What's your excuse for not using openbsd?

What's your excuse for not using openbsd?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-02_12-07-07.png (1920x1080, 227K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.textfiles.com/ezines/EL8/el8.3.txt
libreoffice.org/community/developers/
blog.devzero.com/2013/12/09/making-a-less-limited-usb-stick/
youtube.com/watch?v=rRg2vuwF1hY
allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/the-insecurity-of-openbsd/
youtube.com/watch?v=wdfYx7weqSs
openbsd.amsterdam/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want my hardware to work

I want to use hardware from this decade

My hardware works. What are you doing, buying proprietary shit like Nvidia?

Bluetooth, TB3, TPM and its HWRNG, NVMe boot drives, 5GHz WiFi in client and AP mode, good touchpad drivers

web.textfiles.com/ezines/EL8/el8.3.txt

Attached: openbsd lul.png (565x621, 33K)

I need wine to run pirated versions of MS Office because LibreOffice calc's equation solver isn't very good yet

Thanks used it for several months. I needed to run a .appimage file and I couldn't get a Linux VM to run with an internet connection. I might try again.

xenocara is a piece of shit and the devs have no clue how to maintain an OS
use slackware or freebsd

This. Libre Office is a fucking joke. How long has it been around? How hard can it be to program an office suite?

If it isn't that hard, volunteer and fix it yourself user.

libreoffice.org/community/developers/
Get started.

The lack of full-blown virtualization and modern filesystem like ZFS of HAMMER2.

so.. what can you actually do with this?

Attached: q5OL30E.jpg (600x315, 16K)

I like driver/community/software support

I'd rather not buy new SSDs every month

there are no image files for pinebook and im too lazy to use the serial method

Using NetBSD, the better choice

I haven't watched my gf getting fucked by enough dudes for me to be accepted into the BSD community

About half the things you can do with FreeBSD.

I have terabytes of data on LUKS

idgaf my debian stable just werks

>2019
>using an os without tickless mode

>2002
must be one of the two remote holes

>complains they can't maintain an os
>suggests we use an abandoned copy of patrick's hard drive

ssh got recently owned. If you want security, maintain it, not download it.

videogames

Attached: ahem2.png (808x853, 749K)

I'm an ideas guy

hey, i just installed openbsd not long ago. can some openbsd wizard please help me with an issue?
so i've been udf on things like sd cards and usb flash drives for compatibility between OSes
check out blog.devzero.com/2013/12/09/making-a-less-limited-usb-stick/
the thing is it's not possible, from my understanding, to mount an entire disk without a partition label. what to do?

are you talking about how openssh would react differently to invalid usernames? a bug, yes, but not a remote hole.

I do use it. It’s great.

Faggot, none of that shit matters at all.

Insecure trash with no software and no competent virtualization.

What would be my excuse to use it?

All of it matters to me and many others

No it doesn’t, you are simply instructed to post that in every OpenBSD thread because you work for the NSA.

brainlet here whats the difference between openbsd and freebsd and gnu + linux?

USB 3.0 isochronous mode.

Sure thing, enjoy your outdated and obsolete hardware accompanied by equivalently obsolete software

OpenBSD = trash
FreeBSD = trash with a linux compat layer
GNU + Linux = modern, fast, secure, mature OS that just werks.

I'm white and the BSD logo (the fish) is very anti white.

based pinnedposter

OpenBSD = ultimate chad OS for people who value their time
FreeBSD = OpenBSD with a tranny CoC'd kernel
GNU + Linux = retarded reddit-teir ricer trash for trannies and basement dwelling virgin neckbeards.

The average Jow Forums OpenBSD user, who has zero understanding of the actual differences between three operating systems, who resorts to memes to attempt to defend his choices.
You need to go back, brainlet.

Imagine being this new

It is not Gentoo

not sure what you're asking exactly. do you know the device's driver name? openbsd DOES have UDF.

But I am

I think you enjoy CoCs.

I prefer macOS

I have a girlfriend

I hate cocs and that's why I am anxious at the future of computers, given every single actually usable/secure OS is currently compromised. OpenBSD, however, is more dangerous by its very existence than any coc, because it's a cult of reality deniers and security haters.

Unironically gaymes. No virtualization solution for OpenBSD GPU passthrough, so I'm sticking with Ubanto
That said, it's great for a lot of things and I used it as a daily driver for years

meme os

>no software
>no hardware

>TPM
botnet'd by the company that created it (usually intel)
>Bluetooth
enjoy electromagnetic waves giving you brain cancer
>HWRNG
just use the data from your sensors as seeds (temperature, power consumed, core freq, etc...)
>WiFi
Enjoy electromagnetic waves ruining your brain
>NVMe
enjoy having your sector randomly dying after few, years or so
>touchpad
are you gay, or what? do you even need a cursor? aren't the emacs shortcuts by default decent?

No video drivers. But OpenBSD is good for situations where you don't need video, like for servers.

Just look at Theo and then look at Stallman.

Theo:
>likes beer
>in shape
>climbs mountains
>heaps massive shit onto companies which deserve it

Stallman:
>fat
>only drinks wine, and only one glass
>can’t climb anything
>doesn’t mind if System D is spyware as long as it’s Free

>reality deniers and security haters
Elaborate? OpenBSDs codebase is smol af and only two remote holes have ever been found.

I have more entertaining things to waste my time with.

>emacs shortcuts
>ever even remotely usable
>implying each emacs user doesn't manually remap literally every single key by hand to be much closer to modal

At least Emacs bindings aren't IBM/Microsoft CUA bindings. But you're right.

OpenBSD has had shittons of retarded huge vulns found, including some that have been in the codebase for several decades. For the most part, theo actively discourages people to register CVEs for vulns and considers non-remote exec vulns to not be vulns at all even when they're priv escalation or can be combined to lead to remote exec.

See for example
youtube.com/watch?v=rRg2vuwF1hY
allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/the-insecurity-of-openbsd/
I especially like the video because it also compares to other BSDs.
Also keep in mind that if the BSDs were anywhere near as used publicly as linux, you can bet 100x more vulns would be found. So just imagine, when openbsd, which pretends to be secure, is that useless under such little scrutiny.
Also, if you install anything, even in ports but not in base, you break openbsd's ENTIRE security model because things in ports are mostly not audited.

emacs bindings are worse than using a mouse for everything to be honest.
It's funny how emacs evangelists insist that modal is wrong, then they try to emulate modal (poorly) and all their favorite extensions use modal keybinds by default.

>What's your excuse for not using openbsd?
I dont want to be associated with social cripples

>STILL shilling that troll blog 4 years later

>2017 video
>2010 article titled "all that's wrong with the world"
>over an OS with no market share
Yeah I don't believe you user.

I'm not a low-functioning autist.

Agencies fear Puffy.

Attached: 1ACE6A99-2D35-4855-918E-D41D22CB441D.jpg (227x343, 59K)

Nonmodal shouldn't exist in any program other than entirely GUI programs. If a program is a text-only UI, a TUI, modal editing is far more ergonomic, and therefore good for your hands' health.

I use Arch already

>people who value their time

Attached: 562.png (1597x1600, 532K)

cope

downs

>install OS
>install DE
Done.

tried it but firefox was really laggy on it

It is objectively more of a timesink than any linux distro besides gentoo or maybe arch.

I find this false. Back when I used to use OpenBSD (I use FreeBSD now) I found the install and configuration to be far faster than installing Debian.

OpenBSD is the most Unix-like of all the OS’s left standing. So much shit in Linux feels strapped on, like WiFi. Also they are so much better with security. After they proactively disabled SMT guess what? A fuck ton more SMT security issues were discovered.

Recently they have been working hard on making it faster and it feels ultra snappy since 6.4 came out.

They discovered a clock polling issue and fixed it, it is no slower than Linux now. However people are switching to Iridium for the unveil feature. Most secure browser on any platform.

maybe i could retry it then. the last time i did try it was over a year ago and everything else did work even then.

The OpenBSD people first try to make things go properly, then work on making them go fast, and if they can't do it right they don't do it at all. That's one reason they dropped Bluetooth, the protocol is a mess and isn't secure and can't be fixed.

You should read the Design and Implementation of 4.4 BSD to understand their philosophy. I also think it's probably one of the best studies in operating system design.

>not just using one of the many Free solvers
>not just writing your own with Newton's Method
Are you sure you kids are on the right forum?

I hate freedom.

>he virtualizes with his buggy Intel extensions
>he doesn't just use jails and chrooting like he is supposed to on a Unix machine

is 13 current safe to use, like debian testing? or will it wreck your shit like sid?

used it as a router , firewall os few years ago, the bsd iptables alternative is really nice.

GNUlets
>xer OS doesn't have songs: youtube.com/watch?v=wdfYx7weqSs
>xer OS's kernel is at the mercy of IBM, Red Hat, Google, Intel, and the NSA
>xer userland utilities have so many added switches that they need a GNU Info manual instead of a man page which just tells him to read the Info manual
>xhe is lucky if xer commands even HAVE a man page
>xer OS isn't directly descended from the original Unix
>xer "open source" funding is largely directed at trying to get African migrant cattle workers to submit kernel patches which will be accepted in the name of diversity and inclusion
>xer audio pipeline includes its own full mini-OS with turing complete scripting languages so the NSA can pipe live audio over the network transparently
>xer init system has subsumed most of the function of the OS and has started hooking the kernel directly
>xer init system has more lines of code than OpenBSD's kernel, userland, compiler suite, and X implementation
>xhe can only really trust Stallman and Torvalds, and Torvalds maybe not so much
>xer OS is only vaguely working on many of the officially supported architectures

Current is always the way to go on the desktop, stable is for servers. It's not like Debian where testing is guaranteed to fuck you up.

Wrong. Having to reinstall from snapshots all the fucking time is not enjoyable or useful. And he means FreeBSD, where it's even more wrong to use -current than it is on OpenBSD.

>installing a snapshot is a big deal
It's not at all, and the only reason to fool with it at all on OpenBSD is if you want to participate in development or testing.

I've used it from time to time. It's a nonstarter in the commercial software development world. Once I had to fight to be able even to deploy FreeBSD and enjoy the benefits of ZFS, jails and a superior init system. Now I just run Alpine Linux with OpenRC in Docker containers on btrfs. Non-GNU Linux is pretty good.

>uptime
>37 mins
every fucking time

Attached: intti_huutis.jpg (923x599, 112K)

No software, no drivers, no support, no vydia, no virtualization, no nothing.

Attached: developers.gif (220x164, 835K)

They are. Jow Forums is for brainlet webmonkeys and pajeet. No one here even knows what Newton’s method is. Let’s go back to /sci/ fren.

Newton's method is prominently used in SICP, which is /prog/ reading material! RIP textboards.

I hate /sci/ everybody there thinks xkcd is funny. We can improve the discourse here!

I learned it when I was like 12 by reading an HP 15C calculator manual.

>no virtualization
This one is wrong. There is virtualization, and there is even a OpenBSD-on-OpenBSD VPS company with competitive pricing: openbsd.amsterdam/. If I had €60 to throw away, I'd sign up and try to migrate some of my Linux services there just to improve the cross-platform compatibility.

It's also taught to freshmen in many STEM fields. Bring back /prog/. Make it an imageboard, I don't care. We'll have snakeposting.

This is zoomer computing everybody. Peak zoomer.

Attached: 1542244482945.jpg (768x576, 92K)

I can wish only zoomers liked *BSDs and had experience with them.