Dental fillings are /technology/

Redbull me on non-metal replacement fillings.
I heard they don't last as long. Any new materials I should look into?

Attached: beforeandafter1.jpg (901x999, 354K)

Other urls found in this thread:

endoexperience.com/filecabinet/Endo Related Restorative Dentistry/Amalgam Issues/areThereacceptablealternativestoamalgm.pdf
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0254058418301494
pocketnc.com/pocket-nc-v2/pocket-nc-v2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>needing fillings at all
brushlets, i swear

the metal fillings contain mercury which has been proven to leak into your bloodstream.

imagine living in a third-world country that still uses metal fillings in 2019

I didn't know that you could solder teeths. What a time to be olive.

but drilling out the metal filling is also when most of the mercury is released, so there's little point to replacing them

There's so little of it it has no effect whatsoever.

Metal fillings are more durable and don't need to be replaced as often.

I'll wait for adamantium fillings thank you very much

>technology
medicine != tech

if you don't consume artificial shit chances are you don't even need to brush. flossing is enough.

If you're British then you could even floss ur teeths with pencil.

DON'T!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted amalgam or gold in my filling but my faggot dentist insisted on plastic composite. Now I have to replace it every 3 years and it costs more money because you have to refill every 3 years instead of never

>"But plastic composite looks more natural"

nibba who the fuck is going to look at the roof of your teeth?

I thought metal fillings are already phased out?

Every 3 years? Damn.
I read somewhere they last 7 years, which is still less than metal fillings, but not that bad.

Why can't they make a material that just werks and is white color?

No, you're just an idiot,.

I went to my dentist about a month ago and she explicitly said that no one uses those old style filings anymore.

I had the same fillings for almost a decade now and they're still top notch. Replaced the amalgam with some idk what plastics with ceramic particles.

>what is medical technology

My dentist doesn't use metal either, he says he doesn't like them, and he always makes a comment on my metal fillings lol
Lucky's I haven't needed any fillings since seeing the new dentist l.

Attached: snek.gif (400x480, 443K)

That is correct. They even say that it's bad for the health of children and pregnant women.
My fillings are white and I have them for over 15 years. Still good as new. Didn't know that they should last only 7 years.

>she

That was the secretary, dummy.

i shattered my two front teeth clean in half, one is filled in with composite resin, the other is a ceramic crown

i prefer the feel of feel of the composite, but durability is a major concern
i have had pieces flake off while eating in the first couple months after getting treatment, and required a polishing but never flaked again after

the ceramic crown i have never once gave me a feeling of confidence that it's not going to fall out, and feels excessively foreign in comparison
for having a root canal, i should also not be having any tooth sensitivity, but ceramic transfers heat (and lack of) more efficiently so you can get some really bad temperature fluctuation pains after drinking ice water and then going to take a bite of hot food, your gums will still feel this slight delay and storage of energy difference in the material

oh but the ceramic is clearly a stronger feeling material even if i don't have confidence it's not going to fall out
when a ceramic tooth scrapes a natural tooth, your mouth recoils like you bit foil

or mine does

>hires kike dentist
>gets rinsed

no wonder you're stuck in a low intelligence board like Jow Forums, I'll never see you on /sci/ luckily, stay here ignorant chimps.
it can last 10 years with the proper procedures.
>they
You believe in magic and flat earth, right?
its possible they left some nervous tissue after the root canal, it can be redone, spoiler: isnt cheap.

t. dentist

Attached: 1486393873630.png (2028x1300, 71K)

>I wanted amalgam
What year is it? Say about plastic whatever you want, but that shit ain't better.

Go drink some bleach, shit for brains.

doubt.jpg

except for aesthetics its better
no, you do it, scum
Jow Forums at its finest, lol

Attached: 1496052906357.jpg (501x501, 14K)

Metal filings are toxic and illegal in Canada. I have 2-3 composite filings and I never ever heard of someone having a problem with them.

Jow Forums is like a parallel world sometimes.

>toxic
post 5 papers from a top 1 scientific site

I think that I brush since I born and my theet are all destroyed...
bruxism is a fucking problem

>tfw haven't brushed my teeth in all of 2019
>in 2018 probably brushed less than 10 times

heh

Non-metal don't last as long. Metal lasts longer.

It doesn't matter, the mercury contamination is negligible amount that its safe by our standards.

>instead of never
Metal filling lasts long, but its not never. I think ~10-20 years is a good time.

im telling you right the fuck now that brushing your teeth daily is bad for you and if you did have cavities filled in with composite filling the shit will activity wears down not from you eatting but from brushing your teeth. needless cycle of fuck you by the teeth jews. you should only brush your teeth when you feel like theirs shit on it. flawsing your teeth constantly opens up your gums to allow more shit to get in. id rather deal with gum bleeding a little than to ever get another abscess.
the type of tooth brush you use matters every little. if you teeth feel smooth on bothsides after you are done brushing then its doing its drop. dont fall for the sonic care bullshit.
same goes for toothpaste. in fact you dont even need it people have been using baking soda for decades.

Assuming you're legit, which fillings are easier to replace/renew?

>Metal filings are toxic and illegal in Canada.
I can't find any source on that, sounds like bullshit.

Smoking was considered safe for a long time before being considered so harmful it's prohibited in public spaces.

Mercury is considered harmful. In very small amount, its negligible. If you smoke 1 cigarette, you won't get cancer and die suddenly. The point is, if you do it in enough amount of quantity, you're fucked. This is the case with even safe things like water, air, food, sleep, talking, laughing, etc.

needs 5 papers to understand that heavy metals are bad for you

Attached: 22386218_1876362149345924_699062969_n.png (211x239, 6K)

Heavy Metal is the best music, though.

That's a retarded point of view, let's all be in contact with the maximum "safe" amount of pollutant and contaminants from all possible sources and see if there is a cumulative or combined effect.

I hardly ever brush my teeth. I don't care when they fall out. Fluoride and amalgam will fuck you up.

Thats what the EPA does when they test out what is harmful and not harmful in a scientific and standardized experiments/test.

You can't both claim you accept what is harmful and not-harmful and then claim you don't accept what is harmful and not-harmful.

this fucking thread
lmao
t.dentist

Did you know, you have shit in your mouth? Literally. Fecal particles are in your mouth right now. Not just in your mouth, its everywhere.

The scientists deem what is safe/not-safe based on the amount of shit density. If you believe a single shit particle means the its bad, then you're a walking shit.

FDA for food/drug

>Now I have to replace it every 3 years

Either you're being scammed by your dentist, you have absolute shit dental hygiene or you live in a third world country with garbage materials.

I've had a few fillings and they have never been metal. Where do they still use them?They have not been in use here since before I was born. My parents do have older metal fillings.

>One of my molars is chipped, I can feel it with my tongue
>get a filling
>it fell out 3 months later

meh

so why do our teeth go to shit?
do animals get cavities?
is it only the food? or genetics?
why dont we just swallow our food like snakes :((

>Now I have to replace it every 3 years
Same here. For some reason they start breaking after exactly 3 years have passed. I used to think that my dentist is trying to pull some planned obsolescence on me but then realized that its just the filling composition being weak

i wish i was a fuckin shark i would just get new teeth every month

dds here, if you had to pick one, flossing is all you need. your teeth crack and fall out because of your gums, not the teeth or shit on the teeth. honestly you could use a toothpick only and you would be fine, it would just take forever.

Composite resins and all other new materials used for fillings are also toxic. In fact, they could be more toxic than amalgam, but they're relatively new so we don't know yet.
We do know that some plastics are estrogenic, for example...

Read:
endoexperience.com/filecabinet/Endo Related Restorative Dentistry/Amalgam Issues/areThereacceptablealternativestoamalgm.pdf

What poverty stricken country do you people live in?

If your poor get composite
if your rich get ceramic

I wonder if it's possible to get titanium fillings?

the most based animal, after spider of course
i would like to be spidey,still dont need to chew food, catching inferior creatures into trap like a boss

My dad is on his mid 80's and lived half of his life with those. Either he's some kind of super man or it's just not enough to affect you.

Get a fucking implant.

Here's some news, faggot: there's mercury in your blood RIGHT now. Ever suck on a banana non-homosexually? You just slurped on radiation.

I’m sure there’s no reason you can’t make one, but the ability of the material to bond to the tooth needs to be considered. Working for an adhesive company, seeing the challenges involved in finding formulas that can bond successfully to metal and plastic in addition to giving the required strength is difficult. I’d imagine finding a material to bond to the biosafe adhesives used for attaching the filling to the tooth is difficult.

Further, titanium is a difficult metal to work with. It is very hard and strong and therefore difficult to shape into the tooth. It may wind up around the cost of gold fillings just because of how hard it is to work with. Titanium is also expensive due to how hard it is to mine and extract from minerals.

I would be very interested in seeing the practicality, performance, and business case of a titanium filling however.

Death to first-worlders then.

I've had some nonmetallic fillings on my front teeth since I chipped them at a skating rink 20 years ago.

Had to get a root canal on tooth with metal. The smell and taste during and after was so bad.

>put he implant
>2 years later the body rejects the screw
>now with no money and toothless
>:)

Only happens if you are allergic to fucking titanium, the success rate is almost 100%. And if that happens, your dentist will compensate you with something else, if you are going to a half decent clinic, that is. And how would a dental treatment empty anyone's pocket? Are you american by any chance?

>you should only brush your teeth when you feel like theirs shit on it
So each day?

Dental technician here.
Ask your dentist for lithium disilicate glass ceramic fillings, they will pretty much last longer than your teeth.
It's great for both fillings and full crowns and isn't much more expensive, sometimes even cheaper.
Feel free to ask me anything on this topic.

Possible but completely useless.
It would cost more while also looking less aesthetic and having no advantages over modern ceramics.
>remove your vital tooth instead of getting a filling and enjoy all possible kinds of disadvantages all while paying 5 times the money
Yeah, fuck you.

"The Mad Hatter", comes from men who used to wear top hats.
Mercury was used to turn fur into felt, and they breathed in the vapors all day.
Get those things removed properly, or keep up on your chelation.

Attached: Mercury.png (1174x793, 371K)

>lithium
I'm not putting batteries in my teeth, nice try retard.

I'm have had composite fillings for 12 years now. No problems to this date.

Correct, you should be swishing water or olive oil for 10-15 minutes, this gets most of the shit out of your mouth and will have it feeling cleaner than brushing.
All dentists are sadists.

>not getting gold

sure is poorfag in here

Attached: gold-dental-filling.jpg (517x320, 146K)

>medicine != tech
bio-tech
>Biotechnology is the use of biological processes, organisms, or systems to manufacture products intended to improve the quality of human life.

Your loss, retard.
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0254058418301494

Attached: Header-Image3.jpg (2550x1044, 467K)

One of the main disadvantages of gold is the fact that gold is a heat transmitter, unlike Zirconium oxide, which is largely used as a heat isolator.
The problem is that your natural enamel is also isolating your vital dentin from outside heat, which causes damage and eventually kills it much faster.
Gold is a good solution but it's objectively obsolete.
If it's used on a non-vital tooth it's pretty much irrelevant which material is used, in that case you can feel free to brag about being a disgusting fuck who didn't brush his teeth.

>be young dumb kid from poor family
>mom hears of a cheap "dentist" from a "friend"
>get a filling for a tooth
>3 months later it completely disintegrates my tooth, no kidding, the shit fucking breaks into a million pieces
>go to another dentist "it's totally fucked up m8" so they just pull out what little was left of it
>get told to have an implant since apparently the missing tooth will fuck up my whole mouth somehow, but no money at the time
>fast-forward a couple of years, college, job, etc.
>finally have money but am deathly afraid of the long term consequences of having a piece of metal in me for 60-80 years of my life

What do lads? I know implants have been around for a while but that was mostly on older people who didn't live with them for more than 20 years.

Attached: 1500545904351.gif (300x300, 2.13M)

It is the garbage food people eat and the shit they drink. People will drink sodas and other sugary drinks with 50+ grams of sugar per serving.
Add candy, cakes, cookies, and other confectionaries and you have the breeding ground for shit teeth.
The only animals that get shit teeth are ones that are in human captivity. Because, you guessed it, the shitty diets we give them. Cats and dogs on a grain based diet will develop fucked up teeth because they are designed to eat meat based diets.

It's better to have some shit in your mouth than losing all your others teeths

and because teeth haven't evolved with the rest of our body and are not meant to be there for 90+ years

>afraid of the long term consequences of having a piece of metal in me
Which would be? You know that implants can be removed and your sponge bone in that area always keeps growing back, yeah?
There are no real downsides, just don't get an ''easy implant'' or cheapshit like that, go to a doctor that takes time with this, you gotta wait a few month for the bone to grow back, some dentists will do that shit in 24 hours and I wouldn't trust it. Just stay calm and all will be good.

How does it compare in terms of strength/durability when chewing and stuff?

People eat stuff they shouldn't. Bacteria and sugar feeds decay.
Pets now get tooth decay because of the solid kibble we feed them, with excessive tartar build up, leading to gum problems.

Swishing water with olive oil, baking soda or natural toothpaste 2x daily, brushing lightly as needed and flossing when needed is what you should be doing.
Humanity has been "pulling" water through their teeth for eons to clean them, not brushing them.
If you are really lazy you can use a waterpik, but just swish water with a dab of toothpaste the entire time you are showering.

Y'all motherfuckers need Mew

Attached: mew.jpg (1080x680, 113K)

never knew metal fillings were a thing
I've always got the stuff they harden with that blue blinking light

Compare to what? It's extemely hard material that looks like feldspar ceramic which is much weaker.
It's harder than your natural enamel so it will likely last longer than your natural tooth.
If the preparation is done right you'll be able to chew nails.

dentist here
i want to ask you what machines do you guys use for milling porcelain blocks?
how many axis are required and what software are you using?
i want to get a hobby grade 5 axis and see what i can do with it.

Not getting the implant might make the teeth shift, your bite can change too, causing excessive wear.
The implant will be expensive and extensive, usually requiring a bone graph.
Go get a second opinion, their are many synthetics on the market.
If you dont do anything, it wont kill you. It is more important to keep infections and disease out of your mouth, as this can actually kill you.

they were a thing 30 years ago.
idk why they are still used in usa,the rest of the world ditched them long ago.

wost LARP ive even read.

And the epoxy fillings contain BPA which leaches out as they wear down and react with food and saliva.

if you say so guy

>i want to get a hobby grade 5 axis and see what i can do with it.
You are not good at this.

>Go get a second opinion
From who? Every dentist I've asked suggested an implant, some before I even finished talking. In fact the first dentist I talked about said I not only need an implant but also to remove the surrounding two teeth because they've "shifted" a bit, so I'd need 3 implants. I went then for a second opinion and these guys said the teeth are fine, at worst they might have to "shave" a bit off but it might not come to that. Now I'm really worried about any diagnostic I might get because it feels like everyone out there is after my teeth (and money).

where did i claim otherwise?

Good you know your LARP is shit.

We don't have our own CNC machines, we just have a 3D scanner, we send out the CAD files and receive the products one day later. It's not like anyone could even afford this for ''hobbyist grade'' use and you're probably larping.
Still, I'd tell you if the website of our milling center wasn't down right now.

im sorry if you feel that way bud.
there is nothing wrong with my post.

the are not that expensive my man.
pocketnc.com/pocket-nc-v2/pocket-nc-v2

dunno why you are getting you panties in a twist.
but thanks for answering my questions.