Install void

install void

Attached: d5a7ffba3ccc8575a4fb53080d876c5c.png (250x206, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/xtraeme
smarden.org/runit/
github.com/void-linux/void-packages/commits/master
slackware.com/~vbatts/2011_SELF/2011_SELF.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

But I did

Attached: fetchg.png (1360x768, 1.56M)

I did and I will shot, but neofetch it's been broken for a while if I do not use --ascii flag.

Is it really that good

Better.

How big of a meme is it really?
I've got a X200s coming in soon and I'm thinking of doing a dwm setup on it, just deciding between gentoo and void for distro.
I know that one of the devs has gone missing somewhere but is there anything else about it that's bad?

Based wallpaper

Dev realized he was bloat so he removed himself. The Distro is fine.

>ponyOS

>devs has gone missing
it seems as though he's returned.
github.com/xtraeme

I used this for a while until shit broke for no reason after an update, network manager lost its permissions, wallpaper and bar panel disappeared, if you want support with this distro you have to go to their irc or maybe their subreddit. What's a better rolling release distro that I don't have to compile everything from source like gentoo?

void and IQ>89

Botnet and bloated.

Install Gentoo.

did they find the dev?

Attached: 1510161624035.jpg (310x310, 18K)

I know you're probably memein but I do already have gentoo on one of my other thinkpads already so I do want to try Void. Will probably end up with gentoo on it though.

I had the same problem with the wifi but instead of trying to find the source of the problem I just installed opensus

>no devs
>no packages
>only redeeming quality is no systemdick
you tell me

Peak comfy

Attached: 31_Jan_2019.png (1920x1080, 1.07M)

Window manager?

herbstluft

I don't like that the logo font is the same as Opus codec.

how is it better than artix if i want an edgy >no systemd distro?

Tell me when it devs get libglvnd to work.

what are the pros of using void rather than installing arch and installing runit over systemd

If you're comfy with gentoo don't use void.

Arch packages have all options enabled, making everything as big as possible. You can never remove systemd from a distro that isn't built without systemd from the ground up.

That thing is just like Arch in 2008.

It's nothing like Arch.

Do the musl version support steam?

I installed both on my Thinkpad and had less problems on void. Things like qutebrowser or i3-gaps are already in the repos. On antix I had to go with the testing repos and compile i3-gaps

what doesn't work with musl, and is it possible to install glibc stuff alongside musl stuff?

All these years later a ponyfag surfaces

I'd like to install a version with i3 for muh minimalism but Im too lazy to rice. Is there an easy way of having something like a manjaro i3 experience out of the box?

>ponyos

void is a distro to avoid

install anything else as long as it has systemd

Maybe, but why?

Void and awesomewm.

ok, i've been meaning to.

Based window manager

>A R T I X
>A N T I X
what did you saw?

What do you need that bloat for, user?

Am I able to get away with using glibc+busybox without breaking anything?
Not using the coreutils but still relying on glibc seems like a sane choice between removing GNU bloat and usability.

I have it installed on one of my laptops, had issues though like trackpoint not working or being detected sometimes when I boot up etc.

>using a wm about to drop xft fonts

what people around the Internet are saying about void

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-04 Void Linux Into the Void Hacker News.png (1509x473, 64K)

he just been hiding from the pottering death squad for the entire 2018 that's all

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-04 r linux - Enter the Void Linux .png (794x781, 102K)

via flatpak, yes (not tested myself but the website says its possible)

just to address the last sentence of this kde5now in repos, and theres a big effort to make new docs going on right now

this cerebral tweet really made me think. what about you?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-04 Enter the void.png (360x132, 9K)

no thanks, I like Arch's logo more

Attached: .jpg (130x130, 3K)

Void is better arch but its still shit. The best distro is gentoo.

based wallaper, is that DWM?

Seconding this. Void is comfy and stable, somewhat like Slackware, or how Debian used to be.

more like aVoid lol, amirite guys?

is Void logo a Pokéball?

But I already have. It really is the best one out there.

What's up with systemd? To me it was simply a way of managing what services are running and sending comfy signals to either start, restart, or suspend the computer.

What do I lose by letting it go? I like arch a lot. I'd like to know what I'd be gaining/losing from dropping systemd.

For optimus setup of course. It's the only thing holding me off from moving to void. Don't tell me to use nouveau because the peformance on it is dogshit.

gain: sense of smug self-satisfaction
lose: a reliable init system

I won't, cause it is. I'm using the nvidia driver without any problems.

You can argue that runit is much more reliable.

they weren't kidding with the "boots real fast" thing
booted the mate livecd in a vm, opened a terminal, synced repos/installed htop (because i don't know how else to get uptime in seconds), and ran htop
and it still only took 37 seconds

Attached: a.png (1030x820, 132K)

>Very few hooks to jump through if you have something to contribute
Yeah, especially with ungoogled-chromium, becase FUCK browsers, right? Who needs those?
t. retard devs

>boots lightning fast with an initramfs
I wonder why that's even needed, if you don't even have FDE or something. Boot process could be so much faster without it.. I wonder if it can be disabled somehow. Did anyone try this?

>LibreSSL for everything instead of OpenSSL
Why did I end up with OpenSSL installed after a base install with some Xorg packages and mpv anyway? I get the feeling that most of the software I install from the repos would still use that somehow. Or am I in the wrong here?

Runit is fantastic. It is super easy to write an init script, although everything that needs one in the repos has it. Getting status of services, as well as starting and stopping them is very simple.
smarden.org/runit/
All runit is, is an init and service supervisor. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, runit is very fast.

It is trivial to create and maintain a package in the repos. Add whatever you want.

an initramfs just makes things more flexible, it doesn't make much sense to ship a huge kernel binary with tons of modules built into it, when you can instead ship a small one, and have users build an initramfs with just the modules they need
if you want to build a kernel image with the modules you need to access your root disk (and it doesn't need anything fancy like an encryption passphrase to access), then you can indeed drop your initramfs

-- put simply, the goal of the iniramfs is to;
1. mount your real root as the rootfs (chroot into it)
2. run init
if you can do that using only what's in your kernel image, you don't need an initramfs

Nvidia proprietary driver overwrite Xorg's libgl when installed. That's why on an optimus setup, if you start X with intel while nvidia is installed, GLX won't work. Libglvnd was created to solve this.
But obviously this isn't a problem if you only use nvidia.

>install dead OS
why would you do dis

Not dead. They had a problem with a missing founder but that is already resolved. Take a look at github.com/void-linux/void-packages/commits/master to see how active it is.

I use openindiana. Surely it can't be deader than that?

void certainly is very comfy. too bad it's a little too bare bones for my needs

t. bloat nigger

libressl works as an almost drop in replacement — the binary is called openssl

Noel is that you?

Does anyone know what happened to xtraeme?
Nobody ever talked of him again, right?

See

>wow

Attached: The-Windows-Vista-Wow-is-Dead-R-I-P-2[1].png (500x375, 293K)

this one says it all really

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-04 Enter the void(1).png (360x98, 7K)

How do I gpu passthrough without systemd?

Just fucking install slackware you retarded zoomers

this is some next level shitposting
this shouldn't have made me laugh

>mate
based

>packages from the jurassic era
no thanks grampa

-current you dumb fuck
also slackbuilds come from upstream anyway
there is no simpler distro than slackware. the fucking init system is just a bunch of scripts that you mark executable

I'll pass on the GNU garbage. Thanks for the offer though.

FRIENDLY REMINDER TO INSTALL SLACKWARE LINUX

Attached: 6a00d8341bf6cb53ef010535356793970b-800wi.png (350x339, 147K)

Dwm repo? Really like your config

based
slackware.com/~vbatts/2011_SELF/2011_SELF.pdf

see

LARBS

its actually quite UNIX like in its approach and will prepare one for BSD

>current
nah. slackbuilds has old ass packages. main reason i don't use it. runit > sysv anyway.

Why not just start using a BSD instead? Don't see any reason to rummage in a pile of trash before ascending to using a decent OS.

because I like MULTImedia, not just videos

I'll attempt to compile my own kernel with all the modules I need and write my own init script then. I suppose I could just adapt the initramfs one, right? The thought of 1 second boot time makes me drool.
Oh, so it's fully backwards compatible? That explains the openssl binary then. I'm relieved.

>It is trivial to create and maintain a package in the repos
The point I was making is that they don't accept browsers.

CUDA when?

I have Void installed on an old thinkpad and it runs well there, with the exception of the one time I had to reinstall because audio stopped working for reasons I couldn’t figure out. I want to install it on my new laptop, but getting nvidia under control on it took way too much effort under Arch and I don’t want to go through that again with a distro with no documentation and a somewhat hostile support IRC. Also, what said. The devs are way too autistic about what they will or won’t let into the official repos. Not to mention that even making a package is annoying because of the lack of docs for xbps-src.