LIBREM 5 HARDWARE UPDATE

>Development is still ongoing, so most of the specs are not finalized yet. What is certain at this moment is:

>CPU: NXP® i.MX 8M Quad or NXP® i.MX 8M Quad Mini
>GPU: Vivante GC7000Lite
>RAM: 3 GB minimum (subject to change)
>Screen: 720×1440 high-DPI 5.7 (glossy)
>WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
>Bluetooth: Yes
>GPS: Yes
>NFC: No (subject to change)
>FM Radio: No
>Card slot: microSD
>Loudspeaker: Yes
>3.5mm jack: Yes
>SIM cards: One
>Camera: Front and back
>Replaceable Battery: Yes (with tools)
>Smart Card Reader: Yes (OpenPGP-compatible)

>Everything else is To Be Determined. This applies to: dimensions, weight, supported modem frequencies, internal storage capacity, maximum SD card capacity, camera specs, other screen specs, battery life, SAR values, etc.

Source: puri.sm/faq/what-are-the-phone-specs/

Attached: IMG_1301.png (261x460, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

necunos.com/shop/#!/Necunos-NC_1/p/127507133/category=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck this thing. Buy the pinephone.

>they don't even know the specs yet
Jesus fucking Christ
Just build the damn thing
Chinks can shit out a new phone practically every day but GNU autists can't engineer a single phone in 2 years

This. Purism is cancer.

>binary blobs necessary to run graphics on pinephone
Pinephone is not in the same category as Librem 5, why even mention it?

lol eat my own poop

Attached: image.jpg (240x221, 42K)

I am pretty excited about the pinetab

Can't wait to have an actual phone running i3wm and st!

Librem 5 isn't even in the same category as librem 5.
Purism is a fucking scam company that practices bait and switching.
>lul we said specs would change
>lul turns out it's impossible to make what we told you was possible

>5.7"

Attached: 1512569072033.jpg (782x578, 128K)

user there are binary blobs for the baseband.
Dont act all high and mighty, it is a phone, not private by default.

Can an user price this build out?
Per 1000.

>5.7"
oh boy
alnost 4 years and still no upgrade from my z5 compact

There's a killswitch for the baseband on the Librem 5. There's no killswitch for the Mali graphics on the Pinephone so it matters a lot more that we can't see the code it's running apart from a binary blob.

where is the iTunes app?

>Librem 5 not on the shelves
>Pine phone not on the shelves
You don't know.

This
I have long fingers but I hate this fucking giant slab phones

These*

Attached: feels bad.png (422x411, 110K)

Fair enough. My comments are based on what the phone developers are claiming about their respective devices. In either case, the Pinephone cannot be considered a reasonable alternative to the Librem 5, at least until both devices are released and it turns out both devices deviate from what was claimed about them before release.

>a/b/g/n

Attached: 1529209696529.jpg (1137x640, 77K)

>My comments are based on what the phone developers are claiming about their respective devices
My point us that purism is cancer, and they practice bait, and switch on a regular.
This phone won't be an exception.

Great. But Pinephone out of the gate is claiming to need binary blobs in the kernel for its graphics chip, meaning it's an utterly pointless device competing in a very crowded market. Purism 5 has made certain claims about their unreleased phone, including the fact that binary blobs will not be needed to run on the CPU and if binary blobs are needed on the baseband then these will not be running on the CPU and moreover can be disabled at any time via a hardware killswitch. Purism has also already released a devkit for the Librem 5 which lives up to what is promised about the Librem 5 with respect to the need for binary blobs. Now if when the phone is released it does not live up to the promise, then I will denounce this phone, but until that happens, the point stands that Pinephone is not a comparable or preferable device.

>Made claims
They made similar claims with their laptops, and last I checked those need binary blobs to function, so to me the librem 5 isn't really worth talking about until after they are on the shelves.

Jesus... At least that display should be a subject to change. And that 32bit quad core SoC belongs in the past as well.

>literal who SoC
>720p screen
>$599
into the trash it goes.

I think the phone is dumb, but what's wrong with purism?

>And that 32bit quad core SoC belongs in the past as well.
What are you smoking?

Attached: arm.png (681x753, 127K)

I remember, over a year ago I sent them an email asking for hardware and software progress updates and a couple days later they posted their first one, and have been posting since. You're welcome anons, although I'm fairly disinterested in the phone now; they're taking too much time and are way behind the competition now.

>I think the phone is dumb, but what's wrong with purism?
They kind of abuse crowd sourcing, practice bait, and switch tactics, and they embrace charging a nominal Open Source tax on low end hardware, but they're okay if you like that sort of thing.
It's better to wait until they release the product to decide if you want it, or not, because you might end up paying for something that you didn't want.

>>Screen: 720×1440 high-DPI 5.7
$
I just want a phone that's fully libre and with decent specs, why are they doing this to us

Attached: angrywojack.jpg (633x758, 62K)

No keyboard=nobody cares. Got a removable battery? Micro SD card support? Maybe a slide out gamepad like the one old Sony gaming phone?
You may be confused as to why I want these things but you miss the point if so. And what's the point you ask? Its Simple, nameless fuckbag on the internet! WHAT MAKES THIS STAND OUT?
Aside from FOSS bullshit what makes this slab of phone any different from the dozens of other nearly identical slabs already available? They're all the same to the user...does this have a feature to make it stand out?

Looks like the same identical slab to me buddy. Prove me wrong.

>FOSS
This is the whole point of this phone. If that's not important to you, then you are not in the target audience for this phone.

how are purism's laptops?

They use Incel processors so it has the NSA backdoor but supposedly Purism provides a way to disable most of the functionality of the NSA backdoor except for the part necessary to start the processor.

>Foss is the whole point
>Binary blobs
I guess they kind of fucked up.

>720×1440
Welcome back to 2012

Just like your favorite iphone, goy!

Attached: 1530770131775.jpg (800x800, 53K)

>WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
>Everything else is To Be Determined. This applies to: dimensions
Fucking niggers.

What binary blobs? There are no binary blobs loaded into the kernel.

Who else actually backed or preordered the phone?

How does it connect to networks, and how the fuck do you know what the end product will have?

Is this thing still a thing?
Hahaha fucking reddit retards, I thought this thing was supposed to be out by now
You got scammed boy lmao
>>>phoronix

>How does it connect to networks
It connects using a modem chip. The modem chip is a black box but it can be physically disabled using a hardware killswitch which is more than can be said about any other phone. Moreover, since the modem connects to cell phone towers you can't expect privacy/anonymity when it's enabled on any phone in principle. However, with the Librem 5 you are assured that this modem chip cannot execute arbitrary code on your CPU or have arbitrary access to any other part of your phone.

>and how the fuck do you know what the end product will have?
We can't know what will happen in the future obviously, but it's reasonable to expect that it won't be radically different from the devkit which has already shipped.

>But
But the binary blobs are still there, because they are necessary to make calls, send SMS, and wirelessly connect to service providers. The hucksters at purism can't make a "Foss" smartphone at all with any of the available hardware on the market.
>We can't know what will happen in the future obviously,
Then shut the fuck up until you're 100% certain that your bullshit claims are in fact true.

>But the binary blobs are still there, because they are necessary to make calls, send SMS, and wirelessly connect to service providers. The hucksters at purism can't make a "Foss" smartphone at all with any of the available hardware on the market.
The ARM chip isn't FOSS (nor is any CPU in any otherwise FOSS system) either so why are you worrying about the modem? We aren't at the stage yet where you can have a completely FOSS phone or computer (in fact it's impossible if you understand how computer chips are made), that doesn't mean we can't have products that iteratively get closer to that goal. As for the modem in the Librem 5, it's connected over a USB interface and in the future if a FOSS modem module ever comes out, you'll be able to put it in your phone. The same can't be said for most other phones on the market.

>Then shut the fuck up until you're 100% certain that your bullshit claims are in fact true.
>you need to see into the future to have a meaningful discussion
kys

Oh, alright, but still 4 cores have still been surpassed as well. Also:

>The ARM chip isn't FOSS (nor is any CPU in any otherwise FOSS system
>Foss smartphone
Lul they were fucked the moment they claimed Foss.
>kys
Fuck you, you purism shitter. I'm not backing your scam.

>Lul they were fucked the moment they claimed Foss.
Any reasonable person understood what they meant and the value proposition of this phone.

>Oh, alright, but still 4 cores have still been surpassed as well.
The whole point of this thing that it uses FOSS software throughout sans the modem and NXP might be one of the only suppliers that can deliver a modern SoC without the use of binary blobs and at least they are looking at the 8M which seems like the best thing NXP has
I get you on this, this does reek of bean counting. Something like 4GB of RAM and a 1080P display would be more apt as this thing is not trying to chase flagships

>Any reasonable person understood what they meant and the value proposition of this phone.
Any reasonable backer would have assumed that they were going to release a Foss compliant device 5 years ago.

necunos.com/shop/#!/Necunos-NC_1/p/127507133/category=0 hmmmm

Attached: Screenshot_20190201-221657_IceCatMobile.png (1499x2048, 437K)

x86 phone when?

>those specs
>1200 euro
This is outright a scam
There's is no excuse to be this shitty and cost that much unless your taking the fucking piss

I'm excited and happy.

>3GB RAM
Are they going sell different versions with different specs or something? Or are they made to order?

$200?

Some of the scalable stuff being done in Gnome apps seem pretty perfect for a phone to be honest.

$600+

>librem 5 vaporware update
Update to nothing because it doesn't exist. STFU until there's a actual phone, shill.

If we're going to talk about non existing things we could also discuss your sex life but the pinephone seems more interesting.

>2019
>720p
>on a $600 phone
DAMN IT LIBREM
SO CLOSE
Literally my only fucking qualm besides it running GNOME over Plasma Mobile. The latter qualm is an easy fix, the former FUCKING ISN'T REEEEE

Attached: 7JKtNbX.gif (400x400, 319K)

>NXP i.MX6 vs. NXP i.MX8 in the Librem 5
>1GB RAM vs. at least 3GB RAM in the Librem 5
>1200 euro vs. $599 for the Librem 5

>Binary blobs: NO
If the anons in this thread that consider what Librem 5 has constitutes binary blobs, then this also has binary blobs, since you can't buy a fully FOSS cellular modem.

>pinephone
Literally needs binary blobs in the kernel to run the graphics chip. kys

>costs sub $200
Librem needs binary blobs, has shit hardware, and costs $600.

>Librem needs binary blobs
This is false. Librem 5 does not need any binary blobs loaded into the kernel. The only "binary blobs" are in the cellular modem which is a blackbox hardware component that runs separately from the CPU and can be physically disabled with a hardware killswitch. This is fundamentally different from the binary blob that the Pinephone needs to load INTO THE KERNEL in order to even run the graphics chip. At this point I can't believe you are anything but a CIA nigger spreading FUD.

>CPU: NXP® i.MX 8M Quad or NXP® i.MX 8M Quad Mini
>GPU: Vivante GC7000Lite
lmao, is this 2012

>This is false
Show me on your librem 5.
>Not available yet
Something tells me that it's going to end up with binary blobs after its released, or it won't be usable.

It's a IoT SoC from 2014. It's shit.

>SoC that supports 4k and HDR, DDR4, Type-C
>2012
It's like you chose to be retarded

It's a 2018 part

They changed from a i.MX6, I see. The difference in performance is not big, still 2014-2015 mid end tier.

IDK what else to expect, it's not like you can expect to get a CPU from Qualcomm, mediatek or any other market leader without binary blob

It's still shit. Basically a high end chip from 2012 with some modern features. That Vivante GPU is just laughable. That chip was meant to small applications like sound processing.

if you have a job, you need a phone and your will be able to be tracked down via your public image(university you work for will have contact information, any company yoy work for or create will have your contact information), so this idea that you can't own a phone because you'll be tracked is only for people who have no job and no friends. there is no problem with owning a $15 Nokia. you aren't Jason Bourne.
Use a FOSS laptop with Tor and VPNs or whatever you need to do for all of your communication so you can actually hold a job and have a career, run a business etc, but if you want to participate in society, your name will be out there, as well as your face and personal information. if you want to go 100%, a cellular device is not possible.

someone's retarded
>what is a phone for private life

A pipe dream.

Let me guess
>Actually usable applications: none

not possible as you can be tracked no matter what you do. the entire point is that it is not private.

no google data collection plus no government until they start sending men after you = good enough
saying that one either has full privacy or no privacy at all is pretty ingenuous, at least for now you can still choose how many breadcrumbs you leave behind.
t. just made google-s pattern recognition software a bit more accurate :))

it will be good enough until it isn't, and when it isn't, it will be too late for you to do anything about it it.

if you stay very quiet and go with the flow, maybe it'll hurt less

>Nokia N900
Why they can't make similar phone, but with bigger screen, and resistive touch?

Attached: 55665.jpg (970x646, 157K)

you mean they havent run away with the investor/backer money yet? why they waiting so long?