Mom asks me to shop a laptop for her that will be good for her graphic design work

>Mom asks me to shop a laptop for her that will be good for her graphic design work
>Linux out of the question -- Needs Adobe Suite
>She's mainly a Mac user, decided to switch her to Windows to help her gain some perspective, at least one nudge
>Find a laptop that is normally 1800 for about 1300.
>7th Gen i7-7700HQ processor
>16GB RAM
>512GB PCe SSD
>15.6-inch 4k Infinity Edge Touch Display IPS
>Windows 10 64-bit

My mom comes to me and exclaims: "I HATE MY COMPUTER I LOVE MY 10 YEAR OLD MAC YOU PUT AN SSD IN!"

"Mom, why?"

"BECAUSE MY EMAIL DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE!"

"In Outlook?"

>Turns out iCloud is required to go through apple id gateway on Windows computer which my mom uninstalled causing her email to no longer work
>Have to reinstall iCloud and Windows.

I would like some thoughts. I picked out the computer for her. What are some words you would tell my mom?

Attached: 71xuuIhlLAL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 96K)

Fuck your hot asshole with a old wooden bat.

Send nudes

What a dumb whore. Take away install & uninstall rights from her

She needs to be able to be proficient on her computer. I'm trying to help her.

Should have bought her a Mac you fucking retard

"Dude, you're using a Dell"

>What are some words you would tell my mom?

"I was a total dipshit who thought you'd enjoy learning a totally new OS instead of just actually sticking with what you know and like. I'll eat the cost of buying you a new mac and then handle the return/refund for this other one. I apologize for being a clueless fucking idiot, mom."

I think you'll be fine with Dell XPS 15, the one with 1050 Ti and 4k. Its 2k so prepare

Much higher IQ than what you'd expect from Jow Forums, look no further than these posts

Return it and get her a mac holy shit.
If she's trying to do ACTUAL WORK, GRAPHIC DESIGN WORK, DONT CHANGE THE USER'S WORKFLOW.
don't bother trying to push her to Linux, dude. At least not like that. Jesus. Autism.

Next time, give the user what suits their needs, not your political stance and/or ego.

Go buy her a Mac and tell her you are sorry for being such a memetard.

Well stated.

The reason why we elected to get a Windows PC instead of a Mac was because she wanted a laptop with very high specs, something that was going to cost $2500 for it. So I tried to find some refurb Macs and she saw some videos by Louis Rossman and decided it was best to get a Windows computer + specs that was justified in the cost. I ended up finding the laptop in OP post and had a better screen than any mac laptop on the market. I tried to get her a mac but the prices wasn't congruent.

>Dear Mother, oh giver of life, I prostrate myself before you begging forgiveness for the grievances thou hast brought before me.

Oh, well if she was being cheap and actually asked for you to get her an XPS, you say:

> Shut up, you cheap cunt, you're the one who say a fucking video on youtube and gambled with your cash. I can't believe you listened to fucking Rossman. Now shut up and eat it like you eager gobble down black cock.

HTH

shoulda got what she wanted. she even told you what it was. Was a few more weeks of saving (or financing the thing) not an option?

Both parents had laptops that constantly overheated, then they bought new ones, wait a year for the internals to melt, buy a new one for years and years wasting money and having shit user experience.
They didn't even use them as laptops but as desktop replacements on cord so their batteries were gone soon anyway.

Then I literally said fuck you to the constant bitching about computers having problems and got my mom an used W-series Thinkpad and built a desktop PC for my dad.

Mom's used Thinkpad had i7, enough ram, SSD, IPS, etc. First she thought it was ugly but when it just worked, worked and worked without problems she started to warm up to it.

For dad I built a silent and cool PC, mainly focused on case, cooler and fans as it didn't need major power. Some would say it has unnecessary expensive case and full noctua isn't worth it as it isn't for gaming but it needs to be 110% stable and ooze of external quality. It's a very mild build but every part is the best.
Built it together as he watched and took detailed pictures and videos of the process that he later likes to watch from the PC. It doesn't even make noise when you turn it on and it's always room temperate, made it so he can see the temperature and other statistics from the desktop, as the previous laptops overheated he appreciates it.

With old people everything only needs to reliable.

This. OP, you fucked up and need to fix your mistake. You were a retard that tried to force a boomer into learning a new operating system and disrupted her workflow. Try really hard to imagine that you were employed and someone forced you to completely change your workflow on your work PC. Bite the bullet and buy her a Mac. You just learned a $2,600 lesson.

OP still should get a Mac for his mom. You don't convert old people back from it.

Thought the story was worth to share.

You sound like a massive dick trying to force what you believe in on someone else instead of finding something that would work for them. Also, cross-platform services are nothing new, does this concept scare you for some reason? Is your tiny Linux brain only capable of comprehending how a single OS and service works at one time? Good luck finding a job with such a narrow viewpoint.

amen

Should have installed Gentoo on that laptop.

What a stupid fucking excuse. No boomer parent should have administrative rights on any system.

Attached: 1547788115009.jpg (750x583, 57K)

>which my mom uninstalled causing her email to no longer work
Make sure to hammer in 100% that this was her own fault, or she will blame every little thing on you for switching her away from her toyOS.

Attached: 1522019152093.jpg (960x720, 132K)

>graphic design work
If you invest a device for WORK, you don't compromise and get an unfamiliar platform. You are letting your mom shoot herself in the foot

>decided to switch her to Windows to help her gain some perspective
You’re retarded.

This. I took it away from all my family

Some parents need parental control on computer.
I mean, it is named like that for a reason.

get her what she wants faggot if she wants a mac get her a mac

As much as I don't like Apple, this is true. People who aren't good with tech will only get angry when everything is different.

>be me
>receive a mac as a gift
>take 2 weeks learning how to use it without recurring to the help docs
Was I the only one that found Macs unintuitive for Windows or Linux users?

>she saw some videos by Louis Rossman and decided it was best to get a Windows computer + specs that was justified in the cost.
More like YOU saw, eh?

So how’d she know an SSD would make a world or difference in an old machine?

>he thinks Rossman likes winshit any better
hahahah

the only reason to get a high end windows machine is if you're a gaymur, and low-end windows if you're poor and incompetent, a mac if you're normal, and linux if you're a programmer/anyone not an incompetent toddler

Wow some surprisingly good advice for Jow Forums. I thought everyone would support OP at first.

/thread
always put retards in their place when they try to blame you for something they intentionally broke

>wants a $2500 computer
>doesn't know how to run outlook on it

why are boomers so utterly retarded?

Tell her she's a dumb whore who should stop choking on black cock , she wanted a WIndows compiter so she should deal with it

I know this sounds mean and isn't the advice you're looking for but..

generally when someone asks you to show anything for them, specially a laptop, the answer is
>I don't know much about computers (or whatever they are looking for).
You are now in a situation where you're forever tech support and even warranty provider for that laptop. Learn from this mistake.

It would be sort of messed up if his mom didn't already know about her son's dream of being an IT help desk monkey. I don't think you can plausibly hide that.

OPs mom is a hot milf who hangs out on /gd/. Shes down with this sort of stuff, just, acts a bit stupid to give OP the chance to be not-retard every now and again

>graphics design work
>on a fucking laptop monitor

what the fuck?

Couldve just gone with a cheap 600 bux i5 7200 or whatever the fuck and then an external screen

cant 'work' in Starbucks then, but, can you
agreed tho, laptop for /gd/ is fucking insanity, definiton of. And no, IDGAF 'how good' MBP screens are or similar BS

Fuck your mum with my dick

I built my entire pc with $1500. Who the fuck buys a laptop for graphic design work?

Non-tech geeks who think laptops replaced desktops. Literally over half the population thinks this way. They also think tablets are stronger/faster than a high end smartphone (bigger is better lmao merrrrrica).

I just can't even fucking imagine spending that much money of a fucking laptop. What a waste, especially since he bought it for his boomer mom who clearly doesn't even understand how to work an email.
And honestly, I have a tablet. I know it's not even close to as quick as a smart phone, and I bought it just to use it for comics and manga.

>"You should have had an abortion"

Macs are very unintuitive for Windows users but I think some distros like Ubuntu are pretty similar to macs

>wants a $2500 computer
>buys a $1300 computer
>disappointed