Custom rom on xiaomi

I'm getting a xiaomi phone next week.My only concern is privacy. If i root it and install a custom rom will i fix the issue?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (474x474, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BsHtfLh6azw
threatpost.com/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-a-blu-phone-infection/128390/
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/adaway-blocking-miui-calling-home-t3516119
mi.com/global/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Its called a hardware backdoor. No amount of software is going to fix it.

>Its called a hardware backdoor. No amount of software is going to fix it.
Which hardware backdoor specifically? Surely you can't be bullshitting and surely you'll have the sources for this.

The point about backdoors are, well they're hidden.

Almost all hardware has backdoors, whether it is to the Chinese government control or to private entities or to US gov or US private entities.

What's hard to go from is whether there's any accountability. In the US, you could potentially sue the gov/corpotates for any negative caused by backdoors in hardware. If you're buying from China, you have no recourse. If some Chinese are mining your private credit card/email data and selling them on black market, you're fucked.

And before you ask, yes, there are such a thing called "black market" on the internet.

Cool, so there isn't a confirmation for any of this - therefore no one can conclude hardware backdoors are present. Didn't need 4 paragraphs for that.

They're notoriously hard to install ROMs on since it takes like a month to unlock the bootloader. Check which ones have official LineageOS support first.

The kernel requires proprietary drivers and also there are devices running on the PCI bus (such as the baseband, camera, etc) with proprietary firmware which depending on how the controller is configured may or may not have direct access to system memory through DMA (not that this is much different from desktop PCs).

Your módem leal info and can do whatever shit they like but its not as that anón make it to be, running pie on my redmi note 3 and its great

>pricavy
>on a phone
wtf

>They're notoriously hard to install ROMs
youtube.com/watch?v=BsHtfLh6azw
When even a paid shill can do it, everyone can.
Your best best is a custom ROM and microG.

There are backdoors discovered from time to time from many chinese vendors. Use google to search. Its almost a yearly thing last I recall. Things get harder and harder to detect as hardware becomes smaller/chinese gets better/better.

Sure, but those are software backdoors - BLU phones and MIUI telemetry.
threatpost.com/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-a-blu-phone-infection/128390/
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/adaway-blocking-miui-calling-home-t3516119

This. Obviously, just because you can't be completely private, doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try to conceal your data, but don't have big expectations.

you'll still be protected from jewgle, just not from governments

Go be a schizo elsewhere. Either post proofs or stop spreading FUD.

Do you believe everyone in the world sells their product for the goodness in their heart? If there's a way, there's a will and if there's a way, there's a will.

There's certainly a will to create backdoors and there's certainly a way to hide backdoors.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

there are people just as paranoid as you but with technical know-how, that's how people find out about xiaomi and blu phones phoning shit home. you can do it too, if you want.

Redmeme note 5 + pajeet os 15 reporting.
You need to wait a month to unlock the bootloader.

Its much harder to find something than to hide something. A needle in a haystack scenario where you don't know what the needle looks like. Hardware security researchers need extensive time to research and they don't have time to do a security check on your cheap chinese shits.

>Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
Exactly, it's simply absence of evidence, back your claims or you are just talking bullshit. They don't want to risk selling their shinny phones outside chinkland by causing a privacy scandal that would end in many governments simply banning their products. Use your brain, these products have to be homologated by government companies before entering your country, and they sure as hell would notice an extra chip that exists for the sole purpose of tracking you.

>privacy
Either kill yourself or live a luddite life on some rural commune. No other option nowadays.

Enough with your doomsaying, go get treatment.

Xiami phones don't sell in the US. They sell in China. Stores like Aliexpress/Gearbest only has interest in selling wherever they can but their main concern is the Chinese local market.

>Exactly, it's simply absence of evidence, back your claims or you are just talking bullshit.
So far so good.
>They don't want to risk selling their shinny phones outside chinkland by causing a privacy scandal that would end in many governments simply banning their products
And now you've lost it. I'm sure only Xiaomi devices are the sole Chinese phones available both in China and worldwide...

>xiaomi
Do they work in Australia?

>They're notoriously hard to install ROMs on since it takes like a month to unlock the bootloader.
>You need to wait a month to unlock the bootloader.
They've changed it again, the bootloader unlock wait time is currently 360h (15 days) on phones released in 2018, and 72h on phones released before 2018 (+ Pocophone).

They don't sell locally virtually only at the US at this point.
mi.com/global/
And your carriers can permanently bootloader lock phones. What kind of a backwards decision is that?

Just don't buy shit from questionable brands.

so you're saying that people finding nothing suspicious after months of packet inspections is not a reasonable expectation of privacy?

You can prevent the phone from using xiaomi or google apps but that's the extent of it. Privacy on smartphones is really a meme. You can install LineageOS but to say that's more secure is just being naive.

I never said you couldn't, I said it's hard. I had to wait two weeks to get the unlock code for my bootloader, the program which unlocks it is Windows-only, and to apply for the code you need to do a bunch of steps which involve creating a developer account for xiaomi, applying for the code, confirming like 50 times that yes, you do want to unlock the bootloader and then finally run the tool (where you confirm 3 more times).

Backdoors are kept hidden and only used for critical missions. Average spyware sends info to be sold/harvested daily. Average bother activates when c/c issues command or through timed activation.

>I said it's hard
This isn't 2010. Then it was hard. Also, how hard do you think it is developing these? Flashing custom ROMs is nothing.
>and to apply for the code you need to do a bunch of steps which involve creating a developer account for xiaomi, applying for the code,
What developer account? You just need a Mi account. And that applying process is no more.
>confirming like 50 times
Uhh, what? This is the first time I've heard of something like that.