Why do people share their personal data?

i.e Spotify.

It's just a music service ffs and they collect everything. And people sign up and PAY for this shit.

Why? Fucking WHY?

spotify.com/us/legal/privacy-policy/

spotify.com/us/legal/end-user-agreement/?language=en&country=us

Attached: spotify.jpg (3500x2333, 1.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

lite.qwant.com/?t=web&q=why is privacy important
eff.org/deeplinks/2013/11/busting-eight-common-excuses-nsa-surveillance
theregister.co.uk/2015/08/21/spotify_worse_than_the_nsa/
joellehman.com/playlist/
spotmybackup.com/
github.com/caseychu/spotify-backup
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've got nothing to hide, why should I care?

Ok give me your cred card number, security pin, and expiration date. I just want to see how much money you have and what transactions you've made. I mean, you've got nothing to hide, am I right?

It's, not the same thing and you know it. I don't mind if a company in America has my personal data but that doesn't mean I'll grand them access to my savings.

>sperging out so much about privacy
you are a literal cancer
sage

Music-payfags btfo once again

Attached: wheeze.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

Convinience

lite.qwant.com/?t=web&q=why is privacy important

Hello, I'm a company from America.
May I have your First Name, your Last Name, your email, your email password, your address, your zip code, your current exact location, some audio recordings from your microphone when you are unaware and minimum 50 photos of your face? I mean, you said that you're ok with american companies getting your personal info, and I'm an american company!

I don’t have a mic or a webcam. I can’t allow you do that.

If you think you can live in modern America and not have this happen to you, you are terribly deluded. It's inescapable, and I've stopped caring. Not even RMS is safe, sorry to say.

What do I get in return?

If you install Spotify it literally configures itself to launch on login so it's always running in the background, too. Whatcha' doin' there little Spotify in the background app?

>companies push botnet on people
>welp might as well plug in all the info everybody wants, no sense fighting it
low effort shillposting faggot

Good thing I don't stream music.

why do we need this thread every 6 hours? are piratefags really this desperate to have their preferences validated by anonymous strangers?

www.stallman.org/spotify

I like how it made me discover some music I never would've found otherwise, but it recently stopped being good at that and I thought about dropping it.

Is there a tool to export Spotify playlists?

Name a better alternative

>I have nothing to hide
here's proof that you would prefer to hide your personal information
>w-well it's different cause I trust big brother more than I do the average person!

like fucking clockwork

save your music as an actual file on your device, retard.

Attached: 1548203027906.gif (288x377, 1.83M)

botnet

>save 5GB worth of music on your phone
alternatevily
>set up your own stream service at home despite garbage upload speed

>qwant
Literal botnet that gives your data to employers
Use startpage, or searx

Attached: Screenshot_20190204-003602_IceCatMobile.png (2048x1268, 413K)

Torrents do not have this problem

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Oh no they track that I listened to 69 3000 times

>oh no they know which music I listen to

who cares

they kinda make it hard to find good music because they make you listen to the same shit over and over agin with their le epic tailored algorithms but that's the same problem with everything these days

Unless you use an iPhone this isn't a problem.

imagine being this much of a retarded nigger and still making THIS FUCKING ARGUMENT
eff.org/deeplinks/2013/11/busting-eight-common-excuses-nsa-surveillance

I just saved this image from the other thread and already have fucking use for it fuck you

Attached: 1549255178985.png (500x485, 166K)

Whatever helps you sleep at night pedo

>Literally not having a phone with an SD card slot in any year
For what purpose? Also if you must, you can save files to your computer and set up your own streaming service. It's "too complicated" for most retards who can't read though, which unfortunately is easily 90% of mobile phone users.

/thread

Oh, fuck off. This is only if you create an account which isn't necessary. It also runs without Javascript and cookies. So, how exactly are you going to get tracked?

Attached: 2619.png (1001x1715, 188K)

It's not just that.

I see you're not doubling down and playing dumb.

I love big brother
Thank you for watching over me spotify overlords

People don't value privacy since it's more convenient to surrender and sperg out platitudes like 'if you got nothing to hide...' - caring about privacy is today sadly associated with pedos and criminals

This.

There are various tools for that:
>joellehman.com/playlist/
>spotmybackup.com/
>github.com/caseychu/spotify-backup
>just write your own lol

remember when we were taught not to use our real name online?

Because Spotify is more convenient than piracy.
Just don't use it if you don't like the idea of them knowing you listen to nightcore eurobeat.

That would have been nice. As a child, I got memed into using my real name everywhere by mentally defective autists like esr. Now whenever someone Googles it they find inane mailing list posts written by the illiterate child version of me.

>Because Spotify is more convenient than piracy.
Seems to me like having and owning audio files you've downloaded while being able to play them offline and on any device is far more convenient.
>Just don't use it if you don't like the idea of them knowing you listen to nightcore eurobeat.
But they know more than that.

name a better alternative

Pirating music is kind of a drag. Some of the music I listen to is either not available or not seeded on public trackers, and I don't like private trackers and botnets like SoulSeek very much.
(Of course, there is some stuff that you can't find except on trackers and SoulSeek, which is why I do also pirate music and keep foobar2000 around.)

>offline and on any device
Spotify is much more practical for listening music on multiple devices. I have a desktop, a laptop and a phone, and keeping music in sync across them would be extremely painful. You can also download music for offline playback

Regarding the El Reg article:
>Spotify does not have GPS or motion data access on my phone
>I don't use any of the social features
>I don't have a Facebook account to connect it to
The most concerning thing Spotify can actually do is know my mood at any given time based on what I'm listening to, which is kind of creepy but not data that would be useful to anyone.

>owning audio files you've downloaded while being able to play them offline and on any device is far more convenient.
This.

this reply makes no sense because spotify lets me easily create playlists and it automatically goes to my phone, i can choose what playlist/songs i want to download and listen to them offline.

>Some of the music I listen to is either not available or not seeded on public trackers, and I don't like private trackers and botnets like SoulSeek very much.
But that's what Rutracker is for if you don't like using Soulseek.
>I have a desktop, a laptop and a phone, and keeping music in sync across them would be extremely painful
I wouldn't say copying and pasting or downloading from a cloud once is extremely painful.
>You can also download music for offline playback
You can, but only up to a limit of 10000 and can't play them without Spotify or at all on devices which don't support Spotify. Also for .
>The most concerning thing Spotify can actually do is know my mood at any given time based on what I'm listening to, which is kind of creepy but not data that would be useful to anyone.
Sure, if you didn't make it past the first few paragraphs. They can collect far more even without connecting to Facebook.

No idea why.
The boom of music streaming made me realize that normies are too dumb to pirate music or grnerally organize their (payed) music collection properly.
My flatmate listens to the same songs on her phone over and over and she doesn't locally save. Shes out of data (4gb plan) all the time.
>inb4 net neutrality discussion with Unlimited© Spotify™ plan.
The extra amount of pointless datatraffic this causes is insane. And people think the solution is faster networks.
Something like Netflix at least has original content and people usually watch the stuff only once and don't cause 30x the same traffic.

This whole thing is madness.
>also having to like what spotify tells you
I get the convinience but soon everyone will listen to the same shit and underground music has no chance of visibillity because of spotify algorithms.

The list goes on and on...

Attached: 1535904921207.jpg (750x749, 130K)

>Pirating music is kind of a drag
this, is the same reason why garbage like steam is popular due to the convenience it brings. nobody wants to find torrents/organize/transfer to mobile every fucking time.

>also having to like what spotify tells you
>I get the convinience
Rateyourmusic.com exists. Far more comprehensive than Spotify could ever hope to be.

whats the best music player?

Rutracker is great but not perfect. I've had a torrent of a Losers album from there queued up for the past two months and it's still at 0%.
>if you didn't make it past the first few paragraphs
Listen, you cheeky cunt, I read the whole thing. I've even read their current privacy policy. Spotify does not know my real address. It doesn't have access to my friends list. It does not have access to location or motion data.
If you can point me to one thing they collect or do that is potentially damaging to me in any way, I will stop using it.

foobar2000 for Windows.
Clementine for Linux and Mac.
PowerAMP for Android, I think.
There are no good music players for iOS.

Listening to 128kbps MP3s and ads after 2/3 tracks.
Isn't it beautiful?

They don't ask for that though you tard. Either way if you are gonna sperg out that bad about
>muh privacy
just put a fake name and shit you brainlet

You can stop that easily, why is everyone in this thread a brainlet.
Piratefag here I use Spotify for songs I can't find anywhere else and I use a program to record them and then I am done

cmus

Yeah I don't login with Facebook I I don't use a third party application through Spotify

Funny enough that was made In compliance of Facebook's terms of use. But in a sense is a giant cluster fuck because when you sign in with facebook, Facebook has access to all data but vice versa for the app so if have a second app signed in with facebook with speads info accessible by Spotify through Facebook it's fair game.

Just don't sign in with facebook.

I suffer from privacy fatigue.
I just wait for my fascist friends to free me from this (((capitalist))) nightmare.

Glowing with the lights on

>pirate music
>rip CDs

I don't actually see any issue with the type of data Netflix collects. They don't serve ads on their platform, so it's not like they're using any collected information to sell to ad networks. All they do is use metrics to produce more shows that they think will be popular with their userbase.
Its the most benevolent use of data election I can think of, since the sole purpose is to improve their service.

>when you sign up to the Spotify Service, we collect certain personal data so you can use the Spotify Service such as your email address, birth date, gender, and country.
>we will receive personal data about you and your activity from third parties, including advertisers and partners we work with in order to provide you with the Spotify Service
>Personal data collected through your use of the Spotify Service:
>Information about your interactions with the Spotify Service which includes the date and time of any requests you make, songs you have listened to, playlists you create, video content you’ve watched, and your interactions with other Spotify users. This also may include details of your use of Third Party Applications and advertising you receive.
>User Content (as defined in the Terms and Conditions of Use) you post to Spotify including messages you send and/or receive via Spotify and your interactions with the Spotify Customer Service team.
>Technical Data which may include URL information, cookie data, your IP address, the types of devices you are using to access or connect to the Spotify Service, unique device IDs, device attributes, network connection type (e.g. WiFi, 3G, LTE, Bluetooth) and provider, network and device performance, browser type, language, information enabling digital rights management, operating system, and Spotify application version.
> Spotify may also subcontract processing to, or share your personal data with, third parties located in countries other than your home country. Your personal data, therefore, may be subject to privacy laws that are different from those in your country of residence.
And this is not all. Has the spoonfeeding been to your satisfaction?

>underground music has no chance of visibillity because of spotify algorithms.
That's where you're wrong, because the algorithms does the exact opposite and is a great way for people who are into niche subgenres of music to find even more niche artists.

t. faggot who is introduced to

Got nothing to hide.

I'm fucking poor, good luck trying to rob me something.

see

How any of that is damaging to a fucking loser like me?

maybe you should pay those two bucks then

Thank you, but none of this is all that concerning. This looks like the same kind of information e.g. Google gets when I watch YouTube videos.

Worth it compared to letting a 3rd party have control of your media. I don't know how bad it is on Spotify but the amount of bitching I hear and see about Netflix dropping show X or Y was enough to make me never subscribe to a streaming service. I'll just spend a little extra time organizing my collection then enjoy the fact that I know it's not going anywhere.

>digging in dumpster of dead links and zero seeds
>sucking dick on private music trackers
>translating cyrillic mumbo-jumbo to download bootleg cd rip from vlad
>well at least i own my music and it's free! it just requires some time, which i have plenty of, cause i have no job or life.
>also recommendations are botnet, i prefer to waste hours asking some losers for their picks.

I wrote a script to rip and organize CDs. While you're renting music I'm spending that money on an ever growing collection I can actually see

>paying full cd price for two singles worth of material
The biggest cuck there is.

>not using a cracked version of spotify with fake names and email
I shiggy diggy

>paying full CD price for an album of songs, the CD, the jewel case, and the paper with the album art and lyrics
FTFY
Also it's rarely full price

>I don't know what Soulseek or Rutracker are

>translating cyrillic mumbo-jumbo to download bootleg cd rip from vlad
Here's the relevant part for (you), again, because obviously reading is not your friend.

>buying physical music cds in 2019
lmaoing at your life

How is reading not my friend? I literally spoonfed you the answers and told you the alternative to that site Russian people that you so hate run.

I buy Blu-rays too

Because I listen to too much music and it's far more convenient to listen to it before I download it. Plus I travel a lot and wouldn't be able to fit all the music I want to listen to unless I bought a 500+gb microsd card. Also why does it matter if Spotify knows what music I listen to?

>Plus I travel a lot and wouldn't be able to fit all the music I want to listen to unless I bought a 500+gb microsd card.
I'm sure you have great LTE coverage whenever and wherever you travel. Seems super convenient to constantly re-download everything.
>Also why does it matter if Spotify knows what music I listen to?

Is not that I have something to hide, it's that I have nothing I want you to see, user.

I mean I do, the only time I've had LTE issues was when I went on vacation, but for everyday use my receptions pretty great.
I care about privacy when it comes to a lot of things but when it comes to music why would I give a shit. What the fuck are they gonna get from me listening to shit that's not even marketable, if I was listening to a bunch of top 40 shit id get it, but I don't.

>Seems super convenient to constantly re-download everything.
Are you a third-worlder (read: American)?

>What the fuck are they gonna get from me listening to shit that's not even marketable, if I was listening to a bunch of top 40 shit id get it, but I don't.
Read what I've quoted and perhaps read the tread you're in?

Not that I should disclose any personal information here, but how does it work when you're streaming music? You don't have to re-download everything and have unlimited fast LTE everywhere?

REDacted
even poOPS is better than spotify.

From what I've read they dont know any more than google already knows about my android, or any other social network i use. I dont have anyone added on spotify either

Any app on your phone (potentially) collects this. Any website you visit on the internet (potentially) collects 70% of this too.
And since this information is more valuable than it costs to store you can bet the majority of services collect it just in case.
That's what the GDPR tried to address.
I'm not saying that privacy policy is fine but if you have an issue with it I hope you don't own a smartphone and email yourself webpages Stallman style or else you're completely fucked.

Nothing is stopping you from downloading retarded amounts of music and investing time to constantly create new playlists for free.

They're not collecting anything you haven't given away by participating in social media already, so why single out Spotify? If privacy of your personal information is your chief concern there are more egregious players on the board.

Are you really so oblivious you don't think every app and website does most of that stuff?

> You don't have to re-download everything and have unlimited fast LTE everywhere?
You basically gave away that you're a third-worlder, do you have any idea how big a 320kbps track is? You act like I'm streaming 4k videos on jewtube

Foobar2k for windows
deadbeef for lincucks.

I can literally watch 1080p youtube videos on my cellular network with no data cap for less than $40 a month.