Why doesn't everyone just use Ubuntu?

>install distro so you can deploy X project to accomplish Y task

>Choose Ubuntu
>project just werks out of the box
>Choose literally anything else
>broken out of the box

>Get to tricky part of project and need a tutorial to get something complex running
>follow a blogpost written for Ubuntu in 2011 that still werks
>search distro mailservs from 1999, hit deadends, spend hours talking to boomer-aged NEETs who ask for 10 years of log files before they can help you

What kind of masochist would deploy any other distro than Ubuntu?

Attached: Ubuntu.jpg (600x450, 164K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Worse botnet than w10

(((ubuntu))) is a botnet
other distros just werk on my machine out of the box

cause i know enough to write the blogpost

Ubuntu is only fucking distro, that doesn't work properly out of the box.

OpenSUSE is way better. Better documentation, better support, better everything.

You must be the accomplished failure to break every distro that isn't Ubuntu.

Attached: 1450927030070.jpg (468x577, 61K)

I use Ubuntu because it just werks and I want to use the desktop for things other than ricing i3

Debian unstable is basically ubuntu without the botnet.

>Noobuntu botnetz
They got rid of the amazon spyware ages ago. It's widely used around the world, and probably one of few distros for serious work other than ricing with pedo shit as a wallpaper

Why would you trust a company after that?

Too bad it's overrun by fascist trannies.

Because ubuntu is stupid nigger name.

OpenSUSE is surprisingly good, Im not sure why it isnt more popular.

Is Ubuntu or any other GNU/Linux distro not shit? I've used exclusively GNU/Linux environments on my personal laptop and home computer for two years while still working with Windows 7, Windows 10 and Mac OS computers. I've tried at least Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint (Cinnamon), Manjaro and Debian with some DE. The most important thing I've learned about the loonix world after all this is that they're full of shit unless all you do is programming or maybe 3d animation.

Other adjectives describing gnooloonix operating systems and environments:
>slow
>U G L Y
>inefficient
>doesn't work
>breaks on updates
>no support
>no software
>doesn't attract hot chicks
>is good for servers and such and maybe for stinking basement dwellers but not for people doing the real hard work

Attached: inToTheThrash.gif (300x269, 817K)

Ubuntu is good enough for Google to use interally. They roll their version of called GooBuntu. Thought its almost entirely stock so that its easier to maintain.
There used to a video on youtube of, I think, Thomas Bushnell talking about it...but I cant seem to find it at the moment

Nice post

Attached: 1546580517845.gif (1080x1137, 1.17M)

>but muh botnet!

Attached: 1928515632526.jpg (960x492, 56K)

I use Xubuntu

>>>
cite your source

Same here. It just werks.

I'm using Linux Mint.
-Based on Ubuntu
-Better UI
-Decent documentation but Ubuntu docs also still apply in most cases

fractal OSS development is going to become an increasingly greater clusterfuck and no one seems that bothered about fixing it. take a language like C++, never mind the hundreds of redundant libraries when everyone decides to reimplement the fucking universe, and just consider the ~6 different major build systems cross the ~4 major package managers. so much wasted effort

then you get into things like linux wheres so many distro level forks not pushing back to the kernel. and even stupid forks (which should be only for things like systemd vs non-systemd). i think autism is the cause but i dont know the solution

this

you probably don't even know what botnet is, keep repeating other anons

Huh??

when i can find a desktop environment that feels as responsive as winshit10 on my crappy lenovo workstation, i'll switch.
>inb4 tiling wm's. i'm not a level 4 archmage

Check out OpenSUSE. They have the best KDE implementation.

Cause the NPCs are always afraid to try something different than what society put down their throat.
That's why they stay on Windows 10, and that's also why they marry, have kids, and try to be at the top of the rat race by making 80k+ a year.

Attached: 96a76362655c875eb261e78013a700e4.jpg (960x960, 96K)

>buggy garbage
>ppas are clunky as time has gone on
>couldn't make a DE
>moved from making a user-friendly distro and threw it all away
>sucks off debian
>snaps are a failure
>paired up with amazon because they couldnt pay the bills
>has the new vulnerability of debians apt http problem
You tell me why I use anything else at this point.

Attached: 1547401506944.jpg (1280x720, 87K)

Everyone hates on Win10, but the reality is that Windows 10 is the best OS Microsoft has ever put out. The actual OS parts are really really good. Particularly driver support...plug shit in and it "it just works", it actually does. Its really impressive. However, they layered a bunch of shit on top of that good OS, like Cortana and telemetry etc, which drag it down.

I got to this way of thinking around the time of 16.04. I even gave Fedora 27 a go but I have come to realise that Ubuntu is the only distro that matters.
I might actually try out Debian 10 just because it's basically Ubuntu without the polish and to see how far I get before I get triggered by bullshit.

Software monoculture is bad for your job security user

Archwiki has the answer to everything

I tend to use ubuntu since thats the usual "target" linux OS for most software these days, Elementry is interesting but a little too restrictive. Ubuntu has a nice balance of working out of the box but capable of being hack-y at the same time.

I wasn't initially happy with Ubuntu's switch away from Unity - it still offers a few things that Gnome still does not. Though in progress videos it seems like Gnome is advancing at a fast pace and honestly, it kind of ticks all the right boxes for me.

Looking forwards to 19.04 mostly for Gnome 3.32

>I might actually try out Debian 10
don't. managing packages is a nightmare

Just use Antergos. Maintaining Arch is honestly easier and the wiki is more useful than sifting through awful advice on the ubuntu forums

I'm definitely going to try out the new Ubuntu release in April. I've always liked Ubuntu, but my PC is too old and slow to use the 'real' version, so I use Xubuntu instead. Once I get a new computer, I'll definitely have Ubuntu as the daily OS.

Canonical will be sold to Microsoft soon.

Mark Shuttlecock has said that he has no plans to sell Canonical

He won't have a choice. Everyone has a price.

Ubuntu is okay...but this entire post reeks of shit tier trolling.

Ubuntu is good and just works (aside from gnome, fuck gnome), but don't glorify it that much. And i seriously i have to ask OP, what the fuck are you doing, that any other distro breaks out of the box?

Attached: todd_werks.jpg (1280x720, 36K)

Why? I just script that shit. Don't do anything on Ganoo Lanox by hand when you don't have to, my dude.

>waaah, why won't anyone just use windows

Attached: 1546285627254-g.png (800x600, 171K)

Why write your own scripts when the package manager could just do it for you?

I'm using Ubuntu right now. It's honestly very nice, the UI is really well designed compared to some other distros.
I might switch to elementary OS though just for the OSX-like workspace management.

>the package manager will script the packages you want by reading your mind

>t. Microshit shills

>I might switch to elementary OS though just for the OSX-like workspace management.
Such as?

I want maximize to a workspace in my title bar and I'd like the touch gestures for switching workspaces on OSX.
I probably can do it on Gnome, I should just look into it

>managing packages is a nightmare
The implied point here was that apt is a piece of shit and you work around that by writing scripts for it that automate away the bumfuckery. I suggested using a package manager that's not pants-on-head retarded in the first place.

i'm sucking the red hat cock since 7.2 and that's why i still suck it now.

Most people I've seen using linux use ubuntu.

The ones that use manjaro/arch end up going back to wherever they came from, or swapping to ubuntu. There's a few that stick with arch/manjaro but it's rare.

The only time someone isn't using ubuntu is when they're using mint or elementary or something else that is just ubuntu but with different applications.

Nope, turns out I can't, This is fucking garbage.

It works fine until it doesn't and you're left wondering why there's so many kernels the space run out

>GooBuntu
Actually they switched from ubuntu to debian testing some time ago, they call it GLinux now

I went from Ubuntu to Arch because I Canonical wold break things and I'd end up reading the Arch wiki to find out how to fix it.

Better to use Debian itself, and skip the extra crap Ubuntu adds in.

The touch gestures are a thing.

How does it feel to be retarded and have bad taste?

>Is Ubuntu or any other GNU/Linux distro not shit?
Lubuntu/Xubuntu are great for grandma who has a shitheap PC and gets confused trying to even open Google Chrome

Can confirm. Xubuntu is simple and just werks on my old(ish) laptop.

Yup. Recently did install Xubuntu for my grandmother on her ooooold machine running Vista.

It's more of a european thing.

Botnet.

Linuxlite.

Based on Ubuntu and mint.

Because other than the package manager and the terminal, linux sucks

>Why doesn't everyone just use Ubuntu?
because everyone is not a nigger

This, Ubuntu has nothing on Debian+unfree, all devices which would work on Ubuntu work out of box with Debian+unfree.

Devuan comes with all the firmware by default too.

this is true

>need something
>yay -S something
Ubuntu can't beat that.

Everyone does tho. It's just the 15 year Olds that don't do any work and re customize their arch install everyday that don't.

youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc

>yay -S
You know you can just not use the -S right?
if you just type yay it does yay -S by default.

They changed their install process for mysql in 18.04, now if you want to login with php you have to go through this really round about method rather than being able to login as root. 16.04 was fine, install the right packages and you are ready to go, now you have to make another user with the same permissions as the root mysql user. Why did they change this it was perfectly fine before?