What in the fuck is this sorcery???

Attached: ssd.png (624x413, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Silicon-Power-240GB-Internal-SP240GBSS3S55S25AE/dp/B01M61OWRI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

$99/1TB soon friend.
>$99/3TB sooner than you'd think

MicroCenter's in-store brand for 480GB is $50
Not using shitty QLC either (TLC is fine)

>ebay

Attached: ce92f431.jpg (1920x1080, 140K)

Makes me optimistic that the next gen consoles will have SSDs. Though they pretty much need to to at this point.

you can go even cheaper with Apacer or Team group crap

$100 1 TB SSD are close to standard now.

enjoy being able to rewrite a sector 10 times max

I used a 120 gig SSD for my OS drive from 2013 until I replaced it this year with a 250 gig. It had no issues. When does the rewrite thing become an issue?

i encode my bdmv on my 500gb ssd.
have copied and deleted a lot of terabytes.
huehuehue.

my sandisk ssd plus 120gb died in 18 months.
the controller died rather than the nand.
got a new one from warranty.

the 2013 ssd is probably SLC or MLC. The Terabyte class SSDs that go for $100 today are QLC which have abysmal rewrite counts

Redpill me on the differences. I don't keep up with storage technology.

>What in the fuck is this sorcery???
chinese productions crashing the market

Apart from open world/MMOs, what games benefit from ssd disks speeds?

Any game that involves load screens...so all of them. Did I enjoy having to wait 45 seconds in between teleports in bloodborne? No I did not.

QLC you stupid retard, literally 100x worse than yours

With no survivors?

>Any game that involves load screens...so all of them.
I literally haven't seen a load screen in like 15 years. Get real.

top kek at this cope
you're either poorfag or a retard, or both.

Based sour grapes FUD-spreading retard.

Its actually true however that newer SSDs will have shitter write cycles due to them being TLC . TLC have 5% of write cycles as the older SLC. SLC > MLC > TLC if you're looking for SSDs that last long. However the trade off is lower capacity and more expensive.

>Apart from open world
So, every AAA game released in the past 5 years?

they have a write limit.
but it's not 10x like that retard (you) said.

You don't, there are retards in here who don't know what they are talking about, modern drives are 200% under allocated. Essentially if you buy a 500GB SSD TLC/QLC drive you have another 500GB minimum depending on manufacturer for reallocation of cells that died.

Just look at the "total bytes written" amount dude. For the Samsung 860 QVO 1TB it is 360TB, which is not stellar. But the worst thing about QLC is the performance drop after the SLC cache runs out.

After writing about 10 to 15 GB depending on the model the speed will drop to 100MB/s, this fucking slower than a cheap HDD from Toshiba that can reach 240MB/s of sustained writing.

If you are copying large amount of files the HDD will be quicker, this is fucking retarded.

QLC is fucking trash and should be avoided.

Its 5000 for TLC, 100K for SLC if you wanna be specific.

It's simple really
SLC > MLC > TLC > QLC

Single layer cell
"Multi" layer cell
Triple later cell
Quad layer cell

Everytime they go up a level you get more storage and the device lifespan is shorter. It's a way for manufacturers to cheap out on storage.

Hopefully SSDs will be replaced by something better soon or failed drives will become a common thing.

This the new SSDs are complete trash. And I can't find SLC drives but whatever.

You can find 512GB SSDs for less than $50.

Why don't they just completely fix it so that SSDs last like HDDs?

Attached: Frustration.webm (1280x720, 1.71M)

SSD's already last longer than HDD's.

>If powered on for a while
>has high chance of bit rot

SSD's for backup is a meme, the device may last longer but what good is a backup when half of the data is gone.

>forced animation

Attached: dd0.png (500x843, 517K)

because the physics is different retard, whenever u write to a ssd nand flash cell, u slowly degrade it. theres no way to solve except by not using nand flash.

Or you can make nand flash that doesn't degrade when written to. It's actually not impossible if we put our minds to it.

Attached: 1536655342668.gif (500x573, 442K)

>2019 and there's still some retarded cunt FUDing an SSD on a technology board

Is this place a massive joke or something?

That's actually high for a middle class SATA SSD.
You can get a 500GB MX500 for 49 yuro here, straight from the counter.

Attached: 1543227025179.jpg (750x748, 728K)

>sandisk

Yes.

Attached: dd0_edit.png (500x1124, 599K)

360TB is still a lot. I only have about 12TiB total writes on my SSD after 2 years.
Most of the time HDDs will not sustain their full write speed either and even go below 100MB/s depending on file size (10TB HGST to 10TB seagate exos drive).
TLC is probably the best tradeoff for consumer usage while QLC should be far cheaper than TLC to even be competitive which it isn't.

>sustained
No.

QLC is good for home desktop use for average consumer, which means running it as an OS drive, applications and games.

Attached: 1.jpg (805x282, 57K)

>why not just make bad thing good

Think about how much money you could make if you made an SSD hat doesn't degrade. It can't be that hard.

Samsung's pricing has gone up on Aus the last few weeks. 860 1TB and 970 500gb up 25%

Probably because they have no competition. Who else can we go to for decent SSDs?

Attached: 1537923772847.jpg (700x462, 91K)

maybe he sees it as a tips screen instead

*sends you a 120GB SSD with the firmware flashed to say 500GB*

Attached: 1511790905396.gif (450x450, 776K)

No one cares about baby country pricing. Become a relevant market first.

Pretty expensive considering that hdd can be easily had for $20/TB and a bit less easily had for as low as $10/TB

Battlefield 2, first one to finish loading gets the jet/tank first

>SLC = 100K cycles
>MLC = 10K cycles
>TLC = 3K cycles
>QLC = 1K cycles
I want them to go beyond this
something cheap and large with 250-150 cycles
if they're priced right, they could compete with LTO in 'write-once-read-many' situations with the advantage of being constantly and readily accessed without wear
you could probably even homebrew small PSUs to draw powers from the mains to prevent bit flips in offline drives
gooks please

Attached: SLC MLC TLC QLC.png (1370x723, 122K)

That isn't even a good deal, they were on sale at amazon for 50 last week.

Yeah except LTO lasts 50 years without power. NAND may lose your data after a year of no power.

that's why you would keep it online or powered offline with a small power supply

>I just paid $177 for the 1tb version

Attached: index.jpg (230x219, 6K)

i'm pretty sure you can put an ssd in a ps4, it's just a 2.5 inch bracket.

Path of Exile is notorious for benefitting from a SSD

redpill me on TLC and QLC drives Jow Forums, what's wrong with them?

last i checked all games do, and those RAM slot SSD's (dont kill me) only decrease loading times by about another second from regular SSD's so i feel no need to get one

Never. There's no scenario your nand writes will die before your controller

All games preload assets ahead of use.
Loading screens are not affected by ssds more than 5% in loading times.
There's only one case where you can have faster loading speeds and it's a cold start at the game.
Rust is one of those games that needs to load several GB off the disk at cold start, but every internal loading screen is barely using the disk.

Man I remember first time I put windows on an ssd. Felt like using the pc anew, totally different experience due to responsiveness.

When I got my first SSD I put "The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" on it and entering/exiting towns became near instant vs. taking several seconds on the hard drive.

So how long will a QLC drive last on average use? (Just installing OS and games on it).

Pretty sure my £175 1TB 970 EVO purchase will still be a good decision in 6 months' time. None of this QNAD rubbish.

That is not very environmentally friendly. Don't you want to save the planet user?

Use HDD's and save the world.

read the thread faggot

Very long time.

QLC is a bad idea when you use SSD's as cache disks or do a lot of writes because of video editing etc.

Goldenfir 1TB is literally $100 on AliExpress right now.

a long freaking while, specially if its bigger than 250Gb
I'm using my TLC 840 EVO since early 2013 only for games and OS, wrote only 30Tb on it.

That is a brand I have never heard of. That might actually be this trick

there is a ton of local brands, they get nand and controller from samsung or micron and package it in their branding
even AMD "makes" SSDs did you know?

amazon.com/Silicon-Power-240GB-Internal-SP240GBSS3S55S25AE/dp/B01M61OWRI

example.

Hmm, 75€ here but better than I imagined.

I highly doubt they get controllers from Samsung.

It is more likely that they get controllers from Asmedia, Marvell or Jmicron.

Most of these cheap SSD's do not have RAM cache and are slow as fuck with random writes.

Things tend to degrade when you interact with them

>What in the fuck is this sorcery???
The threat of lawsuits for collusion and price fixing.

Then it will die after a few years instead of 1, still far short of 50 or even 10.

Give me your address so I can send a furry serial killer

So you don't have an SSD yet, ok, we get it

Why are those still so expensive ?

Attached: Screenshot_20190203-103802.jpg (1080x2280, 306K)

Goldenfir doesn't have DRAM so it's better not to use it with the OS and instead just use them as a a fast semi-cold storage unit (music, movies, shows, etc) or for large games

>why are enterprise parts expensive

They are cheap, but I suspect that is uses components that did not pass the the quality check for the regular name brands.

It could be okay, but I would not trust my data with it.

Yeah why ?

>what le sorcery xDD
Go back to fucking reddit right fucking now

SLAs, better binned parts, insurance policies, because they can.

My DRAMless 120GB SSD(ADATA SU650) is at 290TBW and it was rated for 40TBW and just now endurance/life started dropping.

Realistically what could you be doing to as to fuck up even a TLC SSD in a short time? (5 years or so)

does that mean that my £40 Crucial MX400 240GB SSD is going to die soon? i just bought it a couple of weeks ago

as long as you don't sit there and rewrite the entire drive multiple times a day there is no reason that shit shouldn't last decades

G-Pill me on ADATA SU800s

>QLC
oy gevalt!

hey Jow Forumsoys, how are adata SSDs? buying a adata su800 256GB

this

how do you measure TBW, goy?