I want to move away from systemd distros. The more I read about systemd the more I believe it’s a cancer to Linux...

I want to move away from systemd distros. The more I read about systemd the more I believe it’s a cancer to Linux, slowly but surely spreading to more parts of the OS. I’m what you might call an intermediate user. I’ve been using Linux for about 5 years and I’ve currently been on Fedora for awhile. I’ve been trying to research non-systemd distros but it’s all making my head spin. I’m not an advanced user and between my kid and work I don’t have a ton of time to spend fucking around with a totally unfamiliar distro. I want a non-systemd Just Werks(tm) distro.

Can you help me make the right choice? Is Void a good one? I see it uses runit for init, but a lot of others use SysV. How do they differ? What about MX Linux?

Attached: 0509FFB1-3FEA-4CFF-8242-7309DE1AAD22.jpg (590x332, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

artixlinux.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=wMvyOGawNwo
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/List_of_articles_critical_of_systemd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gentoo with openRC

I use void on my laptop. I almost used it it at work but it was missing some packages I needed and I couldn't build from source.
I think they lost an important domain voidlinux.eu - or they're having issues with it, that coupled with the trouble over the lead developer made me decide to stick with mainstream distros at work.
For most jobs it's fine though, and very fast.

Redpill me on systemd.
What is it supposed to do and why is it bad.

Bad cuz no one know what it does. 5.7 million lines of code that (((Google))) sponsored.

Slow and buggy. Causes baffling crashes.

Honestly I don't know. Never had a problem with it.

stop lurking here for information on Linux, nobody here is a developer and they can't tell you shit.
If you lurked more about systemd you would find out it doesn't have any problems, it just has some cocky developer who should be bought out of the project, so eventually there's problems that get fixed by red hat or other maintainers. Yes, it's a bit big, if it doesn't work on the long term it's going to be dropped since red hat is serious business, but in the meantime it's what is being maintained by professional developers, going obscure is just going to take your time but it won't help you on anything.

>I’m what you might call an intermediate user.

Intermediate faggot, you mean.

Attached: morefirepower.jpg (1600x2225, 569K)

>nobody here is a developer
implying that you need a developer to form an opnition about systemd

>based on MacOS launcherd
>provides services on demand
>is becoming the layer between userspace and the kernel, i.e systemspace
systemd folk are understaffed and their releases aren't tested enough.

this. had problems with it in the past, but I haven't experienced any issues in the past year.

You don't unless you want opinion that matters.

>systemd folk are understaffed and their releases aren't tested enough.
this doesn't correlate with the fact that they are implementing an ever expanding micro kernel.
You just got baited into their lies.

There's no such thing as a "systemd distro"

You uninstall systemd and install another service management system.

GuixSD.

gnome-shell depends on systemd

>you dont need to understand it to have an opinion
Kek

Tell me more

Opinions about products are formed though their use not by knowing their internals. I don't give a shit about how the internals of a motor work, if it doesn't even reach 50km its shit. Its very astonishing that you people lack basic perception of reality.

Any distro with supported alternatives works around this. I've had zero issues on Gentoo/Funtoo running openrc

in which case, user wise systemd is very friendly. easy to write init files, and manage them or disable. there are people using Ubuntu that don't even know what it is since it just works.
One literally has to be a systemd developer or auditor to hate systemd in any way, let alone know programming.

Slackware
Devuan
Void

Pick one of those

so does chromium

from then only slackware is reliable but is still a meme. Void is MLP Linux, Devuan and mx Linux have no purpose, just leeching off Debian for retards that don't know how to uninstall systemd and use other init

Slackware

I switched to MX about a month ago. No complaints so far. It just works.

Attached: systemd-legos.png (1290x420, 74K)

That's just straight up wrong

Not that user, but yeah GuixSD is a great distro and a great option for not using systemd IN THEORY, and it solves TONS of problems involving package management, and could truly be considered a "universal package manager".
I emphasize "in theory" though because it's very new and not "ready" yet for normal users.

Also the official repos are free-software only, and by default it only comes with the linux-libre kernel, so most laptop wifi won't work without a special wifi dongle.
All of these things can be modified of course (and I speak from experience, as I've done it), and they support your right to do that. But as I said, it's just how the official repos are set up by default.

Personally I think in a few more years, and if 3rd party non-free repos pop up for it then it'll be good for average users to use. Right now I'd say it's more for advanced users only.

artixlinux.org/
This is pretty good, it's basicaly arch but with openrc or runit. I've been running this on my laptop for a while and have no problems so far. I don't know why this isn't popular since everyone is obsessed with arch here.

>One literally has to be a systemd developer or auditor to hate systemd in any way,

fucking wrong
>be linuxfag
>set up new autism box
>install Debian now with SystemD™
>configuring some VPN stuff
>hmm need to check logs for something
>no fucking logs in /var/log
>nigger what
>time to learn nulogs™ :^)

kill. your.self.

Attached: 002.jpg (900x675, 161K)

Im a Linux newbie and was going to focus on Arch Linux but the systemd cancer as the only option in such a big and important distro tells me its devs doesnt give a fuck anymore...

That being said Im very interested in Artixlinux but what is better openrc or runit?

the right choice is devuan, its debian without systemd.

Attached: 1547691026480.jpg (1298x771, 376K)

Move to bsd

The problems are that it's NOT new at all, it's been a thing for what, a whole decade now? And it's still a buggy piece of shit with still no support for full-disk encryption nor lvm, and only 2 filesystems.

None of the BSDs are viable, and illuminos is even worse for that matters.
At least illuminos has GPU-passthrough virtualization I guess.

i think windows 10 doesn't have systemd and it just werks

watchdog did not stop!

jfc

Imagine playing with operating systems for fun.

You autistic fucks could be contributing something to any of these projects you use, instead of debating shit that doesn't matter.

Keep the spirit of FOSS alive by building your own shit, contributing to the shit others make, and making the domain more stable and rich for everyone.

Or just bitch about systemd, which solves the problems of businesses and sysadmins, instead of catering to the unhelpful hobbyist.

based

>t. retard with way too much free time to play leegoes
get a job, moron.
when you do, you'll finally realize no one gives a flying fuck which and how many "blocks" get the job done.

youtube.com/watch?v=wMvyOGawNwo

2016 tell me if he was right about something, he was.

NixOS has been around that long. I was pretty sure GuixSD was newer than that.
But it doesn't matter anyway. The meaning I intended to convey by calling it new was that it was underdeveloped. It's not ready for everyone yet.

Butthurt lennart is butthurt

>I am not a computer fan, computers are nothing but serious business
lol, opinions discarded
If you honestly laugh at someone talking about computers as a hobby then I have no respect for you.

Also, I'm sure you're all real quality contributing professionals who browse Jow Forums, and not just roleplaying. Give me a break.

Sysadmins are the ones complaining the most about systemd

Pottering should go work on Windows.

It is bad because some people on Jow Forums told me it is bad and when I searched on the internet some twat was writing about it but I couldnt understand a word the fucker wrote. I am just guessing it is bad because a lot of people say it is. Also look at the guy who invented systemd lenny pothead, or sumpthin like that, I mean he's too fucking young to know what the fuck he is doing. At least Richard Stallman is a big fat old cunt and probably has forgotten more than we will ever know. Seriously take my advice, dont use it its shit

>implying typing journalctl -f is harder than tail -f /var/log/messages
Literally babyduck

shut the fuck up retard, here's some arguments against systemd

>implying this produces the same result
>implying accessing logs is just as easy
>implying this is the only inconvenience
>implying
cocksucker

Attached: 005.jpg (1600x1213, 896K)

Attached: lennart.png (640x480, 289K)

>implying it is harder though
Tell me how it's worse.

>lol what your legitimate complaints aren't valid tell me how that's valid :^)
you fucking nigger

>One literally has to be a systemd developer or auditor to hate systemd in any way
still wrong

Attached: 019.jpg (500x375, 34K)

as a system admin, journalctl not only loses logs when something goes bad, it is also completely unreliable for short events/processes. syslog wasn't fucking broken don't "fix" it

Attached: g53.png (300x250, 36K)

>when I searched on the internet some twat was writing about it but I couldnt understand a word the fucker wrote
See, that's you. You post that link every time because you didn't even understand what the fuck are they talking about, yet hope it will work as an argument. Instead you're just outing yourself as a clueless retard.

i replied this link: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

to these comments
>It is bad because some people on Jow Forums told me it is bad
>I couldnt understand a word the fucker wrote
>I am just guessing it is bad because a lot of people say it is

I'm not trying to win any argument I'm just giving this guy information because it sounded like he didn't have any good idea WHY people don't like systemd

If your hobby doesn't make you any money, it's as worthless as your respect.

Attached: 011.jpg (628x534, 67K)

Noted.
Your mom will die in her sleep, and you'll have to find a job.

I still dont understand. The link contains stuff that no sane persopn could understand. You would have to be a genius like Terry Davis to understand it. That's why I think systemd was written by the CIA as lenny pothead glows in the dark

its written by sysadmins, people that actually use their distros for actual software that will make them money.

What about Artix?

I wonder that too. It works just fine for me as well.

Personally I prefer runit.

>reddit spacing

So..
Money > Doing what you love?

Is that what I'm hearing right now? Please say yes

>the link contains stuff that no sane persopn could understand.
you're being flippant and unreasonable, trolling

>You would have to be a genius like Terry Davis to understand it.
1800-oh-come-on-now

Attached: 002.png (282x179, 4K)

This or Void, if you prefer binary packages.

yet you're using chromium

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/List_of_articles_critical_of_systemd

So far you posted one minor reason why it sucks. You said that's definitely not the only flaw. However, you didn't mention any other flaw.

your comment makes no sense at all, are you running Devuan by chance?

>an init system is impossible to understand without being a developer

why the fuck do you all think you need to make a blog about why you want to hop on the anti-systemd-train? just switch to another distro! be happy! nobody cares!

A stop job is running for Session c2 of user ...

runit by a landslide. Far faster and is smaller overall. That's not to say OpenRC isn't bad though; it isn't

I guess I'll take this opportunity to shill CloverOS as ez Gentoo for retards.

Attached: 2019-02-02-193310_3840x1080_scrot.png (3840x1080, 2.09M)

I don't know how you can take a DE as beautiful as plasma and make it look so terrible.
It's like the type of bad taste I'd expect to see if 2010 forums signatures.

>What about MX Linux?

You named it.

>What is it supposed to do and why is it bad.
systemd was meant to be a daemon manager for GNU/Linux which would do a better job than the old init system. And there is a very real need for that. It can also start and stop daemons using timers and events.

Valid criticisms of systemd include that iit's poorly written, buggy and it does too much. Something supposed to handle system daemons doesn't actually need to handle logging, dhcp and all the other things systemd encompasses these days. From a ecosystem perspective it's closely tied to the Linux kernel which means you can't just port it to BSD.

systemd does fill a real need for a more advanced init system and there's no alternative. sysvinit will start some things at boot and consider it's job done. It doesn't care if something would need to be started later (refer to cron), doesn't care if a boot service dies and so on.

Attached: systemd-dhcpv6-client.jpg (3456x2304, 2.54M)

By being retarded. I generally make my laptops look nicer than my desktop, since I do carry those around.

Attached: IMG_20190203_214156.jpg (1080x1013, 319K)

You haven’t yet noticed that shills launch two threads about a topic at once all the time yet? One always has a positive comment, one negative.

Nagle and Straghini are here.

Attached: 41698369-6514-4F54-A63B-8E37115D781F.png (646x626, 810K)