/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: friens.jpg (800x800, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

humblebundle.com/books/programming-cookbooks
youtube.com/watch?v=WKcCkzVufx4
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=UnTQVlqmDQ0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

based gayposter

he's doing good work. Sick of seeing hentai bs in all the thread pics.

>sick of seeing hentai bs
>so let's have gay hentai instead

if i make a backup of my custom rom phone using twrp and i get a new one of the same model, could i just flash twrp and restore it without having to reinstall the rom?

how can i make the fans run on a macbook running in single user mode? i tried a fork bomb but it didn't even slow down the computer, just ran for ten seconds and exited
i need the computer to do some kind of work warranting the fans to run

Attached: h.png (419x700, 319K)

you should, but be aware that "the same model" need not be the exact same, there are usually "submodels" such as which country it's supposed to be used in (4g,wifi bands) and hardware revisions

How is HDR any different than just turning up the saturation/brightness on the TV

Its a step in the right direction. And these arent nearly as sexualized.

How do I disable this search dropdown thingie that was introduced in FF 65?

Attached: Firefox_65_search.png (2552x418, 65K)

after wipe partitioning my hdd, do i need to do something else if i want to install an OS on it?

How is 4k any different than just turning up the sharpness on 1080p?

You have increased range of brightness to allow for many more states, and over a billion colors instead of 16 mil, to reduce banding and look more shwifty. There's definitely more information there to process, but you actually need a screen that does shit with it, and light localization that doesn't suck ass. There's a lot of cheap, shit implementations. They should have made HDR 600 cert the legal minimum to call something HDR.

>wipe partitioning
Those are two different words, neither of which have to happen before starting installation.

yeah man keep up the cuteboys!

if you removed all partitions, you need to make a new one.
there is an MBR maybe. the os installer will or will not overwrite this one. depending on your new os

just wondering, because all the hdd does when prioritized in the boot device is give me "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible". i have the hdd on an external case, so how could i fix it?

Has anyone else experimented problems with NewPipe? A lot of videos don't load at resolutions that aren't 360p or 720p.

(You)

Attached: 1519228604285.jpg (800x1100, 117K)

Technology to become QT, twink, bottom bf if you're 6'6", 245lbs, with super broad shoulders and overall manly?

Asking for a friend

Make sure usb booting is enabled and the external drive is set as first in the boot order, or put grub on your internal drive.

This worth it?
humblebundle.com/books/programming-cookbooks
Or can I get it for free from somewhere?

You can do an all in one solution by picking up the Electron Framework. It's a cross-platform solution, much like Qt, that allows you to build applications using JavaScript. Since you want to be a Twink Bottom I'd recommend you focus more on the back-end development using NodeJS with CoffeeScript or some other gay alternative to Javascript to get that bottom bitch aesthetic.

The only caveat is that you'll still have broad shoulders because Electron is fucking bloated and will yield a bloated piece of software.

Good luck.

That's the problem. All those work around and I'll never be truly Twink boi. Compared to wide bottomed, narrow shouldered, C/Assembly twink Chad, I'll always be shit.

Windows MinGW:
if I create a symlink to gcc and execute the symlink, it fails to start with error 0xc000007b
but if I create a normal .lnk "shortcut", it works just fine
what's the deal with this?
is there a way around this?

I have both the 32bit and 64bit versions of mingw installed, and I want to have a gcc32 symlink in my PATH so i can run the 32 bit version of gcc

adding on to this: symlinks to the 64bit version of gcc work just fine

How "strict" are TV panels when it comes to replacement parts? Could I put a "37S4010" panel into a "37S400" TV? The TVs look identical and they're the same size.

Try asking in /diy/.

Every situation is going to be different. Usually it won't be worth it. Most modern electronics aren't designed for repair.

>Wanting to be the twink boy
>Not becoming the Chad who dominates the twink
Never gonna make it
I wish I had pictures of gay bearmode men saved

Attached: 1530103173371-2.jpg (910x896, 376K)

Thanks, I'll try that

I guess, but these are 10 year old and look pretty straightforward, like I could do it with no specific TV repair experience, and failing that, I know a guy who is pretty much a TV necromancer, I doubt he'd have trouble replacing it, my only gripe is finding out if they're compatible before buying the replacement

I just want to be held really. Being the big, broad, manly one leaves me usually being the one doing the holding. If I could be born again as a QT 5'8" twink I would in a heartbeat.

Is it really worth repairing a 10 year old TV when there's good and cheap stuff available now? I could see replacing the panel on an old laptop or phone or something, but is there really anything special about a 10 year old 27" TV?

No, but if all that's wrong with the old TV is like $8 worth of caps, it's not a lot more work to repair than unbox and install a new one, and probably more satisfying for a lot of people.

I just got a Samsung J3 Achieve from Boost Mobile. I want to know about rooting it and lineage os? Is that something I could install on this phone?

Make a multithreaded a prime number calc that just does infinite calculations on all cores

look up the device page on XDA.

pls respond

There's a bunch of different quick charge standards, but do the chargers have to be built for those standards, or does the phone just check if it can draw the correct wattage from the charger?

It's not a money thing, I just really like this one, it has thick comfy bezels and great speakers. there's nothing about it I'd upgrade

I've been using youtube-dl with a 1-Mb/s download limit, in order to avoid triggering YouTube/Twitch and getting warned/IP-banned. Am I being too conservative?

Oh sure, if it was just replacing a cap. But he's talking about a panel replacement which has got to be way more difficult.

I kind of get what you mean, but trust me finding some good separate speakers that will last basically forever compared to a monitor is probably a lot easier.

1. Make sure your OS is up to date with the meltdown patch.
2. Run slack
3. Run discord
4. Run a large Google Docs spreadsheet
At some point it should start spinning like crazy.
Maybe your forkbomb was poor? A naive bash forkbomb is a lot more effective than a naive C forkbomb because the individual processes are heavier and take up more time, fouling up the OS' effort to recover. A forkbomb is generally for crashing the system rather than stressing it though.

Thank you very much!

>Maybe your forkbomb was poor? A naive bash forkbomb is a lot more effective than a naive C forkbomb because the individual processes are heavier and take up more time, fouling up the OS' effort to recover. A forkbomb is generally for crashing the system rather than stressing it though.
single-user mode, which is the only mode i have access to, is a root shell. i cannot run graphical programs. this thing is the equivalent of a floppy disk with a boot sector, bash, and the chkdsk binary.
i ran a classic a:(a|a &);a bash fork bomb. the process tree was exhausted after less than a second, and after four second the whole tree was terminated and i was back in bash as if nothing had happened

Attached: 4644cf48-95b0-409b-bab4-0cfd7eb589dc.jpg (1280x960, 214K)

ah well probably not bash since this is osx. i have had the computer for less than 48 hours. what's osx's default shell?

Can someone get your IP in a irc with cloak like Rizon? and using Rizon's bouncer?

Huh, maybe OSX actually has decent protection against fork bombs? Try something like:
find / -exec wc {} \;

Or better yet:
find / -type d -exec sh -c 'find {} -type d -print0 | xargs -0 wc &' \;

Fuck I screwed that up
find / -type d -exec sh -c 'find {} -type f -print0 | xargs -0 wc &' \;

That's not a thing, at least on youtube. Loads of people use it, I've never heard of anyone getting banned.

Anyone can help me with PAC? I'm trying to route connections for certain domains through Tor but it's not working. I have this file at /etc/proxy.pac and it's set as "Automatic proxy configuration URL" in Firefox. Domain obviously chosen for testing purposes, but it gives my real IP instead of routing traffic through Tor (and yes Tor is listening on 127.0.0.1:9050).
function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{

// If the hostname matches, send direct.
if (dnsDomainIs(host, "whatismyipaddress.com") ||
shExpMatch(host, "(*.whatismyipaddress.com|whatismyipaddress.com)"))
return "127.0.0.1:9050";

}

whats the easiest way to make a dvd with mp4 files?
I havent used a dvd player in a decade and am having the damnedest time trying to figure this stupid shit out.

Attached: face12.jpg (720x358, 34K)

do i have to use wsus offline multiple times to install every update?

I post a youtube link and it automatically embeds, how does Jow Forums do this?
example:
youtube.com/watch?v=WKcCkzVufx4

No, you shouldn't have to.

Found these puppies for 106 euros, I'm buying all three sets because of the insane deal that it is.

Can I use two of the sets I'm buying as quad channel memory in a quad channel board? I can't seem to get a straight answer since people confuse the question with using dimms of different make.

Recap, 3 sets of 2 dimms, I'm thinking of using two of them (4 dimms) as quad channel memory even though they are sold as quad channel. Will it work?

Attached: crucial_bls2k16g4d26bfse_32gb_kit_16gbx2_ddr4_1317498.jpg (1500x1500, 241K)

Networking question:

I want to rice my home network and put myself on a separate VLAN from other machines. That way if something malicious enters my network it doesn't propagate to my machine and vice versa.

So to do this, to my understanding, I would need a managed switch. I would set up my network like this:
Switchport 1 - VLAN X which my PC is plugged into
Switchports 2 through 8 - VLAN Y, the Wifi AP would also be attached to one of these ports

Devices and AP would be plugged into the switch. But how would I connect (consumer router)? Just make one of the ports not assigned to a VLAN and plug it in there, I'm pretty sure I don't need to worry about trunking since communication will all be done through the internet and not the LAN.

Am I on the right track, is this a dumb idea, etc.

(even if it doesn't I'm making profit out of them, I'd just like to use them)

Why the fuck are phones nowadays so susceptable to screen burn in? Been using my LG G6 for a little over a year now and my notification bar is becoming visible on my home screen. My gf has had screen burn on her last 2 phones, and this is my first time experiencing it. Other people I have talked to have had similar experiences. Is it a difference in manufacturing? Are companies not doing enough qc? What gives?

My Galaxy S7 notification bar is also burned in. And I've never turned the brightness up more than 60% since I've owned it.

you need something like nero burning rom dvd writer 4

that's a javascript running client side finding domains and converting them if it gets a match to a domain it knows.

we know it's not server side since we're on Jow Forums

Putting a 120GB SSD into my laptop for my root partition. (/home and whatever else will be on the SATA drive that's also in it.) Does it make a difference if I use the entire SSD for the root partition, instead of allocating 15-20GB of the drive for root and leaving the rest of it untouched?

Jow Forums here, How long would it take me to become a basic bitch front-end web developer
I am starting with HTML
Then CSS, Flexbox, CSS Grid, Variables, Browser Dev Tools
Then Responsive Layouts
Then Sass, Then of course vanilla Java

With ass loads of free time in front of me for I'd say 6-8 months and even longer and the ability to study maybe three hours a day and up to 7 hours on weekends and still actually have free time to spare how long of a time would this take? To learn all the things I posted? I am basically going off of:
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

Attached: 1547046320064.jpg (2048x1365, 647K)

Probably a shit thread for this, but why can I start my VirtualBox when I run it headless, but when i try to start it normally it doesn't launch?

Running Windows 7 and trying to Vbox Arch.

Don't fall for the frontend/backend horseshit. If someone knows one, and they're not a total dult, they can easily do the other.
Don't be too procedural with your learning either. Learn HTML, Javascript and CSS. The other shit is wrappers on-top to compensate for their native shortcoming and make code cleaner.
Think of something you'd like to build - and then just start doing it, learning as you go along.
My recommendation is to learn the new paradigm of separating frontend and backend. E.g.
>api.yoursite.com (backend - API)
>www.yoursite.com (frontend - SPA)
My 2c: ExpressJS for Backend and Vue (check out Quasar) for front-end.

Wonder what the deal is. Makes me hesitant to get a new phone if I should just swap the screen on an old one since it would effectively be the same thing. Either that or Ill be buying 2yo phones with limited reports if burn in from now on.

Why does my 1440p monitor have an option for 2160p?

Pick your containment board, pedo faggot.

nothing gay about cute boys

>Have 2x2TB drives in RAID 1 Mirror in my server. (1 Brand new Seagate and a single older HGST)
>Have 2x1TB drive in RAID 0 striped in my main machine for work space
>Moving data over the network from main machine to server sees an average transfer rate of 89MB/s with peaks up to 112MB/s

I have 3 other arrays in my server and they all peak/maintain 113MB/s i.e. full saturate my gigabit network with zero issue. Is this just the result of using 2 different brand drives in an array?

>friens.jpg

Stop projecting.

So it can accept a UHD input. A lot of shit doesn't support 1440p, and there's a lot more 4k content than 1440p, so letting the monitor downconvert it is a great way to get quality picture. Although if your device supports a proper 1440p output, like a PC or the Xbone, that's better.

pick your board nigger

what does it mean if a monitor causes instant eye strain

You're sitting in too dark of a room and/or the brightness of the monitor is eye fucking you. Really shit panels can cause eye ache/head aches. I personally cannot use any monitor that's 768p if it's larger than 11.6" without getting a severe headache.

It means you're either a faggot or you have cancer.

If a surge protector has a switch (on = green light), do you switch it off before unplugging things from it, after unplugging things, or after unplugging the surge protector?

whats something fun that you can do with a spare PSU
>inb4 burning your house

It literally and objectively does not matter even the tiniest bit.

kill yourself

You could check if your model uses PWM flicker. Sometimes they use that to turn down brightness or speed up response time.

Don't fuck with that shit. Senior devil here is unironically right.

why the fuck wont my ps4 controller pair with my bluetooth device
thing can't detect the controller at all

jk i got it

The chinamen accidentally sent me two chair mats. One is transparent, thicker, and smoother. The other is translucent, thinner, and has a more textured surface. Which would you use if it was your decision?

not today satan

k I'll just leave to gather dust then

Anyone got that picture that of the anime characters looking at the computer and they say that anime is related to programming?

Attached: 1504217734355.png (785x652, 155K)

I have 1 cat5e line running from the switch to my room. I cannot run any additional line.

I need a landline phone in my room for business purposes.

will pic related work for 100mbps ethernet and pot over same line?

Attached: will this work.png (1152x648, 33K)

Your picture makes no damn sense. The hell is a pot, how are the pot/phone connected to anything else, and is your modem also a router?

I finally fixed (sort off) my notebook's problem.
So, after months and months of having this thing where it would turn off magically when I plugged in for charge, I decided to do check the last resort - the fucking youtube tutorials.
This one told me to boot on in safe mode (which was the mode I was using regularly since it was the only way to use it while charging somehow), then disable the processor drivers in device manager. And so I did.
Rebooted and now the thing doesn't turn off anymore while operating with no problems at all.

The stupid question is: Why the fuck was my processor driver making the notebook turn off when plugged in? This shit makes no sense.

Bc ur gay lul

That telephone jack in the top left... It needs to go to my room... The only wire going to my room is one of those cat5e's plugged into that netgear switch near the top left. I can't run any additional wires.

Attached: received_295007601216724.jpg (2016x1512, 200K)

Hey user, use to libgen.io for all your free book needs

Yes, just get a pair of those RJ45 to RJ11 + RJ45 adapters.

Thank you.

I've got an iMac with the most recent version of Mac OS whatever. I got a cheapie bluetooth keyboard and I can't connect it. It works on Windows and Linux where it asks for a PIN to be entered, but it doesn't do that on Mac. Is there a way to get it connect?

Congratulations. You've somehow managed to introduce new information without answering any of my questions or clarifying anything.

Doesn't matter as long as there's no load on it. If you have like a 10A+ draw hooked up, disconnecting it using an external switch or the wall plug is going to cause some extra wear, but you'd have to do it all the time to notice any ill effects.

Why the fuck can Windows Movies and TV not play .webms and what can I do about it? It shows like the first frame and then ends.

>lewd .webm for attention

Attached: 1062188-320p_7486.webm (480x360, 2.77M)

POT == Plain ol' telephone. Usually POTS for Plain ol' Telephone System. Landline.