Are modern TVs a meme?

Are modern TVs a meme?
Will I even notice 4k?
Or HDR?

Attached: Capture+_2019-02-02-19-40-43.png (1423x2332, 919K)

More pixels are always nice but anything >1000$ isn't worth it and overhyped

TVs are a meme in general desu

4k yes it's a meme, you wont notice a difference at normal viewing distance, HDR on the other hand makes all the difference, but you need HDR content for that.
Meanwhile anime is still 720p, 15fps and 255 tones per channel, so no reason to buy anything outside those specks

You need a proper HDR TV, those are pretty expensive.
The cheaper """""HDR"""" stuff are pretty terrible.
They will all be 4K anyway.

if you have actual 4K content there will be an obvious difference between a 4K native TV and a 1080p native TV. I've never really had the chance to compare HDR to non-HDR so I'm not sure about that. but like said stupidly expensive models are generally a meme. I have a $350 49" vizio with native 4K (no HDR though) and 4K content (mainly PS4 pro menus & games) is just as clear and detailed as it would be on any other 4K TV.

>I'm not s tech enthusiast. Let me ask a board full of tech enthusiasts if I will enjoy high enthusiast technology.

1080p looks Bad on 4k screen. I'd wait until 4k is the norm.

This is factually untrue

>"I'm a tech enthusiast"

Attached: 1547147166034.gif (413x243, 51K)

>most hair raising blacks imaginable
There's plenty of Bubbas in prison. I know the Koreans are looking at what interest America and all, but come on, basic research. I know Americans worship the big black dicks, but come on.

you probably have more fingers than decent movies that came out post 2010

1080p on 4K screen means using 4 TV pixels per video pixel you fucking retard. there is no difference between watching 1080p content on a 40" 1080p screen and watching it on a 40" 4K screen. stretching 1080p to 1440p, on the other hand, does look pretty shit.

>most hair raising blacks imaginable

I don't want to feel like my TV is going to mug me.

8294400 / 2073600 = 4
protip: no it doesn't

>I'm not
>I'm on Jow Forums though

Attached: gay_garfield.png (723x483, 471K)

kek

4k is instantly noticeable and there is a big difference in image quality between TVs, things like quantum dot and FALD make a difference even if you don't appreciate the effects immediately.

HDR is hit or miss, in films you can largely be unaware of it's effect completely depending on the film and it mostly does not improve upon the image quality in a way that comes even close to the resolution differences for examples. HDR is better in games overall but even here you really need a 1:1 comparison of scenes to really understand the difference. It is also prone to be highly dependent on your hardware, such that an OLED might not be bright enough to display difference as it requires an extreme amount of brightness compared to SDR, or bad or non-FALD TV where the brightness itself causes a loss of detail, or your TV is simply not bright enough for HDR to really matter.

I've been using Samsung's 8k QLED for the past year. Why the fuck is Jow Forums still stuck on 4k boomer shit?

Yes, it's a meme.
Content is made to be consumed on phones.

I've seen the TV, it looks absolutely incredible but I'm not sure if it's because of the 8k upscaling or because of the superior image processor in the TV. I'll guess we'll have to see the 2019 4k models to see how they looked with the new processor.

>anime is 720p
Should someone tell this guy?

My last TV died recently so I picked up the cheapest 1080 in costco, some vizio thing. I like it, it has chromecast built in and some other shit and works well.

It's often animated at a resolution between 1080 and 720. It's better to have the downscale to 720 than an upscale to 1080.

>what are BDs

Upscaled.

Not always originally animated in 1080. Movies usually are though and any time they go and recapture the old film master to BD like they did with Lain. That technique though only works with old cell shaded shows that were recorded to film.

They are still better than 720p and it entirely depends on the actual series at what resolution it's animated. It's closer to 900 and over and downscaled for TV releases.

Also the upscaling done in-house isn't even comparable to any meme shit you can do at home.

If the TV is crap the HDR will look dark and washed out.
If the TV is Samsung it will look dark, even if you have a fancy 1000nits QLED.
But if you have a QLED you can turn on Contrast Enhancement and make it look SDR.

Funny because some years ago I compared SEL side by side 720p and 1080p and couldn't tell the difference, the two (Coalgirls) releases just looked exactly the same.
Maybe it's just me?

i hope this TV sucks and fucks for 15k dollaridoos

>OLED
It's shit

>PS4 Pro
>4K

Uhhhhhh

Literally what the fuck are you going to do to make use of those 8 whole k's?

My how the times have changed