreted nor dynamically typed language.

don't need no fuckeen jit for my glorified shell scripts

>running web server on glorified JIT scripts

If you are making web apps use nodejs if you are a "muh libraries" kinda guy, or elixir if you want the best performance from a rails-like environment.
If you are writing small scripts then use Go, way faster and can run anywhere, no need to install a bunch of shit to get going.

But hey, if you really just like the way ruby works then go for it, I guess. At the end of the day your personal preferences and enjoyment will outweigh the program running faster.

not everyone uses python and ruby for web server shit. a simple interpreter is fine for those cases. jits are needed for long running processes which is not how many people use it

dead language for trannies

It did some cool unique things but the OOP portion is ass and everything that it can do Python basically does better

It's basically just hipster Python with less support. But personally, I like it better, the syntax is pleasing to me.

I've been using crystal and its real nice. its a good alternative to Go.

use elixir or crystal instead
let it die

It's a great language, not a fan of Rails though.

Endorsed by feminists and trannies.
Into the trash it goes.

Attached: lel.png (372x351, 117K)

can't wait for them to endorse anime so you kys

gl with meta programming in Python

t.codeAcademy newfag

>ruby
>rails
>python
>django
Thanks, but no thanks
PHP is the industry standard
I don't need bloat
Professionals use Laravel

Attached: laravel_loadsys.png (330x200, 12K)

professionals? you mean freelancers?
I've worked at 3 multi-billion dollar tech companies (and interviewed at several other where we talk about tech stack) and 1 startup and any PHP is just old legacy stuff that they are trying to get rid of.

Anytime i see php being used its by independent freelancers.

>modern Smalltalk-like meta-capable programming language
Ruby
>2005-hyped fuckfag shit used to build e-commerce webdev apps
Ruby on Rails

Any time I see PHP being used it's for fucking wordpress, or by someone who mainly does wordpress stuff.
Also, 90% of retarded programmers I've seen use PHP, PHP is the only language where you find the true "okay what the actual fuck is this guy even doing?" kind of programmers.

>There is no reason for serious interpreted language to not be compiled and JIT optimized on load
Admittedly, there would be little benefit. Consider a simple expression: c = a + b. Even if you know that a and b are both integers (in fact, even if a and b are actually integer literals), and you've called the function using this expression a million times, there can be no guarantee that the user has not changed the definition of + for integers right before calling the function for the million and first time.

Everything in Ruby is a virtual method call, even adding integers. That's part of the language. There are no primitive values, and there are no primitive operations. To add 1 and 2, you send the message :+ to the number 1.

Obviously this should never be used for anything that needs performance, but not everything needs performance.

Who the fuck said anything about web servers? He said he used it as glorified shell scripts. That means basic system administration, not fucking serving HTTP requests.

A lot of tasks are simple stupid I/O bound crap that can be handled in literally any language, and Ruby makes any task that involves basic string and list processing trivial.

Based language for real programmers.

Attached: 1538972060020.png (4359x3000, 2.05M)