Where's the best place to start to learn to code?

Where's the best place to start to learn to code?

... What can one even do once they've 'learnt to code'? Just career prospects or can it help in daily life?

Thanks.

Attached: q-james-bond.jpg (968x681, 66K)

>What can one even do once they've 'learnt to code'?
They can 'code'.

You can poo in the streets like all the other Pajeet "coders" out there.

Dont. Everyone and their mom is learning to code these days.

Construction workers are paid better than some coders these days.

Ofc some people get so good at coding that they earn alot more than the average shitty front-end web developer but unless you started when you were 12 years old thats not going to be you.

>Where's the best place to start to learn to code?
CS50 on edx.
>What can one even do once they've 'learnt to code'?
>Just career prospects or can it help in daily life?
You can do anything. Build a business. Work for a business. Automate shit(./login -> script opens browser, logs you into every service you use, etc.). Scrape websites for information. Build things you want that don't exist, etc.

You're essentially asking: "If I learn how to paint, what can I paint?"

I used to build dragonball Z websites on geocities back when, but that was almost two decades ago. I stopped in high school but considering starting again. If it's like riding a bike then I know the basics.

Do I have to run Linux? What do you code?

>Do I have to run Linux? What do you code?
Troll fag

Not trolling, just new to coding.

Are all coders this autistic?

In fact, they generally are. Do not approach the coding industry if you are not ready to deal with autists or even if you aren't an autist yourself.
Unless you're talking about nouveau-coding industry, where everything is done except coding.

>code
you already failed

i want to beat up that nerd

I learned to code directly in the W3 tryit editor. I still use it for most of my javascript and CSS development. I save my code into txt files with notepad.

You can literally begin right now by opening up the tryit editor and look at some code that does something and try to figure out why it does what it does.

>goes to a chinese shrimp farming forum asking how to code

Absolutely pathetic, you will NEVER make it!

First learn to be a better human being. Then realize coding is not for you. Cheers

Sounds like an industry of disgruntled failures.

Thanks.

Be a failed journalist first

where's the best place to become a department of defence puppet.

fucking die first.

that's what u need to do.

>... What can one even do once they've 'learnt to code'?

You can manipulate data. Programming is a tool. Once you begin to learn programming you'll start to see possibilities and projects will just appear in front of you. The more you learn the more things you'll want to try out before you know if you have a long list of projects and a never ending backlog. Everyone can learn to program, you just have to find the spark that get's you going. My first project in javascript was to learn how to add 1 + 1 and you it to output 2 onto the screen. As silly as it sounds, I still remember the feeling I got when I first realized I could make the computer do things. It started with adding numbers, then I just googled everything new I wanted to learn. It was a bit of a struggle to figure out how it all fits together at first but gradually it started to make more and more sense. I remember writing about two pages of code at one point without googling and then when I ran it it worked just as I had intended. I realized that then that I was coding by my self at that point, and that was a really nice feeling too. I'm still learning and I hope there will always be stuff to learn because learning is what get's me out of bed at this point.

Start with simple shit like linux bash scripting to get basics down, then try for stuff like python and move to compiled stuff that you think you'd be most likely to use. I don't know a ton but I write bash to automate a ton of server stuff and worth with C# regularly to do stuff commandline can't. Just come up with something to do and google till you get everything done, just remember to try and understand what your looking at as opposed to just copy pasting, treat it like research and not outsourcing.

Learn to google first, then come back

Itll mean you can automate some tasks on your own, depending on skill. For instance if you need to do a certain repetitive computer task at work, you could instead code something to do it for yoh, and browse Jow Forums instead. Eg. My boss used to hand write a 'court list' of which lawyers were going to each court each day, I wrote a program that scans each individuals diary and spits it into a table, which takes less than 15 seconds from click to printer paper, rather than the 20 minutes it took previously to check 100+ lawyers ever-changing diaries.

How long have you been studying coding?

Thanks.

Find yourself something you WANT to create for yourself. Make it something small or maybe spread it out in parts. Whether it's a program to automate files you have, or your own website, or some server side shit, make sure you have an interest in making something you want and might use. If not, you will get bored quick "coding".

I do work with VHDL and Verilog files, as well as write Tcl to utilize final files. I found interest in it back in college, but I recently thought of getting my own FPGA board at-home to have some fun with. Otherwise, I would've moved on to something else.

Attached: office-space-quotes28.jpg (400x300, 39K)

SICP

Sounds good, thanks. What would you do with an FPGA board?

learn gentoo

You get a mainframe government job then you'll be set for life

>but unless you started when you were 12 years old thats not going to be you.
This is the retardation the pisses me off. Programming is like any advanced skillset, the higher your IQ and the more creative you are, then the better will be at it. Learning to 'code' is the easiest part, applying it is the hard part. Great programmers are great because the find ingeniously efficient ways to program things.

You need to be an autistic person to code. Focus is key. No distractions, laser focus. If you can't do this then you're not cut out for it. It's a shitty fucking life too because you sit down all day and it kills your back and neck.

does mild aspergers work out for me if I wanted to code?

Any poo can 'learn to code'. If you want to make the big bux, you need to understand higher level logic and be able to represent complex things mathematically. Essentially, you need to know coding but also have at least some engineering or scientific background.