X220

Is my laptop enough to go to college? I own a x220 i5 model. I'm going to WGU

:( halp user

Attached: 1547954898955.png (2518x1236, 523K)

Also depends on what you're doing in college, answer is it'll probably be good enough but you're not giving much to go on.
Also take this to the thinkpad thread please.

How many RAM gigs? Full specs pls.

>is my 8 year old chinkpad good enough to use microsoft office?

i5 2520 4gb of RAM no storage needs a new keyboard, costs about 90 for 512 gb of ssd storage and a new keyboard ($20 + $60) I got an offer from a guy for $60 for a new x230 with no storage and I can just pop the ram out of this one. But he's not replying on his emails.

are you sure because like I'm almost sure that its not related to a thinkpad thread but I will its more can you run it.

is that really all we do in college

> not related to a thinkpad thread but I will its more can you run it.
Yes and a thread full of thinkpad users will generally know if a thinkpad is good enough to do X. X220 is a pretty common one too. But it's whatever now that this has gotten replies.

But you really need to specify what you're using it for in college. If it's just for word processing then it'll work fine. Would definitely upgrade the RAM regardless though, 4gb is pretty low.

I feel like its not but what do I know. Its just MS office. Do you know where I can buy MS office cheap?

Surely your school provides it for you?
If not then use libreoffice.
If it absolutely has to be office then you should be able to pick up a license for $5 or something from ebay.

Take notes on paper, you'll retain more information that way.

If you will only use it as a client or to spin off small VMs, word processing, web browsing, etc you'll be fine. I would recommend what is saying. More ram would make it more usable for development and DBA tasks. Anyways the more RAM the better. x220 is a solid model Jow Forums approved.

>Cherry MX
>Good
It's honestly worse than rubber domes.

I use an x220 with 8gb ram, an i5 and two ssds with a total of 750gb of storage. If you're going into computer science then yes, it's all you're going to need. You can compile LaTeX, write your notes in some markup and put it in a dick to sync up when you're at home. I can recommend it for all purposes.
t. bought an x220 2 years ago and loving it
Cherrys are honestly not the best mechanical switches you can get, but they're miles ahead of everything rubbery. The best switches currently available are Kailh box navy blue in my opinion. Also buckling spring is uncomfortable and overrated as fuck.

You can tell a virgin made this "meme".

>but they're miles ahead of everything rubbery
topre senpai

Own X200 with 4GB RAM and SSD.
Unable to install botnet OS because Libreboot.
Have no problem doing uni stuff.

>is that really all we do in college
If you're going to do something resource intensive you're likely to do it in a computer class

Other than that its basically taking notes

Personally I recommend notepad++

>If you're going to do something resource intensive you're likely to do it in a computer class
It doesn't take that much resources to compile things honestly, especially class projects.

what are u fucking smoking brother. College... to do WHAT. That's the fucking question

Running graphics intensive simulations? take your 4gb ram and fuck your ass with it

Just coding web browsing watching movies using IDEs and not-particularly-computationally-intensive activities? OBVIOUSLY it's going to work. holy fuck. fuck you

this, but with 8GB.

I have an i5 X220

I ditched the mechanical harddrive and swapped it out with a kingston SSD.

Stick a bit more RAM in, change the thermal paste and clean out the fan and you have a solid machine.

X220 with an SSD and maxed out RAM will survive forever. If you need more power for some specific task you shouldn't be using a laptop anyway. Also you have a better keyboard than anyone else using a laptop.

In my experience the x220 has awful battery life, a dim, grainy screen and overheats really easily.

If the battery life is OK it should be good enough, though.

Sounds like I lucked out by getting X230 with IPS and brand new larger battery.

The battery is luck of the draw imo, mine lasts about 2:30

Haven't had it over heat yet