Do HDMI switchers cause input lag or degrade the image in any way?

Do HDMI switchers cause input lag or degrade the image in any way?

Attached: 1_9_2.jpg (240x300, 6K)

no, they have output lag

Attached: 1549061867963.jpg (396x385, 28K)

Depends on how many could you spend.

i dont know i dont think so but maybe who knows

I still cant get my head around how some of the cheap splitters and switchers strip out the HDCP.

I bought a cheap splitter so i could record HDCP protected content, to make backups of my legally owned content of couse.

not all of them are made the same way

Not in my experience. Just read reviews first.

Connect half a million hdmi switchers backwards to the TV for the negative input lag, watch the sports channels before they actually happen, bet on the games via the internet

PROFIT.

> Do HDMI switchers cause input lag
no
> or degrade the image in any way?
it's a switcher. it does nothing but move signals from one port to another.

Physics would confirm it adds latency, therefore input lag.

I've been looking for a displayport KVM switch to switch both my monitors and peripherals between my desktop and work laptop, every single one has terrible reviews. I have a 4k ultrawide monitor, do I have to spend $600 to get something not shit? The $80 Startech supposedly supports 4k, but the reviews are all over the place and some say it does not actually support 4k.

was that a subject you failed miserably at? what a dumb faggot.

Is the switch mechanical or electrical?

The input lag is so mall that it can be ignored (Only like a fifth more, depending on how long your cable is)
The image quality can be degraded though because the subpixel channels of each input has to go in the same output, and there's fucking 3 of them.
The subpixel wire can therefore only be one third the size, degrading color resolution to a third.
This is only noticable if you work with graphics though, as a gamer you won't care.

Attached: subpixel degradation.png (245x224, 4K)

>The subpixel wire can therefore only be one third the size, degrading color resolution to a third
the fuck am I even reading here

That's for analog video like VGA, digital video doesn't work like that. There isn't a cable for each color channel, it's all a series of 1s and 0s. If there's degradation, the picture is likely to be lost entirely or heavily glitched.

cheap ones add too much electrical infetterence to the signal which may result in some lag

>t.

Attached: brainlet1.png (455x441, 154K)

I'm not the smartest when it comes to tech, but I kinda feel like this doesn't make any sense for digital signals.

bump, anyone have any suggestions for this?

Just get a HDMI one and use a HDMI to DisplayPort cable.

>infetterence

Attached: 1548995385505.png (166x166, 14K)

they can because the Chinese do not give a fuck

No. It's literary transistors switching between lines.

Attached: 1549086473666.jpg (307x307, 26K)

There is a little propagation delay but its neglectable with modern components

you are probably talking to a gaymer who thinks he can notice 2-3ms lag.

No, you colossal fucking retard.

Underrated post, have a free (You)

What would be the advantage of doing this?

>you are probably talking to a gaymer who thinks he can notice 2-3ms lag.
when your monitor says it has 2-5ms delay, its likely +15ms in reality

when the monitor says it has 15ms delay you should run away

This post is stupid with no understanding of how digital video or HDMI switches work.

Hol up
Are you guys saying that cheap ass splitters that "do not support HDCP"
Actually just strip it and play the content through anyways instead of not working???

it's pretty logical from the manufacturer's perspective- would someone buy something that didn't play content or that "magically" just played the content. chinese are the sensible people here.

i laugh at people who buy hdcp compliant hardware

I don't think that's even a word.

No, that's not how they work.
Some can do that, but most just multiplex the lanes so that the splitter is invisible to the the devices.
They can't just strip out the HDCP because the video is fucking encrypted using it, so you'd need some hardware (or software) that is accepting the HDCP handshake, decrypting and supplying the unencrypted streams.

For some reason there are much more cheap HDMI switches available than DP ones. And you may consider getting two separate devices (one just for the monitor, and the other for the peripherals). I did that, and got a $5 HDMI swotcher (supposedly supports 4k, though I don't need 4k) and $20 USB switcher, and everything seems to work fine.

The HDMI stripper is doing the handshake with keys obtained from less than reputable sources.

Any display or capture device connected does not need to be HDCP compliant.

well meme'd, bro