Solves dependency hell

>solves dependency hell
What's your excuse for not using it?

Attached: nixos-logo-only-hires.png (1183x1024, 88K)

It was never a problem.

I do use it.

It doesn't have many packages, and it helps to be familiar with functional programming. I understand why people might not use it. There will be more user friendly distros in the future that build upon the system.

I'll never go back to old style Linux distributions. Being able to perfectly roll back system changes is something almost no other OS does correctly. I can keep my whole system configuration in a git repository now. I can easily run different versions of libraries and programs at the same time.

Because GuixSD is even better

The only difference is config language and the fact that guixsd are freetards. And nix community is bigger.

I like it, but don't use it because I prefer a standard major linux distribution with Flatpak on top of it.

Attached: flatpak_master_race.png (800x585, 1021K)

>functional MIT OS

based and redpilled

Attached: sketch-1549214888378.png (1080x1440, 101K)

Don't forget Shephard

Is that a

I don't even know what software this is, but I couldn't resist posting this.

Looks like lambdas are having a wild orgy

You can't roll back your system in case an update breaks everything.

>systemd
lmao
Slackware by definition can't have dependency hell.

I've never experienced dependency hell.

Microsoft Windows doesn't have this problem

Gigashart wangblows is notorious for having this problem

>15GiBs of WinSxS later

Sure kiddo.

NixOS uses systemd but I'm thinking about implementing an alternative, it's possible.

I'm using some nix packages. But I'm rather unhappy with the CLI utilities. They're just not all that good at providing relevant information. And they generally don't have particularly smooth syntax / nice functionality.

I'm accustomed to things like eix, paludis show or the various git commands.
nix-env -qas and all those are both sparse in information and awkward to use.

Honestly I've just resorted to reading the source code. The UX needs major work for sure

what makes Nix better than Apt?

But i use Slackware.

I wish it was a priority for the Nix devs.

The packages and stuff are okay enough for now, but that CLI really sucks quite a bit to work with.

Gentoo solved it better

Attached: 1524574073599.png (1280x800, 1.13M)

gentoo solved nothing

Portage is a straight downgrade

AppImage is superior.
A distro that cannot keep its base packages stable is a failed distro (looking at Arch).

In the last ten years my Gentoo install did not break once.

Appimage and snaps also solve it.

Has more packages.

Made ports better in every way, even compared to portsmanagers. Solved dependency hell by allowing multiple sets of the same dependencies, even with different compile flags if you really wanted.
Gentoo is BASED and BLUEPILLED.

Attached: 1524608125200.jpg (914x1080, 553K)

GuixSD is better -- otherwise I would use it.

I wouldn't count package count as an advantage on a system where a package being official doesn't guarantee binary compatibility with any possible system configuration.

The problem NixOS and GUIXSD solve isn't dependency hell either. It's purely functional systems, where the same configuration always results in exactly the same operating system. That the issue of dependency hell vanishes in such a system is just a small consequence of the overall improvements to the system.

There are infrastructure-as-code solutions for managing huge amounts of production servers where you declare systems in code and apply them to actual machines. GUIXSD and NixOS are like that, except the operating system is entirely built around the idea and is executed in a way where state-related errors are literally impossible.

CUS I'm usin qubes os nigga
It also solves dep hell watch this:
>need to use a thing
>compile it on my dispoosable vm
>inject copious amounts of funroll-loops
>errors out the ass
>turns out I installed the wrong shit since fedora uses devel instead of dev like fuck
>boot up my 1000mb max archlinux qube instead
>pacman breaks the attosecond I launch it
>ohgodwhy.jpeg
>reboot Everything
>type in my 24 char encryption pass and login to to see passwordless root break

Nvm just use nixos I guess also Joanna is a granny tranny

Attached: unknown-11.png (551x462, 61K)

>systemd
/thread

What's unstable about Arch? It's rolling release just like Gentoo.

If you want TRUE LTS, use a BSD. Its the only one that distinguishes between the system and user-installed programs.

Attached: 19222640_p0.jpg (1143x1600, 711K)

Arch is unstable because you HAVE to do a
pacman -Syyu before you install any package. This is because otherwise you'd be doing a "partial upgrade" which can break you system.
This means installing a package can require you to reboot your system because you ended up needing to install a new kernel. Very inefficient.
With Gentoo, when you upgrade a single package you still build that new package against the rest of your machine. So you can do an incremental upgrade. This is why rolling release should only be source based.

*blocks your path*

Attached: Guix_System_Distribution_logo.svg.png (1200x1069, 66K)

No, Gentoo and Arch both update and install packages the same way.

>no lvm support
>no proper fde support
>no encrypted swap
>has been a requested feature since at least 2009

Are you clinically retarded or just an arch user (i.e. clinically retarded)?

Literally never needed to. This isn't windows.