Now with added coil whine

>now with added coil whine

Attached: philips-led-bulbs-463000-64_1000.jpg (1000x1000, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ies.org/fires/a-reality-check-on-blue-light-exposure/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

LED bulbs are a meme the literally cant make one that shines light downwards/ towards the base

Don't forget eyestrain inducing flicker and cancerous blue light.

Found the poors who haven't used LED bulbs

But they can. Look for 360• ones

Too bad they are 2x expensive

Of course they can. They arrange the modules on a cylinder that sticks out from the base for that, for example.

Import a chinese LED that doesn't whine and/or flicker, they're like $3 rather than $1.5.

>flicker
No such thing unless youre using an incompatible dimmer
>blue light
just get a high cri nichia 500k

> Too bad they are 2x expensive
Makes them $3 shipped or so, yep. Maybe even $5.

You surely don't think you're getting it all cheaper if you pay for the electricity of a halogen or incandescent bulb in your rooms instead?

>No such thing unless youre using an incompatible dimmer
Nice meme. Of the dozens of LED bulb models I've tried, at least 90% of them had noticeable flicker. Try looking at them through your phone camera or hook up a solar panel to an oscilloscope (as some might won't appear flickering on the phone, especially if the camera app has anti flicker filter). And no, I dont use dimmer since I don't have any.

Granted if you were poor and tried to jump on the LED meme cheaply and early you did run into some real shitty bulbs
Now today you can get $2.50 a pop LED bulbs from walmart or something that don't flicker and even have proper regulation where they don't dim when something comes on that makes the voltage sag

Philips 18.5w @ 2000 lum that i bought for my apartment are around 10$ here
The 360* ones are 18-20$ but less bright 15w @ 1500lums I think

I have an alternative hypothesis: user bought Nichia or otherwise educated enough purchase?

My ~$2-3 Chinese LED also virtually don't flicker, not even if I put a camera on them. No Nichia-tier CRI on those, though. They're just reasonable and not very blue, but not as great.

>cancerous blue light
ies.org/fires/a-reality-check-on-blue-light-exposure/

Attached: fires-bluelight-05.jpg (676x452, 49K)

How much do LEDs cost locally for $2-3 shipped form china LEDs to make sense?

>light in the visible spectrum causes cancer now

I have no idea where you people buy your bulbs, maybe you just don't notice 60 Hz flicker, but here in Europe almost every model flickers at 50 Hz, although it's been getting better in the past few years. It doesn't even matter if it's a good brand, Philips, Osram, IKEA, they all fucking flicker. The only ones that don't I bought at Aldi and Obi and they're unbranded.

Usually $8-15, even at Ikea. Other shops cost more; they're mostly selling the comparable LEDs for $15-25.

I checked the US Ikea, they're a bit cheaper but also ~$7-13. Maybe you got cheaper discounters, but are the LEDs there good?

At least try reading the article, user.
>What is often missed is that the total energy in a wavelength band is more critical than the height of the spectral peak. Specifically, it is the area under the curve (width x height) that we should be more concerned about. For example, if you define “blue content” as the fraction of light between 400 nm and 490 nm compared to light between 400 nm and 700 nm, then for the sources above, the blue content of the LED is 16.6%, the fluorescent is 18.4%, and the HID is 24.0%.

>Now let’s try to tackle the real reason for this post – the total amount of blue light we are exposed to from LEDs. Our visual system is adapted to withstand exposure to sunlight for about 10 hours/day, every day for roughly 70-80 years.

>Below is the comparison between indirect sunlight (10,000 lux) and commercial/retail lighting (400 lux). Notice the blue squiggle at the bottom? In the range of 400 nm to 490 nm, indirect sunlight exposes us to 27 times as much blue light as LEDs at typical indoor lighting levels.

If it wasn't clear enough: I imported them from China, at $2-3 or so a piece.

I have no clue what Aldi or Obi sells, but it sounds like it's probably the usual rip-off with the worst LEDs from China that would be sold for $1 or so.

Most of the ones I operate now are variations on pic related.

Not as good in terms of CRI as user's Nichia's [and surely not the absolute optimum in power efficiency vs a high quality single chip], but they are cheap, useful and do not flicker. "Good enough", really.

Attached: led.jpg (790x800, 227K)

>Our visual system is adapted to withstand exposure to sunlight for about 10 hours/day, every day for roughly 70-80 years.

LOL. You know they just pulled this 'fact' out of their ass.

Yes sunlight might have more energy in the blue spectrum overall, but it is the BALANCE that matters. Living under a pure blue light even if lower energy than the sun is a recipe for disaster

Attached: IfOnlyYouKnewHowBadThingsReallyAre.jpg (420x420, 95K)

I can spend anywhere from $1 for somewhat flickery Dollar tree LEDs to $3-4 for General Electric bulbs which seems pretty good as far as their drivers are concerned
I do live in the US so that may just be reason why they are cheap, we haven't had to spend $8 or so for a single decent LED bulb in awhile

It's surely possible, but do US customers really understand LED well enough for these stores to not try to sell them marked up cheap crap for better profits?

That model worked/works way too well here in Switzerland.

It's such a competitive market place no one can really get away with marking up cheap shit
If something is cheap shit it's priced like cheap shit
Take the dollar tree bulb, it's cheap it's kinda bad but it's $1 and you'll never find a bulb of the same quality sold for anything more an a $1

>You know they just pulled this 'fact' out of their ass.
Did your people evolve in caves, afraid of the great fire orb in the sky? No? Then guess what the human eye is adapted to deal with.
>but it is the BALANCE that matters
You're not wrong. But the relatively recent discovery of melanopsin containing retinal ganglion cells that respond to narrow bands of radiation on the visible spectrum is so new that there haven't been enough studies to definitively say what function each type even performs. The current thinking is to limit blue light exposure at night, but even this isn't fully understood and focuses on replicating the sun's progression through various color temperatures during the day. Sure lots of marketers have taken advantage, but if you talk to experts actually trying to nail this shit down they're going to respond to a lot of questions with "we don't know yet."
>Living under a pure blue light even if lower energy than the sun is a recipe for disaster
The article isn't saying you should live under a 5000K LED lamp all day. It's a direct response to the AMA and the study they endorsed which has been publicized as saying blue light causes cancer.

Attached: Circadian-sun-progression-RGB.jpg (1029x422, 102K)

You can still buy incandescent if you aren’t a retard who fell for the nu-bulb memes. I just got some of pic in the neodymium 100w flavor.

Attached: CEA4C2E0-4CB3-4850-BAF5-24960034F0AD.jpg (342x111, 9K)

>That logo
Not getting my money.

I'm glad the dollar store ones I get don't have these problems. lol

Just buy warmer temperature colors you moron.

>noticeable flicker
>need an oscilloscope to see it
Even by Jow Forums standards this post is retarded.

Of course flicker is a thing, they are diodes being fed alternating current. You're going to be able to detect that with a fucking oscilloscope.
You need high quality bulbs with controllers that can counteract the fact that they are unpowered half of the time.

Philips 220V doesn't have coil whine.
GE 220V fucking has.

>You need high quality bulbs with controllers that can counteract the fact that they are unpowered half of the time.
You don't even need high quality bulbs, you just need bulbs that have a proper AC to DC driver which isn't hard to make, almost everything you plug into a wall uses a AC to DC converter which provides consonant current
Powering LEDs with AC isn't rocket science

I have $1 and up led bulbs, no flicker, none have broken/failed, and I haven't been turned in to a Smurf. Maybe you have bad power.

i have 3 15 euro Mueller Licht bulbs and a remote
honestly it is worth it for the ability to set colour temp and other versatile features.
the remote is nice and durable, comes with a magnetic & adhesive mount for walls.
there is coil whine but it's only noticable in temps of 4000 + and high brightness
i never have it over 2000 anyway so it doesn't bother me

Attached: soy_pears.jpg (569x494, 24K)

Most newer bulbs only last 900 hours.

After burning 54 kWh with an inefficient as fuck 60W bulb costing you something like $5-15 in electricity, you'll want to replace that with a LED anyhow.

>year of our lord 2019
>incandescent shills still repeating talking points that havent been true in a decade

Just buy Cree. They pot every bulb.

I live in a cool climate and the heat from incandescent is not wasted. Also I’m a ham and manufacturers always omit the RF compliance parts from bulbs, I won’t have fucking Chinese light bulbs jamming my $12,000 radio station.

>cancerous blue light

Is this the new flat earther

this but unironically

>put on blue light filter on monitor
>eyes feel significantly better

philip is a shit brand, get feit instead

Wifi causes cancer too so

>being this mentally retarded

Must be a linux user.

cree flickers

Blue light filter reduces eyestrain, not cancer. It also helps with melatonin production if you turn it on in the evening.

>reduce overall monitor brightness
>eyes feel significantly better
Maybe just turn down the brightness?

found the philips shill

only older generation leds bulb have flickers
newer leds have improved now, this isn't 2013

Attached: snapshot_20.00.png (1920x1080, 3.65M)

it's a 99W heater element that happens to emit some visible light

> experimented with several
The best I've found is the Feit 16 watt, 3000k. It's the closest I've found to an incandescent in terms of color and no eye strain. It also isn't dumping noise or other garbage back on to the a/c power.
But they're around $10 to $15 each.

Attached: 017801141733_ca.jpg (400x400, 10K)

Are you guys finding that 100w LED bulbs aren't putting out much more light than a 60w? I mostly buy Philips bulbs

>But they're around $10 to $15 each.
I can buy 10 normal lamps for that price and they work just fine for me.

100w equivalent are significantly brighter if you put em side by side

>Feit 16 watt, 3000k. It's the closest I've found to an incandescent in terms of color and no eye strain. It also isn't dumping noise or other garbage back on to the a/c power
the feit at homedepot/costco are good, very cheap with utility rebate

They emit only 90% of the light as a normal incandescent. It’s true. But you never have to change them in 30 years. As I said I’m a ham so the small added expense is worth it to have an RFI-free bulb. Other people might enjoy the long life, your expensive LED and CFi and even Halogen bulbs are probably rated for less than one thousand hours.

You’ll spend 20x as much on me on bulbs and my added power use will thusly be canceled out.

Attached: 1500708306620.webm (904x500, 613K)

Lol I have three lights in my house right now that flicker. Went back to CFL and incandescent. Now I can see in my house and have to pay an extra dollar a month in electricity.

>your expensive LED and CFi and even Halogen bulbs are probably rated for less than one thousand hours
Sylvania rates theirs for 25,000

Pfft they’re toast as soon as you get two seconds of brown power.

The Sylvania brand CFL bulbs I use are 1600 lumen 6500K and rated for 10,000 hours.

They are instant on and I have never had one burn out.

If all you care about is really bright even light you need to go with CFL.

>not having full spectrum light
Enjoy your SAD and not seeing the full beauty of you collection of Dutch Masters oil paintings and grand master ukiyo-e prints...

Dude 6500k is basically full daylight.

Every single person that spends any amount of time in my apartment ends up driving to home depot to buy Sylvania's contractor edition CFL that I use.

>he thinks his “6500k” is actually full spectrum
Hahahaha OK. Depression is probably causing you to be a tripfag even now...

Attached: FBE7E011-358E-46AD-BD5F-46B5E68065CA.jpg (1242x1276, 468K)

Not everyone is an emotionally crippled NEET hypochondriac chasing the UV dragon.

>tfw it's either 3000k or 6500k in my country
I just want to buy the 5000k lamp AAAAHHHHH

Attached: 1549132566124.jpg (598x768, 147K)

>Anime
Cringe. Stopped reading right there.

>What are internet stores?

>reduce monitor brightness
>it uses PWM
>low brightness causes even more eye strain

>coil whine
Get something with a dropper supply, then.
The only way you could get flicker is if you were driving the LEDs half-wave or with PWM, both of which are fucking retarded for a single-mode light bulb.

Not exactly.
High-CRI LEDs do exist but you'll never find them in consumer light bulbs.

Attached: spectra.jpg (388x357, 13K)

Your posts cause cancer.