Most enjoyable programming language

Which programming language do you personally find the most enjoyable to use?

Attached: Practical_Language_Comparison.jpg (2100x1400, 1.72M)

Other urls found in this thread:

learnyouahaskell.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kotlin or Scala

Go

Honestly C is thr most gratifying language I write. I equal it to driving a vintage manual transmission Porsche 911.

A PHP stack. Perhaps it's some kind of Stockholm syndrome, but the ability to test things right away and design beautiful UI without any BS makes me very happy.
For this reason, I also really like C# (fast compilation), but its graphical abilities are lacking (WinForms is a piece of shit and WPF is one giant memory black hole).
I would like Node too, but I really don't like dependencies, and wish to work with the fewest amount of external libraries possible (I made my own templating engine for PHP just out of sheer hate for libraries (and eval())). So no Node for me.

i really like microsoft batch files

Racket

Could you further elaborate? I kind of get what you mean, in that there is more satisfaction, but I'd like to know more deeply what you mean.

JavaScript ES2017 or ES6 to the very least. The only programming language where the community matters and influences language development.

C, haskell or F#. Simply, pure language without any OOP bloat and nice ways to work with tree structures. Also love the way C doesn't stop you doing certain things. Plus I despise exceptions, and these languages don't have easy to use exceptions (bar maybe f#)

Javascript

haskell

Haskell, it’s one of the few languages where it always works perfectly on the first try

Haskell, I'd take that unicorn over any of the shelves. That pic is shit though.

What is the best way to learn Haskell as a beginner to programming? And what can one do with Haskell long-term?

undefined

this one definitely goes to prolog

i have no preference really.

Python has strong syntax but the lack of switch statements is a real fucking turn off.

Modern C/C++ is more verbose but very clear, it feels like i'm talking to the machine.

ASM feels like I AM the machine.

Java is something i'm used to. On that topic i haven't really done kotlin but i hear its pretty okay.

Assembly

I really like modern Fortran dialects (Fortran 90/95 and newer). Writing some Fortran code is a kind of guilty pleasure for me.

Pic is just a random search result

Attached: l6TDIzZ.png (611x420, 100K)

Python, it just werks

I really enjoy writing Scheme / Racket.

learnyouahaskell.com/ is the most popular resource I've seen.

Using things you built is more enjoyable than using stuff simply acquired. The feeling is sort of described in “Build your own birdfeeder” by Manul Laphroaig.

This

D and Nim

Not the quoted user, but I guess C is a good balance between being low/mid-level language and being straightforward and understandable. Sort like a vintage manual Porsche 911, it's not barebones as a Model T but it's got no infotainment bullshit like modern cars. It's a good degree of purism.

Is it true that programming is mostly planning?

for anything non-trivial, yes

if/elif does the same thing

>What is the best way to learn Haskell as a beginner to programming?
I'm not sure, I think most books about Haskell are almost as good for beginners as for experienced programmers because of how different Haskell is from a typical programming language. However, the bad thing is that you will eventually need to learn what's hidden under all that abstraction and you'll probably learn it the hard way when your stack explodes or your program gets unbearably slow because it's stacking lots of chunks of deferred computation.
>And what can one do with Haskell long-term?
Pretty much anything. The only limitation is the availability of libraries or your willingness to make them yourself. It's very nice for short programs (like generating a config or converting some shit). It's also very viable for bigger projects but I don't have much experience with that. It is possible to make Haskell very fast (1-2x good C), but first you need to learn how and then you have to actually do it so usually it's just more reasonable to simply write in a lower level language when needed. Btw it has very nice FFI (both ways).

Common Lisp [spoiler]or C++, it just werks[/spoiler]

C, OCAML

Not sure about the both ways thing. I think you need to host the runtime in your program for that.

Yes, but it's still pretty easy to use.

Rust

Visual Basic.Net

J. I've been using it for Project Euler in my spare time, really satisfying to crack one with a one-liner
+/ (#~ [: -. 2&|) (, {: + _2&{)^:({: < 4000000"_)^:_] 0 1

NB. More memory efficient
0 [`([+{:@]$:([:+/*&(1 2))@],([:+/*&(2 3))@])@.({:@]