Opinions on Rust

I think it’s cool as fuck.

On average same speed as c++, thread safe, memory safe, helpful compiler, friendly community.

LITERALLY FUTURE.

Attached: 7E31AC8E-153A-4C4A-9606-0D247DFF9BA9.png (1200x1112, 463K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rust-lang-nursery.github.io/edition-guide/rust-2018/cargo-and-crates-io/cargo-check-for-faster-checking.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a good try. It really needs to get a faster compiler, though. And a second, GCC-based compiler.

Compilation speeds for Rust isn't fast as C compilers, but is definitely faster than C++ compilers.

how is the gui support? i.e. qt, gtk, etc. bindings? does it "just werk" or do you have to go through a bunch of hoops to get it to compile on linux/windows/mac?

I support this language being the next main programming language of choice for system programmers and general application development. With my support being known, I know Rust's future as King in the near future is dubious at best. C++ was suppose to be the successor to C and it is, but there are plenty of people out there in the world living with us mind you, that still use C!

My opinion is that it's a bit of a weak NIH variant on C++.

It'd have been amazing to have this language at the time when LLVM didn't exist, GCC was half-assed, Windows was dominant, C++ stagnated and Microsoft's shit stack took over for superior Borland tooling when Borland fucked up.

Now that C++ is moving at a good pace again, I don't really see the point. But to each their own.

I stopped writing it because the compiler and Cargo is too slow. I don't give a shit how good the language is if it takes 15 minutes+ to compile an average size project.

Compilation speeds have improved for me since the last few months. If I recall correctly, it was around the same time I got a newer desktop setup.

You would have a point if people actually used those new features and the old parts were being deprecated. At best you have some disgusting inconsistent mix of C++11 and C++98.

This would dramatically improve the quality of the language by folds. Unfortunately, the standard committee does not see this and opts to keep the crusted shit to keep C++ backwards compatible with code that uses a previous standard.

I've compiled quite a lot of C++14 on my Gentoo recently in the process of simply deploying software I wanted to use - so yes, people are using it.

That not all code gets rapdily rewritten in the latest language revision is normal. It also won't happen with Rust.

I've used it within the last few months, it's still too slow. And they just keep adding more and more features that will inflate compile times further. If they don't start addressing this, the language will die. There's no question.

I almost agree with you, however, while individuals like ourselves may not use the language due to its potentially increasing compilation times, others may choose to use it and other people may come along and decide use it. Several Rust advocates have already begun to purposefully lie about C/C++ in order to enhance the presentation of Rust.

Anything is faster than C++ compilers.

Isn't it possible to just typecheck instead of doing a full compilation with: cargo check? (I never used rust before, just read that online)

Gentoo user again. Not really, clang is rather speedy, and gcc also got faster.

Strictly speaking, I think the last major speed boost I noticed was the linkers no longer taking forever. Either way, now it's actually often the legacy ./configure shit that takes half the compile time of software.

IMO the balance between compile speed, language features, and compile-time optimization is there & C++ compilers are doing just fine.

Yeah.
rust-lang-nursery.github.io/edition-guide/rust-2018/cargo-and-crates-io/cargo-check-for-faster-checking.html

bad, and getting better. That is the story for many rust libraries currently.

The current GUI libraries are don't have a very good "rusty" style, since the borrow checker makes this hard to do.

I also think it's cool, and it has a lot of potential to be great. That being said it could still crash and burn (although i think that is unlikely).

I know the impetus for creating bindings for a library that is popular and mature but Rust is entirely different animal to most other languages. Maybe the best way to go is to create a Rust GUI library from scratch.

>Maybe the best way to go is to create a Rust GUI library from scratch.
This is totally doable. You know all those single-page web all frameworks like Yew? Take one of those and modify it so instead of pushing HTML to the DOM it's building a tree of custom drawing primitives. Then do your own layout and rendering.
This is how the Dart people made Flutter. You can do it too. All you need is as much manpower and funding as Google can give you.

Is there anything from stopping it becoming as fast as C# compilers? (With optimizations disabled.)

I don't know as I've only used C# very briefly.

is it worth learning or is it just a meme

Probably worth learning. It is probable that one day it will become bigger than it already is.

yes

Java, then?

Sorry, I had a brief fling with Java, too.

damn

The comparison I can really make is with C and C++ compilers.

You didn't join the real and active Official Fitness Server on Dis cord yet??
Advice on routine and posture advice, motivate each other, awesome stories, feels, food pics recipes and diet checks, fasting, etc.
Self improvement, nofap, powerlifting, fraud (steroids), martial arts, current body thread, injury prevention, etc.
We also have some fun channels like memes.
For those who want more adventure, we have a contest: post a pic in begin of the month, and one at the end. Then users vote and the winner gets prize money!

We accept people from all fitness levels: fat, average or athletic. As long as you are encouraging and motivating you are most welcome!

dis cord (dot) gg / v3wR7nr

not using static dispatch
it's the slowest part of C++ compilation as well

What the fuck is this?

Could it become as fast as compiling C?

Not sure. It could, but just like said: if they don't address certain issues then it might never happen.

nice larp
That's a bummer.

How does dlang archive it?

I don't use dlang and have no idea what it's realistic compile times are. Haven't managed to find any comparisons neither.

With all due respect mr user, you must snort cocaine by the ton if you think anyone is going to duplicate rust's borrow checker