What does Jow Forums think of Linux Mint?

What does Jow Forums think of Linux Mint?

Attached: Logo_Mint.png (622x565, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=892
youtube.com/watch?v=ZnPNY1lqbWE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Best desktop Linux distro if you want Xfce.

install gentoo

Would rather use something that runs games properly Windows or Mac. Only sweaty fat contrarian neckbeards use Linux.

not everyone plays games. grow up kid

Botnet

Offbrand windows "Storebrand windows"

Very bloated, but it's very easy to use and it just werks. It's very easy for beginners, and I recommend it if it is your first GNU/Linux experience.

I used it with awesome

Been using it for a few years now, why should I change to another distro?

adware

I don't think using a distro that's a fork of a fork is a good idea.

It's fine, easy to get into.

Cinnamon is trash and there's lots of Ubuntu style pointless bloat.

then whats the point of a computer? programming games for kids to play? lmfao

The bloat and botnet, I use Ubuntu on my T420 so I can't really complain about either.

Data management, programming, every type of design, communication, word processing, archiving, the list goes on.

Mint’s bloat is comfy, i only remove thunderbird and hexchat from my installs.

Ok

mint is an even bigger piece of shit than ubuntu, i would sooner drop my computer out of a boat in to a lake before i would put mint on it

It's bloated, but good for beginners. I recommend cinnamon to beginners, until they start wanting to customize it. The problem with mint is when you start customizing it, then you realize just how bloated it is.

I think it and you are both a piece of shit.

I installed it on an old laptop 6 months ago. No problems so far.

Attached: 1526704200478.jpg (500x376, 65K)

Lots of terrible decisions. As an example to back this claim, Ikey Doherty. He was a linux mint mantainer until he realized it was a shitshow and went its own way to found solus. Basically python apps, madness of C codebases, dns hijacked showing poor opsec, etc

If you're going to use apt-based garbage, there's literally no reason not to just use vanilla debian.

bragging rights on desktop threads

compile developer programs yourself for latest updates, use rss to keep watch on new updates. Other than that its good, learn to use timeshift and dejavu first

it's fine if you want to use it, nothing terrible about it, a good distro that just werks

>runs games
>Mac
Hahahahahaha. Linux is a better general use and a better gaming OS than Mac.

I love all this "bloat" FUD by Ubuntu shills. The Ubuntu community hates Mint, everyone knows that Mint is faster and that its Ubuntu that is bloated and requires long wait times for apps to start up. Clem should be made CEO of Canonical since he is a better bistro manager than Shuttleworth.

My first linux distro
My favourite thing was to wander through the preinstalled programs and see what they do

It's interest is inversely proportional to your veterancy and level of knowledge of Linux. Same as Ubuntu, and to a lesser point, Debian.
Also, I like Cinnamon, same reason, it just werks in a "the better is the enemy of the good" kind of way

Worst distro is you wanna know linux.

Nice try but MX Linux is the king.

Babby's first Linux

Does it have tearing by default? I've only used it in a VM and it was fine, at least better than Xubuntu.

I'm thinking about installing this.
But does visual studio 2017 work on linux?

Well, it's a distro based on a distro based on another distro. I'd recommend it for absolute beginners but after you know the basic commands and how package managers works, in this case apt, I'd just grab Debian stable. Sure, packages are older but it's the base for all these ubuntu and mint flavor distros. Better security, less bloat, doesn't break on big upgrades(as long as you're not using repos you shouldn't, also just in case, make sure you backup your home folder, you never know)

Yeah, I started on Ubuntu, then got to Mint and damn, it just feels much more lighter. And I don't see fucking amazon anywhere here too.

There is VSCode, but I don't know how similar they are

the only distros i tried were Kubuntu and Mint Cinnamon,
Kubuntu was buggy and bloated,
Mint Cinnamon on the other hand has only scaling factors 1 and 2 which is ridiculous.
Instead of switching from Win10 to Linux, I switched from Win10 to Win7 in the end.

could i not run it with wine? or is that only for games?

Why on earth would you use Mint if you could just use Ubuntu? Mint just comes with more problems.

Yes, you could also do that
Wine isn't only for games

You can try, but it's 30GB of bullshit and probably has a shit ton of dependencies you need to manually install. If you want to waste time then go ahead. I wouldn't have high hopes: appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=892
Most of these are outdated and they usually don't even try to make workarounds.

Is the default video player completely useless, or is it just me?

Yeah, I'm not gonna waste time, if and when i do try mint, will try visual studio code and try running a virtualbox with windows to run visual studio.

>data management
for games
>programming
programming video games
>every type of design
game design
>communication
multiplayer
>word processing
typeracer
>archiving
game archives

games

VSC is just a bloated text editor. It lacks 90% of VS features and requires you to install addons to make it somewhat functional.

Is there anything superior to apt? Pacmeme is broken by design

Attached: Macho.jpg (400x400, 28K)

No tearing, comes with Compton preinstalled.

Good for someone who will never open a terminal. For everyone else, just use fucking Debian if you want an apt-based distro.

k

Attached: Gentoo.jpg (1920x2560, 1021K)

>Is there anything superior to apt?
xbps

literally the only fucking reason
Archfags can sugma

It's another Distro. To me It's just Ubuntu Cinnamon.

Attached: hes-right-you-know.jpg (380x347, 25K)

>Compton
So it's not only worse than Mint, but shit. Compton is buggy, abandoned and inefficient. I'd rather have tearing than halve the battery life of a laptop and waste 10% CPU cycles.
Mint uses xfwm 4.13 which has tearing fixed.

The worse kind of botnet.

You shouldn't. But in my case I was upgrading from 32 bit to 64, and I wanted to try AUR. Turns out it's just a more convenient PPA. Nothing that special.

i've been using ubuntu budgie (its nice i never tried budgie before) on my cheapo pc with parts i got from work which is i5 750 and GT 610 with 12gb DDR3, my HTPC has kubuntu on it with I7 7th gen engineering sample and a GTS 450 and 16gb DDR4, i have a bunch of 2700k leftovers that my work tried to dispose but i dont have a spare sandy bridge mobo nor people sell them or retail have these anymore

pacman > xbps

Anything other than mpv/VLC is useless.
Anything other than audacious/Clementine is useless.
I hate this shit. Mint should just let you select which apps you want to install or not.

It has both Xfwm and Compton.

>Xfwm
fake news. It does not come with xfwm

>Cinnamon is trash

fuck off mint is cinnamon and it is BASED

Learn to fix the tearing? Fucking moron, you arent worth the silicon it took for you to post here.

Attached: 1514238223047.jpg (480x360, 21K)

shit, no security and unstable

Great starter distro. Switched to MX because there were some sound issues in a few programs I compiled. Closer to Debian base seems best because then there is zero additional Ubuntu bloat.

>Install MX
>open terminal
>sudo apt-get update
>close terminal
>root still in use
shit distro

no, cinnamon is trash. ugly, bloated trash at that.
even gnome 3 (with or without extensions) is better, considering all the strides it has made in aesthetics, memory usage, and wayland support, while connamon is stuck with the old version of it that it was forked off of and the meagre, buggy selection of extensions and applets available for it at cinnamon-spices.org.

cinnamon is stagnant. while mate, xfce, and even lxde support global menus and window control applets to undecorate maximized windows, cinnamon is stuck in the dark ages of thick, uncustomizable titlebars.
But by far the most irksome thing about cinnamon is its ugly abomination of a start menu, which is inferior to the whisker or brisk menus or xfce and mate, and even the basic flyout menus of gnome.
in fact, with the gnome 3/flashback session (the CentOS default - which works with the old mutter and compiz compositing window managers) the whole purpose and incentive for mate or cinnamon is called into question.

it works
perfect for linux noob like myself

what s the best DISTRO for noobs like me ?

mx linux

i have none of those problems cinnamon has a great dark theme and is aesthetic if its not being developed its because its so polished

t. my cinnamon mac air

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-25 15-08-13.png (1440x900, 672K)

> what s the best DISTRO for noobs like me ?

the answer is always what the guy who replies to you is using in his case it was MX which i have only just heard about after 7 years of mint

anyone here still using SOLUS ?

HI KEVIN

to each their own, but you cant deny that looks like flatshit cancer compared to professionally designed interfaces like picrel
i dont use MX (im a KDE man myself), but i read and trust dedoimedo. it apparently fixes mtp and samba issues that ubuntu and mint are plagued by.

Attached: gnome-flashback.png (1366x768, 826K)

>(im a KDE man myself),

TFW i have no face anymore... the memes are too strong... im out

Attached: serveimage (10).png (854x470, 285K)

Best distro if you want something that looks like a desktop instead of tablet garbage

>It's interest is inversely proportional to your urge to be a weeb ricer faggot
Fixed for ya

Convinced me in 2017 that Linux might finally be viable for main desktop. Still have some issues, but ditched windows completely now. I use Solus since then, not Mint however.

Hate to tell you, but you are far better off with Linux unless you play Overwatch and all the other current popular shite.

I have a pc running with Mint and Xfce but for some reason when I open the menu with the super/windows key, the keyboard becomes unresponsive for the menu. But when I use the mouse to open the menu the keyboard works just fine.
Really annoying, and I have no clue what causes this.

No reason to use aur

Kill yourself you fucking retard. The user shouldn't fix something so fucking trivial. Mint team fixed it therefore I'd use their distro rather than Xubuntu or anything else. A single dev can fix this shit in less than an hour so that thousands of people don't have to waste thousands of hours fixing this bullshit.

i wanna try it with cinnamon but havent had a chance yet
lots of games run better on linux than windows, especially vulkan ones
in a few years, windows software will unironically work better on linux distro lol

overwatch runs great on linux
lutris and DXVK are one hell of a drug
youtube.com/watch?v=ZnPNY1lqbWE

there is linux mint debian edition

> They slap in a compositor heavy enough to make using XFCE pointless and call it fixed.
All it actually takes is a line in a conf file lol

Mint uses the Xfce compositor you fucking imbecile.

I don't know what to think but I know what I see everytime I see someone using it. I go like:
"aaahahha look at this noob. probably doesn't even know how to kill a process or print the distro logo in the console"

whats the difference between xubuntu 18.10 and the latest linux mint? because i'm sure they are virtually the same

Mint has better default settings and fixed screen tearing

I play Overwatch on Linux

>What does Jow Forums think of Linux Mint?
here on Jow Forums, and I think I speak for the overwhelmingly vast majority of us, we rarely, if ever, think of linux mint, but, I am certain, if we think of it we think it is for sperglords and the mentally deceased of the linux community. If linux was a school, mint would be the remedial class.

this, it is just hacked together combining binaries from Ubuntu and Debian with no key checking and no security advisories. Piece of shit. Like if you are retarded just accept it and install a spin of ubuntu

dnf

I thought Jow Forums hated Mint to death.
I was about to install it today to see if I liked Linux or not.

Just install Debian user

I agree 100 percent. Use Arch like a real man.

Linux mint is the easiest to install and use, but it lacks because it is a debian derivative. Debian is way better than mint