>just use babel

I want to discus, rant about something some js devs don't seem to realize or care about: transpiling your javascript code to javascript code that works on "older browsers" (Internet Explorer);

Take pic related for example: a few lines of modern script gets turned into a cancerous mess. Now you may ask me, aren't you exaggerating? That isn't at big? But there's a catch.

IE doesn't have promises, so pic related has to load an external library! More bloat for running this small script that works perfectly fine in modern browsers.

The thing that annoys me the most is that the result, a bloated and bad performing mess shitted out by a convenient script, is pushed to browsers that don't need all the libraries and workarounds. Mobile users on with modern software but shitty hardware are the most affected by this performance hit.

Take a loop at polyfill.io, a service that looks at the user agent and only loads the polyfills needed. I understand this is to complicated for people just wanting to run a website, but i believe a IE and non-IE script bundle would be sufficient.

tl;dr Internet Explorer is one of the reasons some websites run like shit on other browsers.

Attached: more than 10 times the size and still incomplete.png (889x722, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitch.tv/naysayer88/clip/DifficultMotionlessTurnipPermaSmug
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I support neither IE nor FF, so I don't have this issue.

I use IE 7 agent. Websites usually don't load js and look nicer.

A significant number of people inform me they don't support IE, then run with Babel's defaults of churning out IE polyfills anyway. They just write a little bit of .css that doesn't support IE and then carry all the .js bloat that does.

The company I work at has moved on from IE support.
We only maintain already released applications. New ones just support Chrome and Firefox, to some extent Edge but now that MS will switch to v8 it won't matter

If your website can't function without javascript then it's shit.
If your website functions without javascript then there's no reason to be backwards compatible; the boomer asshats can run a real browser if they want to comment your blog.

What incentive do I have to make my website function without Javascript? To be approved by tinfoil autists?

filtered

Webdevs can't configure babel; water is wet.

>transpiling
Cancer in itself.

>"filtered" an anonymous
>allowing himself to get THIS mad from something he read on an imageboard

Attached: 1525684509205.png (645x773, 11K)

>having this much down syndrome
filtered

>d-down syndrome!
not an argument.

It's nice to have a page whose major features function without javascript but it isn't necessary. Let's just move own into the bright future of sites and web apps with lots of functionality

>autism
filtered

>a-autism!
not an argument.

People don't need to bether with babel directly now, we have browserlist for that.

Yes, the bright future of bloat, security problems, privacy issues, and duplicated functionality. Good future, faggot.

I mean, you don't need to have privacy issues and duplicate functionality if you use javascript

filtered

Are you retarded? Wait, never mind, of course you are.

Tell me how I'll have privacy issues when I use js on a website

Do you have down syndrome or just brain damage?

Promises are a shit compromise for a shit language

Neither of the two. Can you give me an answer or are you just retarded?

>f-filtered!
not an argument.

Well, most of the generated code only needs to be included once if you bundle it riight.
Sure, here it looks horrible because it generates like 6x the code, but since this code is constant, it will amount to almost nothing in a real web application.

Sure, it's a shitty tradeoff regardless and I also wish we could just tell IEtards to GTFO and use an evergreen browser, though.

Ponder for a moment why all deanonymising compromises of the Tor browser come from having javascript enabled.

>web application
PUREST CANCER

Can't you still use js to give your site some functionality beyond standard html components without compromising your users?

Web frontends for applications are pretty fun though

Web is the future. Making programs for a buggy, bloated, proprietary thing called an "operating system" will be no more. The browser is the new OS and webkit is the kernel. Get used to it gramps.

And here's that duplicated functionality referred to earlier. Why stop at one buggy bloated OS when you can layer a second buggy bloated pile of shit inside it? Why not go even deeper? The future is running Atom inside of Minecraft inside of Chrome inside of Debian inside of Emacs. All inside a VM, of course.

Every language that matters today has promises just under a different name. In C++ they are also called futures, in C# they are tasks, in java they are completablefutures, even in hasklel they have monads

twitch.tv/naysayer88/clip/DifficultMotionlessTurnipPermaSmug

>neither IE nor FF
based and redpilled
I once received an email from an user because one of my site didn't work with his obscure fork of firefucks, told him to fuck off and he said "you're right, I'll just use a decent browser".

You've literally proven fuck all and have no argument.