/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, quadcore; USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: rms14.jpg (2272x1704, 647K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X250-5th-Gen-Core-i5-5300U-256GB-SSD-Rare-16GB-Win7-Dual-Battery/283358547837?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
amazon.ca/ThinkPad-T420-T430-T510-Newmodeus/dp/B00A2AWBKU
youtube.com/watch?v=mDXEIC2ns2A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Acer is good too, r-right

I bought this as my first Thinkpad ever, did I do good?
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X250-5th-Gen-Core-i5-5300U-256GB-SSD-Rare-16GB-Win7-Dual-Battery/283358547837?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Finally got my first Thinkpad, a T430 with an i5-3320M for ~$50 less than the average listing in my country.

Everything seems to work so far but the screen and the bezel around it had a few minor fuckups (very faint scratch, the function keys left small marks on the screen and the bezel's got what you can see in the image, no idea what might've caused that) that I didn't notice when I was testing it before the purchase. Not much I can do about that at this point besides replacing it or doing a screen upgrade, but I guess it doesn't matter since I got it cheap.

Did I do well?

Attached: very cool pic.jpg (3648x2736, 1.17M)

>buy thinkpad from recycling center over ebay
>Computrace: Active, Enabled
wut do

Attached: 1547711441087.png (200x200, 72K)

>2019
>Not using the chosen operating system of the intellectuals on your Thinkpad

Attached: IMG_3419.jpg (4032x3024, 2.22M)

As long as you got it for cheap, then you shouldn't worry. Buying a laptop from a refurbisher is more expensive because they sort trough that shit.
If you're really paranoid, just get another one (if its cheap anyway) and scrap that one for parts. (get an identical model)

ur fukd lol

Why haven't you installed GNU/Linux yet?

Is a thinkpad with libreboot the only way I can get a laptop that doesn't spy on me

Can you browse Jow Forums on that thing? Try posting from it.

Being a newfag I want to ask: what's a good price range for x220 and x230 (both tablet and laptop versions)

Attached: 1542815715202.jpg (480x480, 44K)

Because I just got home, and I might wait until I can afford an SSD too.

Coreboot and disabling ME with the NSA variable is the best next thing.

Check the dankpads.com link in the OP for ebay averages on all models.

>orange juice
>VNs
>touhou
any other fun games to play on these things?

quake

Depends on where you live, in my shithole 200 usd is a normal price.

I got it cheap but this is disheartening. I think I might try calling Absolute Shitware next week and see if they can't release it. I'd hate to have to scrap it.

Is x230 tablet version specs is same with laptop version?

I'm positive you can, Firefox is available for eComStation up to ver. 52 and I've been told you can get that running on OS/2 Warp. Unfortunately the 3Com drivers for my ethernet card are not working, card's probably too new, so I'm gonna have to use the modem instead.

Get OS/2

Fucked up trying to bid at the last minute for a x230 and lost it, it was 88$ 8GB, 500GB HDD, i5 3230M, the thing looked perfect with a couple of scratches at the bottom, and am guessing the price was low because no OS. I feel like ending myself, the thing was literally made for me and I blew it.

Attached: 1547656560112.png (1107x566, 392K)

I've been playing openxcom on my thinkpad, so much fun especially with overhaul mods like piratez, I've also seen people playing openttd and openrct i'm not big into those but should run fine on just about anything desu, easily thousands of hours of fun right there

It probably had either Computrace enabled or a broken or awful screen. Save your dosh and look for a model with the IPS screen.

Just bought a set of thinkpads for very cheap that look like they were taken apart by a twelve year old. Does Jow Forums know where to find diagrams for wiring and/or boards for newer thinkpads. P50 and T470s in this case.

Attached: 26153676-591F-4283-A539-ACDD1C6D27ED.jpg (4032x3024, 1.72M)

$90 after shipping good for a T430 with i5 3rd gen (that ill replace) 4gb ram, no hdd/os/power cable?

lo-

Does upgrading the processor mean more or less battery life?

licon get the rope

lis are the best thing in the universe

l

9PM buying a thinkpad at someones home, hope I don't get killed.

>not meeting in a nearby business parking lot
lol you're getting robbed dude

How do you disable the fingerprint reader light? There's no option for it in the BIOS.

u gunna get raped

The parking lot is more dangerous, the guy won't rob you if you know where he lives.

meet at a starbucks. Not the parking lot, IN the starbucks.

Plot twist: its not his home and tyrone is robbing you, the house, and banging yo wife.

>the guy won't rob you if you know where he lives
No, he'll beat you over the head, violently rape you, and then dump you in the river.

Stellaris and TF2 (ultra low config) run pretty great on my T430s. CSGO runs like shit unless you play at 800x600. I'm going to try playing Halo CE with SPV3 sometime too.

>kidnappers and killers care if you know where they live
Right.
>the parking lot is more dangerous
Yes the well-lit area in front of a store is totally more dangerous than walking into a stranger's house. I hope you don't think I'm implying that parking 200yd from the entrance to Best Buy is equivalent to right in front of a busy restaurant or B&M or something.

Attached: 1541832453808.png (480x480, 294K)

is this overpriced?
amazon.ca/ThinkPad-T420-T430-T510-Newmodeus/dp/B00A2AWBKU

>overpriced
>CDN
Pick one maplefag

>is this overpriced?
Yeah, frankly. The chink ones on eBay are much cheaper (~$12) and better quality. I don't like those exposed bits of metal, you're just asking to fuck with the hard drive.

can i fit a i7-6700hq quad core in a t420.Have a spare out of a kill laptop.

i’m in a lyft on my way to his home guys

even if you could that shit would just get throttled

what laptop is it? if won't disable it you can always coreboot it if your thinkpad is compatitble

i hope the driver doesnt leave without you.

you think there would still be a positive performance increase from a gen 2 i5.

i think he will

Should've gotten an x230 instead.

Why? I find them too small for me and there aren't many available here.

help. 2 days and 6 models i thought would work later im back at square 1.

usage: school (so not too thick/heavy), adobe suite (photoshop/premiere), light gamin with eGPU 1060 3/6gb, and docks with external monitor. i have a W10 key so no OS is fine

ideally quad core, 8gb ddr3, passable screen (external for quality anyways), or able to be upgrade as such. I can do most basic upgrades but if there's rewiring involved im out

any ideas what the cheapest models for this are?

Attached: fuck.jpg (205x246, 16K)

It's an x201. That's probably what I'll do if they give me the runaround and refuse to release it. I'd need to get all the hardware for that though as I don't think I have any of the necessary things to coreboot. I got this thing for 60 bucks w/o hdd and it's nearly unused with only light scratches on the bottom, so it'd be a shame to throw it on the pile.

Next step will be designing or buying the middle latch thing, repasting the cpu and adding more ram

Attached: X61t.jpg (3264x1894, 2.12M)

Is a t440p good enough for most computing ?
Im kinda getting cold feet on my purcahse (even though the price i paid was really good), maybe i should just buy an Air and dont sweat it since i dont play games or edit video.

Is Gentoo unironically a good distro for a new
Lenovo T580 with max specs? Asking for a friend.

Attached: 1548788100734.png (612x369, 135K)

Even a T420 is good for most computing.

Yes. Stuff 3 or 4 generations older than that is still good for most computing.

ok i got the thinkpad and now i am back home safe and sound

what thinkpad

can someone help a newfag out, about to purchase my first thinkpad after toying with linux for a long time on my current laptop

x200s core 2 duo 128gb ssd vs x220 i5 120gb ssd... i know x200s is librebootable but seems like a pain in the ass from reading about it, so not sure how much leverage that gets over the x220, i also think x220 are better or eaiser for mods? theres also an x220i with i3 and 500gb ssd (not sure how much itd cost extra to switch to an ssd) overall, the first two models are the same price and the i3 is 30 dollars cheaper... help a newfag out

get the x220
fuck the freetard meme

Dwarf fortress

>s models
gay
>i models
gay
>user saying get the x220 fuck freetards
gay but half right
The x220 is the best of these options. You can coreboot a 220.

Which model would you choose and why instead? I was informed that x200 and x220 is the best haha

My bad its a 500gb HDD on the i3

You don't want libreboot that shit is retarded.

Go with as new as you can afford, 12" is fucking tiny consider an X1 or a T480s.

>x200s core 2 duo 128gb ssd
>x220 i5 120gb ssd
>x220i i3 500gb hdd
The i5 x220 is the best machine here, and if you're a newfag to not just chinkpads but Jow Forums in general and it's not obvious enough by that post, ignore that tripfag.

I just want a thinkpad I can tinker with a lot, I'll check out those too then!

Honest I've got a way higher spec laptop atm my only reason for switching or buying a think pad is for Linux compatibility and all that shit, that's why I'm not super fussed on specs atm but still wanted an opinion on that libreboot shit, glad to know its a waste of time haha

Yeah I thought so too

Unfortunately this is the only sellwe not based in my area and his looks the most scuffed up with blurry images, the other two sellers have sold at like 6 refurbished

Might just bite the bullet, thanks mate!

>ignore that tripfag
lol yeah buy a 7 year old laptop that gets 4-5 hours of actual use on battery when the newer model gets 20.

zzzz

Attached: tard.jpg (1024x512, 72K)

stop with the "haha"s
the models listed under "modern models" in the OP are all fine, but you can add x200 and x201 to that list too for most people imo. unless you go bloatmode distro you'll be able to run plenty on those i5s. --20 and earlier models have the og keyboard so they're great if you're gonna be typing a shitload, but --30 models aren't bad either and can take a 20 kb swap if you want to do it. 20/30 are the sweet spot that would please the majority of people

>4-5hr of battery life
good meme
>it's a tripfag keeps posting his selfie episode
don't you have any other pictures there redditnigger?

Attached: chronic reddit spacing.png (1046x1003, 93K)

x220 :-)

Newer models support NVME, gigabit ethernet, and 802.11ac.

The shit in the older thinkpads are literally depreciated garbage.

150MB/s sata?
95mbps ethernet? lmfao my wireless is faster
802.11n fucking WHY would you use this...

Kek, check youtube videos, this guy has it all youtube.com/watch?v=mDXEIC2ns2A
Its no closing coz the genius probably didnt retuck those wwman/wifi card cables correctly

Can i post sexy outdoor pics with my thinkpad here?

>Honest I've got a way higher spec laptop atm my only reason for switching or buying a think pad is for Linux compatibility and all that shit, that's why I'm not super fussed on specs atm but still wanted an opinion
read the thread before shitting in it tripnigger

Attached: lmao.png (749x167, 34K)

Hes a fucking idiot, Linux runs fine on any laptop except maybe brand new Macs.

Lovely, I regret getting the non-tablet since lower res. Did you 3D print the caddy cover or something? How are your cpu temps under load.
Yeah because theres no bloat. Be patient when you are compiling though...
Why? Whitelists + faster boot if anything...
Its mandatory

And bcos think pads are durable good laptops???

Yes I know it does that's why its running fine on my Asus

So hostile

libreboot doesn't boot faster you fucking throwback.

EFI firmware takes like 3-4 seconds on a newer thinkpad.

ALSO you will be missing support for super basic shit like PCI power management which will literally cut your battery life in half.

What do you guys think of the x250?

Seems like a good compromise between recent hardware and ThinkPad practicality.

So I got a near mint x220 i7 and Nitrocaster's 1080p board, I was going to send it to Louis Rossman but I live in the UK and on top of Louis' fee the cost of shipping and customs would be more than I paid for the laptop.

Does anyone know somewhere preferably in the UK that knows how to do it?

I emailed him and he quoted around $200 which I would be willing to pay if not for customs and shipping on top.

Attached: 20190203_013926.jpg (4032x1960, 2.42M)

Man 200 petrodollars is a shit ton. Just buy a smol soldering kit, its not hard. I just used a soldering kit with a thicc tip to solder a stripped screw, and nothing bad happened - i'm sure you can do it with a fine tip. If not, go to a local electronics store or garage, and ask if they could solder those points needed on electronics.

Upfraded my ram from 4gb to 8gb now my t420 shutdown when I go on YouTube

What the fuck did I do? Why aren't there any options in bios to change the ram timing?

I should say its specifically YouTube and a few other sites and memtest thinks the memory is fine

dont scare me, im literally gonna do that on monday.

Overheating? monitor the temps

It givers around 45 degrees when web browsing, it was at 55 during memtest for about 4 hours

I just replaced the thermal paste a week ago

>12-14 inches
>IPS screen, ideally 1080p
>nice keyboard and trackpoint

What are my options?

carbon 3g+, t450+, x250+
x220/30 if you want to solder
not too sure on the later xmodles when 1080 starts if it's an option. x13g and i think t450 only get a tn fhd panel but ips wqhd, but an ips 1080 is plug in. later models do have a fhd ips option and nvme support

Not for me.

Modern thinkpads score about as well as a MS Surface on repairability. Everything is made from extremely cheap plastic that feels like crap, the keyboard is certainly not the best on the market anymore, and everything is held together by HP-style clips that will snap off if you ever try to open the device.

Thinkpads also have much worse price/performance than even Apple products now, it's crazy.

After my recent Thinkpad purchase (which I quickly back peddled on, having come from an X201)
I will never purchase a thinkpad again.

Attached: b0wugkdo91101.jpg (1440x1200, 192K)

I never buy newer than x230.

The only thing I was worried about was build quality and similar, as mentioned by It's a shame, I love my gfs x230 but the screen is so so terrible I just can't get by with it. Is it possible to replace the screen on an x230?

There is a 1080p mod and you could also switch it to an IPS screen that's really nice

Anyone knows where I can look for good deals in Italy? Amazon has a pretty crappy selection.

>Modern thinkpads score about as well as a MS Surface on repairability
lmfao what

Even modern ThinkPads are very repairable. The only significant stuff is soldered CPUs, and more easily accessed RAM and drives.

>paying $200+ for the older meme Thinkpads when you can get more recent models like the x250 or t450s for the same price or less

Why would you buy those memes? I understand the benefits of the older models, especially for purists, but they're overpriced af.

Which gen(s) X1 Carbon should I get? I want a 2560x1440 IPS screen.

jesus christ just watched a keyboard replacement video.