FIxing this overheating crap

Short story: I was given a 2017 MBA last christmas.
>inb4 give it back jamal
Now I understand why Jow Forums bashes apple laptops so much, they overheat without any serious load. My 2012 thinkpad was better.
(well, almost any windows laptop is better in this aspect)

Since I give a shit about warranty (no apple stores where I live, just premium resellers that are AASPs too) I was thinking in fixing the problem by myself.

Should I clean and repaste this laptop to make it cooler?
(ambient was 30C, only firefox was running)
>inb4 sjwfox

Attached: overheating_pos.png (512x874, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=macbook custom fan curve
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>ambient was 30C
lmao that's nothing

The optimal ambient temperature for MBP is -15C, otherwise you'll get throttled.

I do not believe you can fix this without applying custom fan curve. Apple decided that machines can get very hot just to be silent. Even if you apply liqud metal you won't notice significant difference because of retarded fan curve.

google.com/search?q=macbook custom fan curve
Without this, improving cooling will just make your Macbook quiter but CPU will not be much colder, basically.

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1537344152475.gif (540x540, 279K)

So, basically macs have a flawed thermal design.

Give it back, Tyrone.

Drill holes
Replace thermal paste to better stuff (cheap won't work)
Remove OS X

Attached: WP_000339.jpg (2592x1944, 790K)

And yeah 50°C in idle is OK for laptops. 90-100°C is not good

thinkpads like OP's use to idle at 43°C

Maybe, but other chink laptop idle at 45-50°C, and Mac at 60°C

>they overheat without any serious load.
I've owned 3 MBPs and have never once experienced overheating or throttling issues. My current MBP is a 2015 15" 2.8ghz/4ghz turbo quad core that hauls ass and is competitive with my 4ghz Hackintosh desktop.

That said...
* Apple's fan curves suck, so I use smcFanControl.
* Wood is an insulator so my MBP sits on an aluminum stand and not on my desk.
* Under continuous heavy load the fans will spin up. Duh. Same with the CPU/GPU fans in my desktop.
* Some MBPs have a shitty thermal paste job. If you're idling at 60C, for example, you probably have this issue. Apple's not the only one with this problem and I have no idea why the fuck major manufacturers can't into thermal paste. (I cut 10C off an old, black MacBook I restored just be changing the thermal paste and doing it right.)

30C at idle is nothing. Every laptop I've owned in the last two decades, Mac or PC, has idled higher than that. Intel mobile processors generally have a thermal cut off of 100C which means they can run continuously and safely under load at 95C with fans at max.

Just sell it while it still has most of its resale value and save it or get something better.

Attached: 1522166291782.png (1343x751, 1.72M)

Last decent Macbook Pro was the 2015 Macbook. Everything after that became the ultraslim coked out runway model crap.
Why even stick a 4 core i7 into a laptop when the cooling solution will never allow it to operate at stock speeds?

There can't be a last if there was never a first.

Attached: 1536241019277.png (636x727, 137K)

>star of davids on her leggings

pedophiles should be shot

based

If that's your screenshot, 56c is not "overheating".
The CPU in that machine can get to 100c before thermal throttling kicks in.

>>ambient was 30C

This is your problem.
Macbooks are designed to run optimally in ambient temperatures of less than 35c, and since you're only a few degrees away from that, it has to work extra hard to keep itself cool.
That said, your computer is far from "overheating".

56C while idling is already a major red flag.

My 2018 Macbook Pro 15" idles quite normally close to 50c on the die.

It's shit like this that Apple removed the battery life estimation figures, people whined when it was estimating less time than they thought it should, so they took it out and now nobody complains about battery life.

OP is just an idiot with too much information.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 12.14.54 pm.jpg (716x1522, 126K)

>>Windows

I found the problem there.

A red flag for what?
The guy is using the computer in a hot room, of course the computer is going to be warm.

That CPU temp can get to 100c, double what he's seeing, before there's any problem.

>using furmark to test laptop gpu
Spotted the asburgers retard. I can tell your for a fact that my 2015 2.8 ran 2.8 ghz at full Prime 95 load using OSX.

Scrubs

Attached: 20190202_232234.jpg (4032x3024, 2.68M)

>The CPU in that machine can get to 100c before thermal throttling kicks in.
I'd say around 90c it will start throttle down.
>>ambient was 30C
Just fucking no. Laptop should work fine in all temperatures human can tolerate. So up to +40°C it should be able to cool the shit.
Actually, it is not. I see no problem in CPU running 50-60°C at low load. It allows MacBooks to be insanely quiet during shitposting.
Real problem is that at high load shit is +95°C hot, fan doesn't kick in for a good minute, since SMC relies on external sensor (hello AMD Socket A boards).
Imagine your car. It doesn't want to keep engine as cool as possible (due to thermal tolerances and shit), and it will maintain 90-ish °C, no matter how hard you push it. Except in laptop you want it to be quiet and consume as less energy as possible (yeah, fan is not free).
I figured two major problems with Apple design: no vents, so airflow is restricted, and insufficient heat sink, which barely keeps up with tiny 4260u (in my case) CPU.
If CPU heatsink had 5-10 more fins, and 3 mm thicker heat pipe, it would not require high quality heatsink compound, like AS5.

Attached: 20190126_032118.jpg (2560x1536, 987K)

>My 2018 Macbook Pro 15" idles quite normally close to 50c on the die.
I see no problems there, actually.
In fact, it is a good design, which saves battery shekels.

OP, don't worry about CPU temp at idle, worry about CPU temp at 100% load. Also, try some fan speed software.

Attached: 20190203_013022.jpg (2560x1536, 1.12M)

>Just fucking no. Laptop should work fine in all temperatures human can tolerate. So up to +40°C it should be able to cool the shit.

It's not a Toughbook, it's a Macbook Air.

Apple's tech specs list the operating temperatures between 10c and 35c.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 12.32.06 pm.jpg (1678x730, 131K)

>macshit
Found your problem.

50c on the die is fine.
The case temp is currently around 30c so even on my lap it's pretty comfortable.

Yeah, I'm on a T420 with month old thermal paste. 46C with only firefox open.

Attached: Screenshot_20190202_213711.png (1366x768, 926K)

Nope. Cooling system must keep up with heat produced by all systems. Otherwise it is like putting down house fire with a piss
Well, than it should work fine and don't throttle at 35°C, not 40°C.
I just didn't know specs of this.
Pretty much.
Anyway, checking idle temp is wrong, it is better to measure full-retard temp

Attached: 20190203_013448.jpg (2560x1536, 1.15M)

>2017 MBA
there's literally no such product
> repaste
that will happen, but you won't gain those amazing temps like many youtube videos show

w-why were you looking that closely at her leggings user

Attached: 1523672153536.png (416x416, 208K)

>modern macbooks are more of a status symbol than they are for actual every day use.

whats your upper temp limit?

Based

>there's literally no such product

It's the last model of the previous generation Macbook Air.
It was refreshed in Mid 2017 with faster Broadwell processors.

>It allows MacBooks to be insanely quiet during shitposting.
It's designed so that the macbooks will fail prematurely. Quietness is just a lousy argument to deal with antitrust.

Just like (((Samsung))) does with power supply capacitors.

>Just like (((Samsung))) does with power supply capacitors.
Good niggers, I get good money just by replacing noname caps in Samsung monitors.
>It's designed so that the macbooks will fail prematurely. Quietness is just a lousy argument to deal with antitrust.
50°C isn't that critical I think. I don't know cases, where CPU died due to this.
Also, slow spinning fan reduces power consumption significantly, which is critical for laptop. Fan in MBA can take 5W easily, literally 1/3 of CPU power.
What is absolutely wrong, is that fan never spins up full retard at full load with stock curve. +85°C would cause problems over time.
Idk, it should ideally use some sort of PID, in order to maintain 40-60°C on die all the time.

Anyway, fuck Apple, I use their laptop for 4-ish years now, and they didn't planned that for sure.

Attached: 20190203_020247.jpg (2560x1536, 1.23M)

>Fan in MBA can take 5W easily
are you retarded?

>Nope. Cooling system must keep up with heat produced by all systems. Otherwise it is like putting down house fire with a piss
You are correct there. I am forever frustrated by my 2017 MBP with a 3.1 unable to maintain that 3.1 when I'm running my multithreaded codes or God forbid, using running deep learning stuff.

I meant 2.5W. Anyway, fans do consume surprising amount of power.

apply better thermal paste and use smcfancontroller to up the fan

Attached: ixb 47a4f2b54a45a58369770d03c1424976.jpg (638x900, 493K)

OK, I'm wrong again, it is in fact 1.5W.

Anyway, still to much powah

Fine, I'm wrong for the last time, it's actually 0.75W.

Still considerable.

No, it has 1.5W written on it, fag.

Attached: 3484389.jpg (650x473, 60K)

> relies on intel's garbage tool
Jow Forumsenius
> (ambient was 30C, only firefox was running)
there's more than firefox running.. unless macs are so shit these days that just running firefox leads to such spikes in power and cpu use?
> 56c
> at idle
> not "overheating".
apple drones are so used to garbage computers that they've lowered their standard to such lows where they forgive apple for building such garbage machines with the worst cooling imaginable. my fucking sides. the ultimate NPCs.

Attached: 1521159288288.jpg (858x721, 130K)

> fans do consume surprising amount of power.
build shit computers with worst cooling imaginable and yeah, fans are going to work harder and use their maximum amount of power they can use.

Reality is that it won't sping full retard automatically, you have to set max rpm manually, which is kinda weird.
Anyway, Acer laptop with 35W ! AMD furnace had only 80°C at full load, with shitty thermal grease.
Apple laptop with tiny 15W CPU has fucking 95°C at full load, since engineers are retards. Fuck apple.

I even think that both laptops were made on same factory, since both of them have foxconn stuff and shit.

95C

>Apple laptop with tiny 15W CPU has fucking 95°C at full load

Intel says this is absolutely fine. Why over-engineer it?

Intel doesn't seem to understand TPD either.
Their P4 3.6 GHz furnaces were throttling with stock heatsink.

>Their P4 3.6 GHz furnaces were throttling with stock heatsink.

Using Netburst as an example shows how weak your argument is.

>Why over-engineer it?
You can't call it over-engineering if you're trying to hold the processors max clocks.
It's not that they don't understand, they're huge fags who want to cheat you. What he said is true for just about every desktop solution. Their TDP is "correct" if you want to be within an inch of throttling temps on the better half of their chips.

All I know is, my 2018 Macbook Pro with an Intel Core i7 Coffee Lake 8850H at 2.6Ghz base clock encodes h265 video with Handbrake just as fast as my one day old liquid cooled Intel Core i5 9600K at 3.7Ghz base clock.

The laptop hovers around 80c and the PC around 45c, but the performance clearly doesn't suffer being a little warmer.

enjoy your flexgate.

1) You're full of shit, no way any laptop processor is "competitive" with a desktop.
2) OP said "ambient" is 30C. Since you don't understand what that means im guessing youre underaged.

>mfw ordinary 30C ambient is "too hot" for applel
>"you're using the device wrong, it's meant to remain powered down during the summer months"

Based

>I've owned 3 MBPs and have never once experienced overheating or throttling issues.
>>>>>* Apple's fan curves suck, so I use smcFanControl.