Really excited for this thing, $200 for a bunch of nice garbage

really excited for this thing, $200 for a bunch of nice garbage

liliputing.com/2019/01/pinebook-pro-linux-laptop-coming-this-year-for-199-and-up.html

Attached: pinebook-pro.jpg (667x500, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/669022/
liliputing.com/2019/01/pinebook-pro-linux-laptop-coming-this-year-for-199-and-up.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why not just buy a used thinkpad that would be better for less

dunno, the thought of a new laptop kind of scratches my itch

It seems like a nice device to experiment with ARM on. Along with the older pinebooks which are much cheaper. I kinda want one.

>Along with the older pinebooks which are much cheaper.
>Small numbers (1-3) of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect.
enjoy your fucked pixels

>10,000mAh battery
>mobile processor

this thing is about to have a battery life of 20 years.

>1920x1080 14"
stop
just give me a 1280x800 IPS 14" so I don't have to scale anything since scaling is completely broken everywhere

>1280x800
Holy fuck no, that's about as bad as 1366x768 abominations.
Also get your eyes checked, you shouldn't be needing to scale that.

>not using gods intended 16:9 aspect ratio

>not using the superior 4:3 aspect ratio

I can't see shit on a 14" 1080p display and neither can you
stop pretending
768p or 800p is the perfect resolution for that size for a laptop

isn't that 640x480?

>I can't see shit on a 14" 1080p display and neither can you
not everybody has boomer eyes user, I quite enjoy the 14" 1080p display I have

>His eyes are bad
That's fine but there's no need for you to want other people to have to suffer with your garbage resolutions. I use a 1080p 15" and a 1440x900 13" (so the equivalent would be 1550x970 at 14") and both of them are perfectly readable with no scaling. Also have a 14" 1600x900 at work (there wasn't a 14" 1080p thinkpad at the time) and guess what, it's easily readable.

I want hawkeyed zoomers out of this thread
18+ only

Attached: 1410235753468.gif (300x169, 746K)

stop washing your eyes with tyrone's semen you cuck
sure 12" 1080p might need scaling but 14" 1080p is perfectly fine without scaling

>mali gpu
No opengl, how well is opengl es supported in DEs? I think KDE supports it?
It honestly sounds good if they don't fuck up power management support somehow

May as well use a damn rpi3. No OpenGL/Vulkan so any wm/de you run is going to tear and perform like shit.

Battery life?
Free drivers?
Firmware blobs?

If I want just a 200-300 dollar laptop to play old video games on (warcraft 3) what should I get?

Best thinkpad you can afford
It will shit itself trying to run newer stuff but the modern ones will run old stuff just fine

Is newegg a good place to get refurbished ones? No good used electronic places near me

ebay
go to /tpg/
read the guide,consult the anons therein

>Firmware blobs?
Yes, for GPU and probably also other stuff
It supposedly supports vulkan, and I believe some DEs and chrome support opengl es acceleration

Newer parts.

Most laptops have shit sized screens ay.

Pinebook has no Wintel botnet.

Apple has the same policy.

>Pinebook has no Wintel botnet.
Instead it has ARM/Mali/Rockchip and whatever else they put in that SoC and the BLOBs botnet

Still better than Wintel botnet.

I don't trust rockchip, they were the ones who did this:
lwn.net/Articles/669022/

Just get thinkpads.
The companies act like they cant make a laptop that last for a week on battery. All u have to do is use really good carbon or.plastic as the shell and put the motherboard behind the screen. That way, you can build a durable hinge that doesnt wobble, and put most of the battery under the keyboard.
There needs to be an efficient solution for dedicated gpu, but isnt the top priority. Just having a killer 4-8 thread cpu at >3.6 ghz is good enough.
They act like an open air laptop is bad but there are no drawbacks unless u are an idiot who spills shit.
Make it totally open with tons of heatsinks and grills to further increase cooling and battery efficiency.
Who gives a shit about ports, thats not why u get a laptop in the first place. U get usb, thats it.
I would think that this board would have finally decided that laptops shouldnt be user friendly but more of, "if ur buying this, u know wtf ur doing"
Instead people still start windows threads and garbage ass razer blade gaymer rgb shit. I shouldnt feel ashamed to peruse Jow Forums
Pic related is the king of hacker laptops

Attached: 22763.jpg (901x768, 74K)

>Freetards can't into calendars
lmao

No user, it's the hardware that is wrong and which linux has to correct. Inb4 "i was just pretending to be retarded, freetard".

New thinkpads don't even let you swap the wifi card or flash a modded bios that allows doing that.

>Hardware that is wrong
>Freetards use wrong hardware and take extra steps software-side to correct it
>But OTHER people are the retards
LMAO FREETARDS ARE HILARIOUS
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 1548034014029.png (659x628, 352K)

no trackpoint wont buy it

yeah you can you retard, they stopped since 2015.

There's literally nothing wrong with this.

Attached: file.png (289x141, 86K)

The only time I heard this was in the lenovo forum where some random dude claimed that. The lenovo support dude denied that in the post after that one.
Please show some source for that.

>WANTING a smaller resolution
>for scaling, of all things
Yikes and cringe pilled. What garbage software are you using that doesn't comply to 1080p in 2k + 19? I can get obscure window managers to be legible on my laptop with a 2160p display. What's stopping you, exactly?

>RK3399
Fucking Atom is better than this shit.

Was looking at that as well lol. That's a badass office, travel machine

>no LAN port
the fuk

I might get this just for fun even when I don't need it, but does it only come with US keyboard or are there options? I need a Finnish/Swedish keyboard.

>really excited for this thing, $200 for a bunch of nice garbage
>liliputing.com/2019/01/pinebook-pro-linux-laptop-coming-this-year-for-199-and-up.html
It's not a freedom laptop so not really worth the slowness. I'll wait for risc 5 laptop with the same specs in a few years

looks like an even poorere fag version of rpi

>gpu
see panfrost
>other stuff
802.11ac wifi means blob, but there are always dongles
I'm waiting to hear if it uses coreboot, u-boot, or something else

define freedom laptop
this one would be perfect with wifi-n and coreboot + grub2 payload
rockchips mainlines their work
their trustzone firmware is open source