GNU Octave

Why is Octave so awful? It makes me question if my computer is really deterministic. Why is (almost) all GNU software like this.

Attached: __imaizumi_kagerou_dead_space_and_etc_drawn_by_wool_miwol__fce2963fad6f6217839fbde66648b30c.png (780x375, 152K)

good enuf for vanilla matlab scripting

I can't even get my script to run properly tho

Also array indexing from 1 is fucking retarded

I should say vector, my bad

>Anime
Cringe. Stopped reading right there.

>I can't even get my script to run properly tho
blame yourself, not the tool
>Also array indexing from 1 is fucking retarded
It's not.
Math start indexing matrices from 1
FORTRAN starts from 1
Obviously so does MATLAB
I think julia does it too.
Indexing from zero is arguably confusing. Numerical Recipes in C goes an extra way in implementing its library so it start indexing from 1 too.

>Anime
Cringe. Stopped reading right there.

Lack of contributors, maybe to a dev team hostile to contribution. It's a common theme.

It does seemingly random things when trying to open a script file. Not sure why I should blame myself for that.

Indexing from 0 is in no way confusing, when you realize that your index is an offset from a base pointer. But I understand that most engineers can't or don't want into programming. Maybe there should be a type that lets me index like I would index an array in any other programming language.

use Maxima or Julia

use numpy then

>Julia
Hey, that's me! :3
=^_^=

I don't have a choice. I'll have to use Matlab/Octave next semester, so I thought I'd try to get started with it.

I've used numpy before though and it's miles better to me.

Attached: __shiratsuyu_kantai_collection_drawn_by_pallad__c846fb6da8799c71f529dc05bae80976.jpg (708x1000, 104K)

post your programming socks

use matlab then.

W-why? O_o

I'd have to buy a student license. And I don't feel like doing that until I find out if Octave is completely incapable or not.
Besides, where's the difference? Is Matlab more user friendly?

Don't hijack my thread, tranny bitch

what kind of shit uni you go to if they ask you assignments in matlab and don't give you a license lmao
The difference is libraries. Matlab libraries are awesome and the documentation is GOAT. Best I've ever get to use IMO

I have no clue. I get a friggen license for ArcGIS Pro but not Matlab.

Yeah the documentation for Octave has been pretty shitty so far.

I wouldn't mind getting a student license for Matlab at all, the only thing I worry about is if I want to keep using it after I'm done with uni I'll have to buy an expensive non-student license from what I've been told.

Oh, and matlab IDE is not half bad either.
I used to use emacs because I'm a memester but I recall from the recitations the IDE had nice builtin documentation and the debugger was easy to get along with.
But I got a meme cred to protect so emacs it was

Do you use linux then?

Attached: 56735467_p02.jpg (800x1130, 285K)

then you go to a shit uni I guess. I'm sure every other undergrad in engineering has a cracked license of matlab. Back when I was an undergrad I recall everyone had a pirated version of matlab (because we didn't had to register and renew it every 6 months). Even the professor I slaved for for recommendation letters had a pirated matlab on his own macbook.
Grab one and install it in a virtual machine.

Yup. I was using ubuntu back then and it ran smoothly. matlab 2011b if I recall.

If you can't get your script to work in octave maybe coding isn't for you.

t. Used octave in uni for ME degree

Ah, I tried to use emacs on windows but some of the stuff doesn't work that well..
Do you still use Matlab now?

If I had to use windows I guess I'd use emacs there, but I don't so I won't.
I read online pdf-tools don't work on windows so that's would be a big pain in the neck.
I don't use matlab now, at least not as much.
I changed to python as it was what meme learning people use and I'm lurking them.
I've never get to use Julia but I might give it a try some day.
Last time I use matlab, it was to use the signal library because I wanted to design a FIR filter with the remez algorithm and scipy wasn't doing so good.