/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: Richard_Stallman_at_MCT_(Caracas _Venezuela).jpg (1024x768, 177K)

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
dotnet.microsoft.com/
wiki.debian.org/systemd#Introduction
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

from last thread >Is there any reason I shouldn't use Artix? Am I incorrect in thinking that it's just Arch without systemd or is there more to it than that?

Would you agree that instead of choosing a distro if is Noob friendly or for experienced users, would it be better to just choose it by the package system alone?

Holy, I love bash
#!/bin/bash

SIZE_HOME=$( du -sh ~/Videos/ | grep -o '[0-9]\+' )
ETA_1G=$( expr \( 247 - $SIZE_HOME \) / 60 ) # assuming 1G/min, returns ETA in hours
ETA_2G=$( expr \( 247 - $SIZE_HOME \) / 120 ) # assuming 2G/min, returns ETA in hours
ETA_1G_MIN=$( expr \( 247 - $SIZE_HOME \) % 60 ) # assuming 1G/min, returns minutes
ETA_2G_MIN=$( expr \( \( 247 - $SIZE_HOME \) % 120 \) / 2 ) # assuming 2G/min, returns minutes

echo 'ETA:' "${ETA_1G}h" "${ETA_1G_MIN}min" 'to' "${ETA_2G}h" "${ETA_2G_MIN}min"

I'm not sure about the % part, it's been a while since I did math. Is there any way to optimize this? Having 4 variables doesn't look too good but I can't figure out another way.

Should a noob like me install GNU/Linux? I do little programming but mostly use my PC like a normie.
Would GNU help me stay private and prevent hackers from getting into my computer?

take possession of gentoo

I choose my distro on the ability to be FREE to choose what software i can install. NOT some superimposed religious fanatic developers on an ego trip limiting software that users can install based on the ramblings of a clinically mentally ill man.

>wine WINEPREFIX=/bitch/nigger/drive nigger.exe
>WINEPREFIX=/bitch/nigger/drive wine nigger.exe
which is correct

Variables go before the program.

Yes, that is literally the best way to pick a distro. Congrats on realizing that, not everyone does.

Oh look, another noob thinking he's talking about GNU while actually fighting a completely fictional strawman he pulled out of his ass.

Attached: 1533252964362.png (238x275, 140K)

For instance...
Debian and debian based distros censor the amount of software that is FREELY available in the main public repo's to its users. The users have to either add untrusted potential attack vectors or manage their own out of tree insecure versions locally.

Distros are mostly just making this or that job easy.
And yea, that tends to mainly reflect in the package manager.

Pick one that does what you want it to do.

Which is completely different from
>limiting software that users can install

If someone had a goal to create a repository of games you'd probably be complaining about them rejecting other software and cry that it's limiting you, right?
Well their goal is to create a repository of free software. What's wrong with that? It's their fucking repository and they can put whatever they want into it. Or would you rather take away their freedom to choose what software goes in their repository?

The criteria for inclusion into Debian's repository are these:
debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

Any user can install from any other repository or individual packages with the usual tooling, as they wish - there is really no obstacle worth mentioning there. Debian is just not maintaining these.

installer i ran in wine says i need .NET framework
how the fuck do i get this shit

winetricks

ran
>winetricks dotnet40
and it just hanged and did nothing

idk, you know it has a gui though right? Just open it up and select a different version then.

Can you just simply install it using:
dotnet.microsoft.com/

You should not CENSOR options. You should provide an open repository of all options and allow the user to choose what they want without having to open their entire system up to exploitation. You should provide all options and then inform the user of your opinions and views and even provide them a way to support your views and opinions.
You SHOULD NOT CENSOR their options and then act like nothing else exists.

>games
If you provide a repository of all games available and dont CENSOR based on your opinions and views, then i dont see a problem with it
Nice attempt at moving the goalpost though, it has nothing to do with the argument.

>Debian is just no it maintaining these
They do it as a form of religious oppression and censorship

>Any user can install from any other repository or individual packages with the usual tooling
And how do you verify the validity of these third party repo's? If they arent signed by the distro developers there is absoluetly ZERO security and the repo should be deemed unfit and unusable
>ussual tooling
If i have to maintain 100 packages that the developers have deemed wrong for me to use,due to political and religious methods, why do i even need the developers anymore if i have to manage all the deps and packages my self? I would be better off finding a distro that is not so restrictive and censoring

>it has nothing to do with the argument
lol because you misunderstood the analogy completely.
According to you that game repository should also include text editing software, music players, internet browser software, etc.. which totally defeats the purpose a game repository.
And if you say that a game repository doesn't have to include non-game software then you have to explain why you think a "game repository" is ok but a "free software repository" is not ok.

You're the one trying to control what others put on their machines. You're literally saying what repository maintainers should put on their machines (their repositories).
Your reverse psychology isn't going to work.

>They do it as a form of religious oppression and censorship
You're essentially making the accusation that if anyone doesn't practice all religions in their religious service, that's oppression. But the common standard is more that they hinder or harass [etc] the other groups from practising their or no religion.

That is not the case with Debian.

>And how do you verify the validity of these third party repo's?
The same method as with Debian's own repository - signatures.

Except the other group running the additional repositories is of course responsible for their repositories, not Debian.

> If i have to maintain 100 packages that the developers have deemed wrong for me to use
Their consensus -as far as I understand it- is bascially that it doesn't fit the repository they want to maintain. Individual opinions surely vary.

Either way, you are completely able to use Debian packages in a nonfree Ubuntu or whatever.

Reposting
Brainlet here.
Using the mpv webm creator and it is telling me encoding failed check the log file. Where the hell is the log file created?

how do i prevent files automatically chmod to 777 everytime i mv the files from usb/ex-hdd to /home?

why the FUCK is my mouse so weird in ubuntu?
>left click, drag, STILL HOLDING IT, lets go

this particularly sucks for adjusting windows

Does anyone else have strange kerning issues insofar as their fonts are concerned in Firefox? I don't have this issue with Chromium, but Firefox has it pretty bad. Top is Firefox, bottom is Chromium.

Attached: rendering.png (1020x138, 25K)

What is systemd? Why do some people not like it? If I avoid, will things be harder or easier for me, a novice?

I'm piping find to sort to xargs to cat. All of my files are formatted like this: 6.dat 7.dat 8.dat.
Is there any way to pipe only a subset of that range from either sort, xargs, or is there anything I can put in between?

Wait, isn't the top one better though?

> What is systemd?
wiki.debian.org/systemd#Introduction

> Why do some people not like it?
Various reasons. One of the more often mentioned ones is that it does too much.

IMO it doesn't if you got processes to init/watchdog/react to the system. But sure, it's more than is needed to start services once the machine boots.

> If I avoid, will things be harder or easier for me, a novice?
No

Those are practically identical; stop being so autistic.

IDK if I understood you correctly, but you could probably use grep [-e] ?

objectively, yes

Ooh yeah, probably, thanks. Forgot about that

So what's the problem then? You said the problem was the top one with firefox. Was that a typo?

>So what's the problem then?
There is no problem.

>You said the problem was the top one with firefox. Was that a typo?
Disregard that, I suck cocks.

How does Jow Forums handle notification handling? I use Pushbullet to push notifications from Sonarr, Radarr etc etc to my phone and computers. I'd really prefer to use a service that isn't botnet to handle this. Any recommendations?

GNU/Linux is so great because it's like legos. You can swap out any component easily, and when you rip something out almost nothing else comes with it or needs to be replaced but that one piece.
Now systemd comes along and it's a huge monolithic block. It's the entire floor plan of your lego house, plus like 2 walls, windows, and the door, all in 1 solid piece that you can't modify.

But it doesn't stop there!
You see, the manufacturer of this huge piece called systemd is also the manufacturer of several other blocks that you've been using on your old house as well, and they decided to change the connecting shapes of THOSE blocks so that they only connect to that giant new systemd block.

You start to complain about this "systemd" block to all your friends and they just say
>just don't use it if you don't like it lol
But if you don't use it then you can't use many of the other pieces you used to build your house with. Also all your friends keep asking you
>what's wrong with this new giant block? You're still building your house with the same floor plan anyway
and you're just wondering how the hell this whole situation even arose in the first place without anyone ever asking "why SHOULD we use this new block"? You basically just woke up one day and everyone was using it.

So then you go and ask all the lego kit sellers why they keep selling kits with this huge block, do they actually like it? And they say "nope, we just use it because the manufacturer stopped selling us blocks that don't connect with it anymore so we kind of have to".
So the situation carries on and the problem never gets solved. Then one day in the future you look around you and realize you're not even playing with legos anymore. You're just buying fully made model houses and scratching your head thinking wasn't the reason you started playing with legos in the first place to get away from model houses?

And everyone lived happily ever after...

Attached: 1460674596826.gif (426x284, 3.99M)

Install a rolling release distro to be fine of "security issues", for the most part.
Everyone should install it, there's only headaches in doing anything "prepended" to Micro&soft

make yourself acquainted with the presence of gentoo in your storage drive

No. The spacing is quite inconsistent. The top one is more sharper and dark, yes, but the kerning itself is quite problematic.

so im going back to a 2011 macbook, turns out im stuck with osx lion and i cant upgrade to whatever is the latest, what is the best distro to install on this bitch ?

>spacing is quite inconsistent
Isn't that the point of kerning though? To squish letters together if there's available space based on the letters surrounding it, not on a fixed letter spacing?

Take the word "agree" in your screenshot for example. Look at the bottom one and see the space between the 'a' and the 'g'. The 'g' can be pushed into the curvy area on the right of the 'a'.
That's kerning, isn't it?
I'm not expert on this, but at least from my understanding of what it's supposed to do it looks like the chrome one just has less (or none?) kerning

arch

Maybe I'm the retarded one? I mean the space between the "A" and the "n" in anonymous looks really bad to me in Firefox. Isn't the point of kerning to make it so that things are nicely snug?

Gentoo

can someone tell me why my mouse is so glitchy in ubuntu?

Hmm, now I don't know. My Jow Forums text in firefox looks exactly the same as yours though, so I guess if it's not ideal I'd like to fix it too, but I thought kerning was built into the font so I'm not even sure why 2 browsers would be rendering it differently

You sure it's not just a problem with your mouse? I've never heard anyone having that issue before

a problem with the software or hardware

definitely not, works fine on windows. could it possible be gnome? i am reading that online however i don't know why that would be the case

indeed was gnome, on mate currently and the mouse is flawless.. weird

post output

>it was gnome
>weird
how is that weird?

because non-free software are untrusted potential attack vectors

hey my nigs i want to use an old pc i got lying around as a backup storage/music streamer/ftp server, planned on using windows xp but after installation from the get go filezilla dropped support for it so i think now that im beginning it would be nice to go for linux since my other options are windows vista (bug riddled), windows 7 (will force me to update to windows 10) and windows 10 (the computer has an pentium d and 2 gigs of ram, im no scientist but even a dumbo like me can figure out it will never work) so what distro can i use with little to none knowledge with this use case in mind, please enligthen me

does compton not playing well with feh? i put compton and feh on my xinit but the background always changed to gray how do i set wallpaper on boot?

have you tried putting compton before feh?
feh only writes to window 0 once, if something else overwrites/erases it, the wallpaper won't come back

To spin down external HDDs before shutdown, I wrote this simple script and added it in KDE Settings/Startup & Shutdown:

#!/bin/bash

#in case Luks devices involved
udisksctl unmount -b /dev/mapper/luks-*
udisksctl lock -b /dev/sdb
udisksctl unmount -b /dev/mapper/luks-*
udisksctl lock -b /dev/sdc

#in case normal drives involved
udisksctl unmount -b /dev/sdb1
udisksctl unmount -b /dev/sdb
udisksctl unmount -b /dev/sdc

#in both cases, it spin down the drives
udisksctl power-off -b /dev/sdb > ./log.txt
udisksctl power-off -b /dev/sdc >> ./log.txt

Explaination: Only some of those disks are connected at a time, but since error messages don't prevent the script from running, it does the job, whether it have to deal whith encrypted drives or partitions.

Now, this works fine but, is there a smarter way to achieve this ?
(without messing with /dev/sda nor /dev/mapper/lvm-groups)

---
Debian/Ubuntu should be fine

Attached: gataris7a.jpg (648x363, 40K)

I think I'd run this with the init [systemd? use ExecStop] during shutdown rather than with kde's shutdown.

why do i always exit firefox maximized mode everytime i exited video fullscreen on youtube? how do i fix this? running on xubuntu 18.04

What's the difference ?

>mfw Mint Xfce has more packages than Xubuntu, but is lighter on RAM
>mfw i have no face

u dont even know what a packages is

>a packages is

Extremely good shit right here.
Go get some users please.

Attached: 1457072625489.jpg (480x640, 65K)

>use tor
>get cloudflare captcha
dropped

i'm using fvwm and i put ~/.fehbg & before exec fvwm it keeps getting overrided by default wallpaper even when i don't use compton

Is changing
--prefix=/usr
to say
--prefix=/opt
Enough to move all related files to /opt/?
So it wouldnt put any config files/binareis in /usr/bin /etc/ /var etc, it would put it all in /opt?
Or do i need to specify each configure options to go to /opt/?
Like --bindir --sysconfdir etc

Lots of background tools are incompatible with compton. I know hsetroot will work. Fvwm's default config will run fvwm-root during the startup function, long after anything in xinit is executed.

What's the best FLOSS proxy addon for firefox?

Anyone here who uses LUKS with an SSD and HDD setup?

Can anybody recommend me a "gnome 3 for babbies" guide or something?

Lately I've been feeling like surrendering myself to a mainstream distro so I want to know a bit more about Gnome 3. I've been an archlinux + awesomewm user for 10 years.

>sent from Fedora 29 live media

I have opensuse tumbleweed kde installed. I installed i3wm months ago and now I forgot how all the configs I did for i3 worked. At least I still know the directories. Problem is, since I did some tweaks with i3 cava isn't working so good on kde. It works all nice when its logged in i3 or tty, but whenever I try it on kde I the bars aren't visible like pic related. If I toggle the background, then the terminal is basically filled with ?'s. I'll post the pic after this post. How do I fix this?

Attached: 1.png (1600x855, 72K)

This is what happens when I toggle the background in cava.

Attached: 2.png (1600x862, 44K)

One more thing, if I toggle back to my transparent background, it looks like pic related.

Attached: 3.png (1600x857, 221K)

undo what you did

I forgot what I did. All the configs I've done were months ago. I tried .Xresources, .config/i3/config, and i3blocks.conf. Are there any other possible config files that I could try "undoing"?

I just installed mint 19.1
I took my personal hosts file and replaced the original in etc/hosts
it didn't work.
i used the system network program and add manually a site and it overrode my list.
i add another site add it overrode the previous one.

Attached: file_0.png (468x387, 208K)

rm -rf "${HOME}"

Do not run this, it will delete all your files!

I'm getting tired of my PC with Win10, I want to install Linux on it to see how it fares.
Is Mint the best current version of it?

Attached: vvcap 2019-02-02-12-27-42.png (325x122, 33K)

Initialize Gentoo

how to compile latest filebot?

Is there anyway to prevent nautilus from automatically going down to the location of a file that was renamed? In 16.04 I could open the change name option, type the information in, then click onto another image in the file then press enter and rename the file without having to scroll all the way back up and find the next file I was going to change. 18.04 doesn't allow me to do that since it if you click onto a different image during that process, it just closes the naming bar.
It gets really really irritating when I have 250 files in a folder and I am trying to name a few and lose my place every time.

Use the fucking terminal already.

>Use the fucking terminal already.

Attached: zoomer.png (434x327, 43K)

i'm not sure i understand your problem. try making a diagram in the gimp

>move the few images in a different folder
>rename them
>move back into original folder

If you have a folder full of files starting with numbers and change the file name to something beginning with a letter automatically sorted to the bottom because Nautilus goes by alphabetical order. I want to rename files and not have nautilus automatically move me down to the new location that I just renamed because I have to scroll up and find the next file again and repeat the process.

>not using the fucking terminal

I fail to see how clicking on an image, pressing F2 and typing the new filename is somehow less convenient than opening the terminal and fucking about in that.

Why would you manually do work computers are good at? You just trivially script the file renaming.

Doesn't have to be elegant, just hack something together. Its better than doing it manually.

I am not naming everything the same with just a modifier differentiating them, I script download everything off a page with terminal and put them in a folder, some times I go in and name a few notable images or things out of 250. They all are individually named referring to the subject of the image, it's not something general enough to be covered by just mass naming them.

On a side, that is possible in nautilus now without the terminal, you can select a group of images and click rename and it gives you the option to put in a name then a have it followed automatically by numbers, dates ,or whatever you want.

Might be related to Wayland if Ubuntu Gnome prefers Wayland over Xorg

Even if, you could obviously have a parametrized or interactive script to rename them quickly.

OTOH it sounds very much like you're tagging files, you might be better off with Hydrus or something.

are there any linux compatible pbp monitors?

I’m about to go balls deep my first time installing gentoo on my only personal machine that’s been running the same cracked version of Win 7 Ultimate for 6 years. No previous Linux expierence. I have all of my Saturday to do this. Gonna mainly be following the official documentation and a YouTube tutorial.

All I want to do is browse internet, listen to music and play Quake Live (besides fuck around and learn CLI from endlessly breaking and fixing shit)

Wish me luck lads. I hope this won’t take longer than 2-3 hours.

>Quake Live
You know this doesn't have GNU/Linux support anymore right? It used to run natively but they removed support and went winshit only (I had to stop playing it, was a very sad day). You can still play it on GNU/Linux, with steam's proton thing though.

Gentoo as your first distro ever is only recommended if you have experience being in situations where you have no idea what to do and have to hunt for information, maybe even spending hours doing so, and if you know how to conduct yourself on forums/IRC channels without acting like an entitled child (because then you'll get no help at all and end up coming here complaining about the whole community being "toxic" or something), and if you can generally handle failure without getting too upset.
Otherwise, good luck.