Use case: literally everything

>use case: literally everything
>C# is streamlined as all fuck, one of the easiest languages to learn
>lots of features and based Billy G just buys everything that might help his framework grow, see something you like? Here's a few millions and tomorrow there's a button in Visual Studio to use it
>Visual Studio is a great IDE

What's there not to like about .NET? Apart from the obvious fact of it not really specializing in anything, why would anyone not get into it?

Attached: lol.jpg (400x400, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

journal.stuffwithstuff.com/2009/01/03/debunking-c-vs-c-performance/
futhark-lang.org/
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/deploying/
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/deploying/runtime-patch-selection
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What's there not to like about .NET?
It's not perfect. Then again, what is.

.Net is awesome but I don't trust Microsoft. Don't get me wrong I use C# for work and it's a wonderful language, I highly recommend it .

Because people are still booty-devastated about 90s era MSFT. C# and .Net Core are fantastic, and no other language or framework has near the amount of funding and effort poured into improving it.

windows is dying. other than that, yeah, everybody knows visual studio is the best there is.

Still a massive patent trap if used on linux dists

>windows is dying
nothing to do with .net

Java pays better though

It's extremely verbose and lacking in power compared to alternatives. Though it's not C++-slow, the modify-compile-run-close paradigm is slow and annoying (and worse with more complex projects and assets, so people literally build hacks around that to avoid having to do it as much as possible, such as hotloading stuff).
Its GC is also pretty shitty (it's not retard-tier but it's no good and has no pause guarantees, even in probability. The same applies with the jvm. Jvm GCs are better and more modifiable, but admittedly not by all that much).
The ecosystem is also really, really bad, because the biggest chunk of it (i.e. even basic libs) are closed source, cost money to even try, or both.
Visual studio used to be a decent, though never great, IDE. However, it keeps doing crap like literally injecting telemetry that phones home to microsoft into your binaries (it did that even for c++ programs).
Speaking of which, C# is basically impossible to develop without an IDE (same with java), which is bad because it ties the tools and the languages with no benefit (such as, for example, how you would benefit from smalltalk's image introspection and being able to modify the IDE in realtime from inside your program to fit your specific project, like literally make an asset picker that loads and updates the system in realtime with a single line).
It's also not as fast as it could be, but that's not like it matters much for the niche it's in.

C# is a better java, but without the ecosystem or support, and with worse tools, platforms, and portability. It's also no more than "just another java".
C# is no good for scripting, performance-critical, hard (or even soft, really) realtime, close-to-the-metal activities, or long-running processes.
It's also mediocre for projects that aren't large or above.
Overall, there is no reason to use it because there are superior options in every niche.

This entire post reads like bizzaro-tier nonsense. I guess this is the ultimate outcome of embracing Jow Forums memery.

It's OK pajeet, you still get 1 rupee for your shilling effort. Just make sure to learn English better before next time or you might get yet another pay cut. Chop chop now, the advertisement won't make itself!

80gb installer

>spouting memes that haven't been up to date even a year ago
I thought this was Jow Forums, not /his/.

>C++-slow
stopped reading there

It is as slow as anything that isn't C or Rust.
As this it is irrelevant for non normalfag shit

It's just a slower Java that works like ass on anything not Windows
Just use Java instead

t. literal inbred

kek, not anymore
Everyone I know working with it told me how they had to replaced it
Oracle basically killed it last month since they started to ask for money when used comercially

Attached: 1546781202248.jpg (700x933, 54K)

>kek, not anymore
every single one on this list is a java shop

Attached: 1526480569606.jpg (935x466, 52K)

I hate microsoft

is java faster? Im a .net developer but i dont see how java with its fake generics (which will box even when the type parameters are valuetypes) and lack of structs/user defined value types can be faster.

c# also has unsafe mode which is nice for performance critical stuff.

How can an interpreted language be faster than a compiled one? Asking for a friend

The java compiler is better, even though structs and better generics should give .Net the advantage.

not sure what the question has to do with the thread

a language is not faster than another
you could create a super shitty C/C++/Rust compiler that's slower than the python interpreter
you could also code a program so badly in a 'fast' compiled language than the equivalent program well written in an interpreted language is faster

.NET languages (C#, F#, VB.net) are not just compiled or interpreted, like Java, the code is compiled into an intermediate bytecode and when you execute the program it compiles into machine code as the program runs

surely there are shitloads of popular ML C# libraries in 2019 right?

>This entire post reads like bizzaro-tier nonsense.
nice argument retard, you should call him an incel too

Pajeet, my son

Visual Studio is extremely bloated spyware and companies like Xamarin were only acquired to kill off MonoDevelop rather than improve the .NET framework in any way
C# furthermore has very poor SIMD support and many performance gotchas you have to work around

>even though structs
Don't bet on this. Benchmarks like journal.stuffwithstuff.com/2009/01/03/debunking-c-vs-c-performance/ have shown that stuff like escape analysis and the memory management make classes faster in most typical scenarios.

>you could create a super shitty C/C++/Rust compiler that's slower than the python interpreter
You can't however create e.g. the best Python implementation that is faster than the best C# implementation. It's simply not possible due to Pythons semantics, in any environment on any possible computer. Because in every computer more dynamics = higher costs.
For example GPUs are faster than CPUs in their domain because they are more static. And even among those, the most static, but borderline useless languages win. Like futhark-lang.org/
>inb4 muh theoretical metaphysical computer that could exist on an alien spaceship in the 7th dimension X142 in bizzaro Jow Forums

Therefore languages have performance characteristics.

>you could also code a program so badly in a 'fast' compiled language than the equivalent program well written in an interpreted language is faster
Cool, but what has this to do with fast languages.

um I replied to this question
>How can an interpreted language be faster than a compiled one?

>You can't however create yada yada
ok? you could also have a compiled language whose semantics make it slower than python what does this have to do with the topic at hand

>Cool, but what has this to do with fast languages.
again, I'm replying to this question
>How can an interpreted language be faster than a compiled one?
why do you think this has nothing to do with what we were talking about? we are talking about compiled and interpreted languages assuming compiled languages are faster, I explained a situation where this could happen

>C# is no good for scripting, performance-critical, hard (or even soft, really) realtime, close-to-the-metal activities,
>what is sdr#

A joke in 3 letters. A cry for help in C major.

t. mr. i live in 2005

Based OP. I just got done effortlessly migrating our .NET Framework projects over to .NET Core/Standard. Goddamn the performance difference just in terms of nuget restore and compile time is nuts. I also stumbled upon the absolute ass-blasting glory that is a Self-Contained Deployment:

>docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/deploying/

We can emit build artifacts from jenkins now that are in a single flat folder and guaranteed to run on any 64 bit windows pc running 7/2012R2 or greater without a single dependency required other than the OS itself. There is literally zero reason not to use this when bundling software for deployment and microsoft just made it trivial as fuck. Not only do they automagically include all the runtimes you would need, but every time you build it msbuild automatically downloads the latest runtime binaries from microsoft so you have the latest and greatest runtime support without touching any nugets or other config bullshit:

>docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/deploying/runtime-patch-selection

There is literally no other language ecosystem on earth that can come close to what you can achieve with .NET Core/Standard today.

Don't forget to check out VS2019 preview. It's already way fucking faster than VS2017.

It only works good on Windows.

Easy to reverse engineer and win only but otherwise it's pretty good

Where's your Hadoop. Apache Spark, Tensor Flow, big data, machine learning etc. brah?
Oh never mind, your a wage cuck!

How do you mean?

tf is dogshit. Then again, cntk (not even used internally at m$, they have a proprietary hacked-together memory-leaking framework called deeplearn in c#) is miles worse.
portable torch W H E N?

Unfortunately, microcucks jewed themselves out by making it so fucking heavy. I remember that days when I had to install a 350MB runtime just to run a 500kb application over a 100kb/s network
Not to mention that it won't run anywhere besides windows without giving it cancer first