Friendly OpenWrt thread

I'm an user who's kind of familiar with this. I'll be hosting this thread while I can, but others are warmly welcome to join in on the fun also. I'm not one of the gods like those guys who develop OpenWrt or make products with it, I just don't have those kinds of abilities; but I am familiar enough that I've made a lot of mistakes and know some common pitfalls.

>Is my device supported?
Check here:
openwrt.org/toh/start

>What can I expect?
More features. More control. Better performance. For the casual or average user this would include items such as: adblocking on your router
github.com/openwrt/packages/blob/master/net/adblock/files/README.md

>run a personal VPN on your router
openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/vpn/openvpn/basic

>no botnet on your router
OpenWrt does not issue unsoliceted requests, or include any backdoors. It also uses the latest stable kernel, so no security holes like the commercial software currently running on your router probably has.

>ability to run custom scripts on your router in shell, python, ruby, even java, and plenty other languages
openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/python?s[]=python

>ability to save files to the flash, or temporarily in RAM, put simply, it's a mini linux system instead of a nerfed black box

Attached: openwrt.png (449x449, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/relay_configuration
tomato.groov.pl/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

and still i cant figure out how to create an ap on the same radio as a client

any thoughts?

It's nice thou if you aproach it from cli as a regular linux distro you are entering a world of pain.

I loaded tomato on an AP I have a while back, I use it as just an AP with some SMB storage.

Attached: Screenshot_20190203_023602.png (397x299, 23K)

im a noob.

if you block ads on the router, how do you disable it for a short time?
about once a day i'll run into a website that is messed up by adblock

I run a pihole however I haven't run into this, most times these things allow you to disable them for a set period of time.

openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/relay_configuration

I had this setup with ap bridged to lan.

love this for wireguard

Attached: 1511374810071.png (680x453, 287K)

I want to cover an large outdoor space with a wireless mesh network, Unifi make a the UAP-AC-M that does this pretty well out of the box at @$100/unit it's not a bad option. But running proprietary software which I'd prefer to avoid.

Can OpenWRT do mesh networks like this well, does it require any specific hardware, and are there any guides to get started?

I know OpenWRT supports 802.11s but that is a layer 2 protocol and I need all nodes on the network to have an IP address. I don't want to buy some hardware just to test and hack, surely someone has done this before and documented it, right?

Yes, it's lovely.

Still waiting on a native Windows client (from the orig. dev.)

maybe your hardware can't do it

how do i setup wireguard? never looked into it because i've already setup openvpn. i get the feeling that i'm being cucked by how complicated an openvpn setup is though

most ubiquiti devices have full openwrt support and yes you can mesh them

pretty sure it can i did it with AA but this shit doesnt let me

what's your hardware?

there is kernel module and luci addon.
I made everything from luci and only client for my router.
There are tons of tutorials about it.

how easy is it to add multiple devices as clients?

generate key pair
add key on server config
restart wg on server
create client config
--connect--

forgot easiest way is to use /32 mask
then you just use wg-quick
else you must mess with iptables or something

What device sub-100$ can I get for OpenWRT? I don't think the website has a "entry-level" option

I use tomato by shibby, tomato.groov.pl/
how does it stack up against OpenWRT?

Attached: food_of_the_gods.jpg (600x600, 234K)

what router are you using?

my WRT1900AC has no 5GHz on latest openWRT