Does anyone here run Arch on their personal/home server? If so, how is it, compared to debian stable or centOS?

Does anyone here run Arch on their personal/home server? If so, how is it, compared to debian stable or centOS?

Attached: archlogo.png (600x600, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/DirtyCow
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why would you run Arch on a server? Genuine question.

Just curiosity. I'm thinking of migrating from Debian to someone else because APT is a bloody dependency nightmare.

It's doable if you're willing to put in the effort to keep it updated and maintained, but it's not low-maintenance the way Debian Stable or centOS would be.

>running Arch on a system that should just werk
>running Arch at all

Attached: 1505004053032.png (1233x957, 173K)

Running rolling release on a sever does sound rather interesting but I feel like it'd be really impractical since you'd have to constantly update your server and then fix stuff that arises from Arch being Arch.

Basically what said.

>server
>arch

Attached: costanza.png (600x629, 429K)

I'm repurposing an old "rig" into essentially a hashcat server. Been thinking of installing Arch, mainly because it will be easier to set it up exactly how I want. I want to setup wakeonlan, remote LUKS unlocking via SSH, and get correct drivers for hashcat/johntheripper installed, maybe some mining software for lulz. I get that Arch may be a pain when updating because it's rolling release, but I've been using it as my daily driver for 2 years now with no problems, and for my usecase I don't mind a little downtime or whatever for maintenance.

>Arch on their personal/home server
psthhhhhrasssssthhh
hahahahaha
nice troll op hahahahahahaha
imagine running arch for anything other than to
stand next to kool and his gang and post in desktop threads
LMFAO - youre a genius troll op

I do, I run a web server, a mail server, and a seedbox on it. Everything runs smoothly when you're done configuring, as with everything.
Never tried debian or centOS and don't give a fuck about this noob shit.

>debian or centOS
>noob shit.
Not sure if bait or just retarded.

Just do what corporations do when they have millions and billions of dollars on the line. Run CentOS.

Attached: install_cent_os_c0_front_v1.jpg (1920x1080, 370K)

Why do people do this? Half of the CentOS servers I come across are so outdated they still havent updated to a kernel that has patched dirtyc0w. I have heard you have to add a 3rd party repo to get a relatively modern kernel version. Why do companies use this shit?

Nope, using Ubuntu LTS on my media server and torrent box. CBF to deal with a rolling release when everything just werks already

I was baiting, but my point is, what kind of arch user would fuck with other distros?
I stopped distro-hopping 6 years ago, and settled with Arch.

I run arch for my pleroma server and some other stuff. I like it more than alpine. I also have a couple of centos boxes. I’m down on rpm since I enabled epel and updated and something detonated on my primary centos box. I spent two hours trying to fix it, problem after problem. For purpose built servers I like how simple arch is.

I do, its pretty easy as Arch is low maintenance anyway. sometimes you have to merge .pacnew files but other than that, pacman takes care of everything else.

10 years of support.

Your support is not much use when I have root on your box because you haven't patched dityc0w

>Why do people do this?
Professional software gets developed for RHEL and you get support for years.

>Half of the CentOS servers I come across are so outdated they still havent updated to a kernel that has patched dirtyc0w.
Admins who do not update are distro independent

>I have heard you have to add a 3rd party repo to get a relatively modern kernel version.
You don't need a modern kernel version. The old userland sometimes sucks but i never ever required a newer kernel.

>Why do companies use this shit?
Just werks

>Admins who do not update are distro independent
I agree, but I have yet to meet a CentOS admin that updated their kernel to a secure version. Almost every CentOS server I have encountered was running an old insecure version that had a root privesc vulnerability. This is not my experience with other distros. Maybe it's just me though.

access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/DirtyCow fixed a long time ago like on every distro even for ancient kernels. Red Hat has competent kernel hackers who can backport fixes.

It's not the distro's fault people don't install security updates. Arch needs to be reinstalled every 30 days, so you don't have to worry about things getting out of date.

Noob shit is running a rolling bleeding edge distribution on a server. You’re an idiot for causing yourself so many headaches. Being a NEET must be nice.

>You’re an idiot for causing yourself so many headaches
Nice projecting, but I haven't encountered any serious issues that were due to using a rolling distro. But keep using your outdated shit, I don't care.

I do. Mainly because I run Arch everywhere else as well and just use what I'm familiar with.

Also it's just a home server so who cares.

That said, there was just 1 time I had trouble in the 2 years I've been running it. PHP got updated, but the nextcloud package wasn't compatible with it and broke.

Never had anything else happen to me apart from that

How many thousand servers do you manage? You don't want any issues at all when updating. We have dedicated team for doing updates and shit like would fucking kill everything.

>Many thousand servers for a home server

You're in the wrong thread, you drooling retard, get out and learn to read OP before you embarrass yourself.

Backports are a thing, you know.

kek archtards itt proving they're nothing more than cringy hobbyists

>op asks about using X for his hobby
>people say X is fine for his hobby
>>ahaha xdDDd X isn't enterprise grade! its just for hobbyist xDD

no xorg to crash so prolly better