Multi monitor setup is a meme. I've got two monitors for a week now...

Multi monitor setup is a meme. I've got two monitors for a week now, primary in front of a keyboard and secondary slightly on the side.
Now my neck hurts and there's no real increase in productivity compared to alt-tabing.

tl;dr: don't fall for the multi monitor meme

Attached: jeff dean.png (1683x802, 2.05M)

you aren't far away from the monitors enough
my desk isn't deep enough for two monitors to work and I am too close to them, having to move my head back and forth much more and also getting neck pains. i switched back to single monitor. but it doesn't mean two monitors is a bad thing. your viewing range is smaller because the monitor is closer to you.

so you have to have big ass desk with two big ass monitors to get the same level of productivity as with one monitor on regular sized desk?

fuck this shit

multiple monitors do increase productivity in for example graphic design, you have your workspace on one monitor and references on the other

im glad that jeff dean is comfortable with one monitor, i like two but why someone would type an entire chapter about jeff dean and his one monitor is beyond me.

That's a huge 4:3 monitor, probably costs a ton and he also has gamer-tier mouse

you don't have to do anything. I'm just explaining why it most likely didn't work for you or me.
I can see a use in having one widescreen and one regular monitor as far as productivity goes. widescreens can fit multiple windows more comfortably for example. it's useful for web programing and as someone said graphic design and things like that, where as the other monitor is nicer for gaming or working in a single window. but I won't go changing everything just to try it out.

as far as productivity goes, having two monitors to look at won't necessarily make you more productive. dunno where you got that idea. sitting your ass down and working will make you more productive, there's no other way.

>mx518
probably bought it for 20 bucks a decade ago

>hurr jeff dean does X therefore doing anything but X is unproductive.
Appeal to authority. Not an argument.

Good for art

did he also implement the pro liberal bias and censoring everything that has to do with warez ?
then he can go fuck himself

This has to be a troll. I use 3 at work and still feel crowded.

>multiple monitors do increase productivity

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 6K)

Maybe it's just preference m8.

Someone who grows up with one monitor (ie Jeff Dean) is more used to the workflow that comes from using one monitor and doesn't want to bother changing his workflow to account for an extra monitor. I'm in this camp, because I've never had a dual monitor setup.

>ApPeAl To AuThOrItY

Attached: 2bg8a5.jpg (1024x576, 121K)

>if I type what he said in alternating capital letters, he'll look stupid like my favorite twitter meme!
Appeal to ridicule. Not an argument

Thank you for buying our displays Sirs

Attached: ce6.jpg (501x585, 44K)

Regardless it's just a photo of the guy sitting at some random computer on a table with a bunch of others next to it using Ubuntu with some childish trolling jabber along side it.

in my humble opinion, dual monitors only work if the monitors are not wide screen. THe monitor in op's image would be perfect as a dual monitor.

I have a wide screen asus and I wish I would split it into two monirors- is there any linux way to split one wide screen into two?

Baring that I would like a small monitor to keeep an eye on dmesg, and memory and ip connections. Like a pip boy display or something.

Attached: xbo.jpg (978x1119, 285K)

imagine thinking Jow Forums isn't satire. do you also think half these retards unironically use linux?

>productivity
Found your problem, multi-monitor setup doesn't increase productivity, it simple makes easier to have your anime fullscreened in the main screen and your chat programs (irc, xmpp) on the 2nd screen.

I work a lot with virtual VM opened.
Resizing the VM window is pain in the ass as you then need to resize all its windows. I mostly need this to have a split-screen.
Had single-monitor setup with it for few months, was an annoying experience.
Recently got 2nd monitor. One is horizontally, second vertically. This really fulfills my needs as I can put the documents on the vertical monitor (spitted horizontally if necessary) and have the VM on horizontal monitor.
And I like it.
I don't mind single monitor setup that much, but it sucks so hard with Windows (lack of sane workspaces or screen splitting) and when working with VM.

He pair programs with a pajeet, though

Attached: Dean-and-Ghemawat.jpg (660x328, 48K)

Lol, that "pajeet" could program circles around you m8.

Multi monitors are fucking useless. Built for Windows reatrds who don't know what a virtual desktop is.
90% of the time people have a Youtube vidoe playing on the other screen. Waste of time.

People don't realize that Jeff Dean is using a gigantic monitor.

t. Jeff

>implying I like my job
I have multi monitors for the purpose of being distracted while working.

I love dual monitors. Have my VM on the main screen and Windows off to the side. Perfect for me.